Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Stimulant medications & playing with your personality
Created On 2/23/06 6:28 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

hyper-happy
Junior Supporter

2/23/06 6:28 PM

Hi Dr Price - quick question regarding personality and stimulant medications ie : Adderral ,Concerta , Ritalin etc ..... When one is medicating their personality with the above mentioned stimulants, it gets kind of grey as to where your true personality ends and the fabricated/ medicated /altered personality begins. But my basic question is what would technically be considered a happier state of being a ) a happy/ hyper/ full of laughter/awesome personality but cant hold a job-kind/marriage/relationship kind of person or b) a dull/ humorless/no personality / functional but holding a job/marriage/relationship etc kind of person.Just curious if you had any opinon on the matter.

-------------------------
"he jumped up on his horse and rode off in all directions " Don Quixote..... "Life - its nothing like the brochure"

Edited: 2/23/06 at 6:30 PM by hyper-happy

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/24/06 12:31 AM

Great Question. I think the answer is: none of the above. I would like to believe that with insight-oriented therapy/teshuvah one can achieve a true sense of self and find one's niche in the world that is in sync with the fully actualized personality, neither medicated to fit an artifical role nor running amok. If your medication is zoning you out, perhaps it is a side effect that may be alleviated with a reduction in dosage or an alternate class of medication such as non-stimulants.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

hyper-happy
Junior Supporter

2/24/06 12:49 PM

Awesome Answer - you definitely know how to mix the realistic rums,medicinal vodkas and spiritual liquors for a perfect mixed life drink .You should totally become an emotional bartender-it gets kinda hard when u gotta mix the emotions for proper balance. Rabbi /Psychiatrists are a very rare breed but great combination you got the spiritual knowledge and the medicinal knowledge.(i can help with the alcohol knowledge anytime)Regarding my question (which had been a little exaggerated to assist in making my point crystal clear) basically when a person is living with a given personality the default attitude would hopefully be to find the sparkly side of dull, the fun in dysFUNctional or the proverbial "cup half full" (and keep refilling if he or she is prone to addiction and self medicating). Oliver Sacks an amazing clinical writer and neurologist in his book "The man who mistook his wife for a hat" brings across the point i'm about to make in an very unique story regarding one of his patients - this guy had been living with Tourrettes syndrome since he was a kid and his inner essence and total lifestyle had been shaped and structured with this syndrome.When Dr Sacks had tweaked the dosage and found the perfect balance to alleviate the symptoms the patient Missed his old self and how quick he used to be. He actually missed the symptoms too. He had nothing to fall back on once he was medicated ..... in the end i think they worked it out that he was medicated during the week for functionalism and weekends for fun.So my point is basically that for someone with adhd who quite possibly based their whole life structure and inner essence on the positive personality traits -if some of that energy gets used up with the Adderral what does he or she have to fall back on . Stimulants are awesome for using up excess hyper energy and focusing on menial tasks and functional functions.But sometimes they use up the quick humor/ sillines/ and the need for thrills and excitement .And then you may as well just close up the hyper/ humor shop and sit in a cubicle and work and be dull or marry and be duller (no offense to marriage or anything) .but this will not necessarily make you happy.

"he jumped up on his horse and rode off in all directions " Don Quixote..... "Life - its nothing like the brochure"

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

2/25/06 9:15 PM

Ultimately, each person has to find their own individual balance in life between the mundane and the wild. Some creative types I know work as doctors and lawyers all week and then jam with their bands on weekends to let loose their creative energy. Some are fortunate enough to earn a living with their creative energy as writers, artists or comedians. Some find a balance such as entertainment lawyers or psychiatrists to the stars. It's really just the neshoma (soul) trying to breathe and live within the confines of the guf (body).

Just wondering if you were on or off your on your medication when you wrote your reply.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

hyper-happy
Junior Supporter

2/26/06 9:52 AM

Experiencing the inner equilibrium associated with tweaking the 50/50 balance between the mundane and the wild is about as simple as exploring the relationship between Love /antidepressants such as prozac and the dopamine hijacking phenomenon recently discovered.As for the being a psychiatrist or Lawyer for the movie industry folks idea , I actually fall into the being a fabulous fun file clerk for the exciting Lawyer/ Psychiatrist catagory . If I had been on the Adderrall when I started off in college ........... As for your question regarding had I been on medication when replying- no I wasn't - actually i'm in between prescriptions and trying to convince myself that i dont really need to renew prescription as i'm perfectly happy being hyper and everywhere .In addition to the Adderrall costing roughly between $170-$180 (with no applicable coupons and or discounts usually available) for 120 10mg pills which could net you a seasons pass ticket to Six Flags Great Adventure with Hurricane Harbor park included. A perfect place to focus/channel and utilize the excess energy in a positive fun thrilling enviroment .

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.