Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Being Excessively Happy When On Prozak
Created On 3/20/06 2:28 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

eps
Supporter

3/20/06 2:28 PM

Dear Dr. Price:

I felt very pleased with your response to my last message, as I probably will when you reply to this one.

Given that one of the possible side effects of Prozak is being excessively happy, how can one determine that the happiness he or she is presently having is beyond the normal level? As most of us understand, happiness is the goal of the average person living in the world. To the best of my knowledge - I might be wrong -, Prozak is given to people who feel excessively sad because of their depression. I find it kind of hard to believe that someone who has been very sad for quite some time and has just managed to eliminate that sadness taking Prozak would ever feel that there is something wrong with him or her, however too high he or she might be.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely

EPS

-------------------------
epsimon

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/20/06 9:46 PM

I think the goal in life is balance, not too happy and not too sad. Too happy would be a state where one is experiencing a non-functional happiness as in mania. Mania may include impulsive spending, sexuality, hyper-religiosity, excessive talking or inappropriate laughter. Taken to extreme, people have lost their job, spouse and shirt without much insight. This kind of "happiness" is sad indeed.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

eps
Supporter

3/22/06 1:15 PM

Dear Dr. Price:

I certainly appreciate your having responded so soon.

I do understand that excessive happiness is just as inappropriate as is excessive sadness. It is out of the question that balance is crucial in life. My point is how someone who has been hit by an excessive sadness should realize that there is something wrong with him now that he is excessively happy. Of course, I am by no means talking about someone doing some crazy things; I only mean someone who is just happy. Is there a way in which someone could measure his or her happiness to find out whether or not it is within the normal level?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely

-------------------------
epsimon

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/22/06 7:39 PM

Functionality. If neither you nor anyone else finds your mood or behavior inappropriate, maladaptive or dysfunctional then you are probably fine.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.