Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: 12 year old girl with anxiety
Created On 3/30/06 11:17 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

aviva4
Junior Supporter

3/30/06 11:17 AM

My daughter is suffering from "school phobia" and "anxiety". She is on 50 mg zoloft. She is doing better; ie, attending social events, b'nai mitzvah, making plans, doing homework, working with a tutor, seeing a psychiatrist, being more cooperative...however, she is still not attending school. I am concerned about her. I am also concerned about the school agreeing to keep her status as a student. One administrator told me that even if she keeps up academically part of the school experience is attending and they may hesitate to let her stay on and move up to 8th grade with her class. Do you have any thoughts on what I can tell the school to help them agree to let her stay and be with her class? They have granted her an extended absence so far. I know she will get it together, make up the work, and eventually attend school. Also, we are seeing a psychiatrist who came highly recommended from frum and nonfrum sources. I have concerns that while he is Jewish he is not frum. Is there anything in paticular I should be asking or telling him in this regard?
Thank you for your input.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/30/06 10:59 PM

In my experience, a letter from the doctor has incredible weight with schools and other institutional bodies in terms of developing a plan of action and obtaining all sorts of special dispensations. I think you should discuss the situation with the Psychiatrist. Most Psychiatrists do not do in vivo behavior therapy which may be the final push needed. "In vivo" means that the therapist would accompany the child outside the office in various settings which produce anxiety relaxing the child all the way throughout the process of moving from the most benign to the most feared situation. A behavior therapist may perform this service working in conjunction with the psychiatrist.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

aviva4
Junior Supporter

3/31/06 7:57 AM

Thank you so much for your helpful input. This is a truly wonderful service you are providing. Have a good Shabbos.

Bottom

aviva4
Junior Supporter

3/31/06 8:03 AM

Dear Dr. Price,
I just happened to see some other questions to you that make me want to back up and ask you if you have any direction for me as to how to approach getting help for my daughter. She has not "bonded" with this psychiatrist "yet", has only seen him a few times though she has been on the Zoloft for a few months now. Is there anything/anyone you feel would be helpful? Thanks again so much. Good Shabbos,

Bottom

aviva4
Junior Supporter

3/31/06 8:06 AM

Hi again Dr. Price, I realize I neglected to tell you my location when asking you for recommendations/referrals. We are in the chicago area. Thanks again.

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

3/31/06 9:52 AM

If the Psychiatrist has only seen your child a few times over several months then most likely the Psychiatrist is primarily doing medication management. Most psychotherapies require at least weekly meetings. You can contact the international mental health referral agency called Nefesh (www.nefesh.org or maybe .com).

Good Shabbos!

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

aviva4
Junior Supporter

4/1/06 8:27 PM

Hi Dr. Price,
Just to clarify...the psychiatrist is now seeing her weekly as of the past three weeks. Originally he thought it best to see me and direct me on how best to handle her situation. Thank you for the referral resource.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.