Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Manic depression in kids (or lack thereof)
Created On 5/30/15 10:36 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mouse
Senior Supporter

5/30/15 10:36 PM
User is offline View users profile

I wanted some advice regarding my daughter who is almost a teen. For many years now she has gone through mood swings. At times things have been bad enough she's been suicidal (the effects of bullying in school.) She has never been hospitalized mostly because she never has been in imminent danger and she doesn't act on the thoughts (or express them at the time she is feeling them.) My concern is recently she has been quite moody. The therapist a while back did say she likely is manic depressive but too young to diagnose or medicate as such. Either way, my daughter is resistant to being medicated due to some really bad experiences in the past. Is there anything that can be done for my daughter before she becomes an adult? Does she have to continue to suffer mood swings constantly??? Is there anything natural you could suggest? She is more open to natural remedies and I can't handle the moodiness much more .

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/31/15 8:35 AM

There was a study conducted by Harvard that found the combination of omega 3 and inositol worked as a mood stabilizer without the more toxic side effects of Risperdal, Abilify etc. My teenage daughter also made a video about Bipolar Depression which perhaps your daughter may relate to.
Can Google: Deanna Price How to Deal with Bipolar Depression.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
Www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

young
Supporter

5/31/15 6:57 PM

Dr price,

How much omega 3 and Inositol should an adult take if they want to try it as a mood stabilizer?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

5/31/15 7:01 PM

Can try 1000mg omega 3 and 4500mg twice a day of inositol.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

5/31/15 7:39 PM

Edited: 6/1/15 at 7:11 AM by wishtobehappy

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

6/5/15 5:03 PM

How much omega 3 and Inositol do you recommend for a preteen who weighs about 125 lbs?

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

6/5/15 5:16 PM

Inositol 9000mg twice a day and omega 3 1000mg a day. Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
Www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

6/21/15 7:34 AM

My daughter took a lower dose of Inositol and it seems to be helping. She can't get over the smell of the fish oil capsules. How important iis the fish oil. How soon should we see improvements????? My daughter I think is a train wreck waiting to happen . I'm glad she''s not suicidal, but she makes me VERY suicidal when she cries from depression. Can't handle much longer. And when she's happy it's almost artificial....can't stand this.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

6/21/15 8:00 AM

There is omega 3 in the form of Sage oil which is not fishy. My daughter made a video about "How to Deal with Bipolar Depression."
Maybe she would find it helpful to understand herself better? Let me know.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
Www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

6/22/15 6:42 PM

I saw the video made by your daughter. It was great since it comes from someone my daughter can relate to but she doesn't yet have a firm diagnosis and I dont want to freak her out with the video mentioning it. The good news is her mood has finally calmed -- just in time for the summer when her brother is home. (We DO want him to survive the summer!) We have only seen positive in her behavioral changes so far. I'm hopng it continues.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

8/17/15 5:48 AM

My daughter tried taking the Inositol and Omega 3. it worked wonders for her. However, now she is having difficultiess again and the Inositol seems to have stopped it's beneficial effects. Before it made her calm and less likely to verballly attack her brother and a few other people. But after a wwhile she became just as irritable as she used to be. Any ideas of either how to get the Inositol to work again or any other ideas. When the inositol worked, it's the best she felt in a long time and even her therapist was impressed.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

8/17/15 9:17 AM

Inositol may work better in food than in drink. It also appears that artificial colors (and possibly artificial sugars) reverse its beneficial effects. The best dose is that just below the threshold of diarrhea which may be anywhere from 1/2 tsp twice a day up to 3 tsp 3x a day. To make it easier to take, Ostreicher's cookies just released Calmintol Cookies with Inositol. 3 cookies is about 9500mg which is about 2 and 3/4 tsp. (Dr. Price receives no compensation from Freeda, Nutrisupreme, Ostreicher's or any Inositol manufacturer). Let me know how you make out.

Rabbi Price, M.D.
www.RabbiMD.com

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.