Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Personal Directives
Created On 1/24/06 1:10 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

BubbeSarai
Junior Supporter

1/24/06 1:10 AM

I am in the process of tidying up the loose ends of my life. I have a rare, untreatable, degenerative and always fatal medical disorder. My health situation is also quite volatile. Each "event" could be fatal... or could leave me further disabled (which has been the case). I absolutely do NOT want to be kept alive in a vegetative state. My family do not support my choice for a personal directive. However, I know that my husband and sons are having difficulty coping NOW as my physical health continues to decline. I do not want to die but I certainly do not want to decline much further either. I have a happy, adjusted but full life. I take 30 mg. Celexa daily for what has been diagnosed as "reactive depression". I am not suicidal and have no intention of ending my life. My husband disagrees and considers my disinterest in pursuit of further medical intervention to be a form of passive suicidality. So... in all this mental meandering.. just what is my question? I am not really quite sure myself. I have a signed and notarized Personal Directive but don't know if this is what I want. One of my doctors suggested it might be a good idea to help give them some guidance during critical events. It all just seems so harsh and cold. Friends keep telling me how very strong I am and how they all just admire me so much. Really doesn't help you know. I just want to sit down and sulk in a great big puddle of tears and feel sorry for myself for a bit. I am quite tired of being all brave and strong and making all the right decisions for everybody else and helping everybody else feel better. I am even tired of telling medical staff that it is "okay" when they hurt me. So... you are the expert here... Dig through all this drivel, figure out what I am asking... then give me the answer. And don't tell me to see a psychiatrist.. I see one... very nice fellow, but I have somehow gotten sucked into wanting to make HIM feel better by convincing him that I am coping so much better since I started seeing him.... And I can't even tell him since I don't want him to feel bad. ARRRRRRGH! I really am nuts aren't I.

-------------------------
Moulded from dust... Be ever mindful of the insignificance of where you came from.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/26/06 11:36 PM

It's hard for me to even know when to begin without knowing you as a person, psychologically and spiritually.
I can tell you about another true situation. I was asked to visit the home of an extremely chronically medically ill person whom had virtually no hope of recovery. The family thought this person was depressed and maybe if I could help alleviate the depression the person would recover. We ended up meeting at the home every Tuesday night (Tuesdays with....) and our talks were more about life, children, G-d, afterlife, writing memoirs, poems, songs, and art etc. culimating in a peaceful feeling that we could someone make sense of our brief time in this world. At first, I resented being cast by the family into the role of fixer or miracle worker. In the end, these were some of the most meaningful discussions I think the two of us ever had in our lives. If you are interested, I would recommend engaging in such an open, honest relationship and letting at least one person know how you truly feel.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

BubbeSarai
Junior Supporter

1/27/06 1:01 AM

Ah, but you see there is the problem. You are quite right in that it would be good for me to have a close confidante to speak openly with... but I have never learned how. I have spent my life as a listener (my imma, of blessed memory, told me you learn more that way). As for my faith, I listen.... you learn more that way. I do quietly shake my fist and let g-d know every once in awhile that I am not so sure things in the world are being done the way they ought to be.

The difficulty is that I no longer have the physical or emotional energy to be the one people come to and the one everybody counts on. How can I grieve the loss of my own life if they are so unwilling to accept that I am dying?

Regards, Sarai

-------------------------
Moulded from dust... Be ever mindful of the insignificance of where you came from.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

1/27/06 1:24 PM

I forgot to mention. The other function I had in that person's situation was as a liaison to the family helping them better understand the individual and cope with their own fear and anger. After a lifetime of giving and listening, it may be time for you to receive back.

Good Shabbos,

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.