Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: 13 yr old stealing
Created On 4/2/06 4:44 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

8isgr8
Junior Supporter

4/2/06 4:44 PM

I have a very strong suspicion that my 13 year old son is stealing, from my purse, tzedakah boxes and his siblings. He is always buying things and very vaugue about where he got the money from. Once my 11 year old complained that he had $20 in an envelope next to all the other childrens envelopes that had their chanukah Gelt in it. He was missing the $20 but his older brother had an extra $20 in his pocket that he was asking if he can go out and buy such and such with. I asked him where he had the money from he said his chanuka gelt. When I checked his envelope all his chanukah gelt was there but his brother was really missing $20. So I asked him about that and he said, Oh, I mean I took it from my wallet which has some of my birthday money in it. When I asked him if it was possible that by mistake he took the money from the wrong envelope, not realizing it was his brothers, he said yes it is posiible and handed it right back to his brother. If he had not taken it in the first place he would not willingly give it back.
Secondly there is about $200-$300 missiing from the general pushka in the house.
Thirdly for a while now I felt that money was disapeating from my wallet. The other day I left 2 50's as a test, thinking he would no way take such a big obvious amount. Well I checked the next day and sure enough there was only 1 50 in there. I made a general comment, "Hey, I'm missing $50" and he got all red in the face and says "SO" I then asked him if he knew anything about it and his eyes were darting all over the place as he answered me.
He has also been failing in school lately and been signing my signature on test and weekly report cards.

There is something definately going on with him and I think perhaps he should see a phsychiatrist to try and figure out what it is.
I just need to know how to deal with this. Do I scare him or threaten him that I will take him to the police. Do I punish him?
I need help!!!!

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

4/3/06 1:45 AM

I would recommend that he have an evaluation with a mental health professional. You can tell him that you know of a person who talks to kids about school, life etc. and helps them out. The evaluation will probably involve 3 parts: a meeting with the parents alone, a meeting with the child alone, and a final meeting all together. By the end of the evaluation you should have a better understanding of what is going on at school and home and how to manage.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

8isgr8
Junior Supporter

4/3/06 9:35 AM

Is there anyone you can recommend in Brooklyn, NY area?

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

4/3/06 9:53 PM

I feel most comfortable with using referral agencies such as ECHO and Relief since they keep tabs on outcomes and client satisfaction and thoroughly interview and check credentials on clinicians. \

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.