Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Drug resistant depression
Created On 4/3/06 2:24 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

4/3/06 2:24 PM

Hello Rabbi/Dr. Price,

I have been battling depression for over 35 years now. I have tried almost every drug, and done much therapy, to no avail.
I have come to the conclusion that this is something I will have to live with the rest of my life.

I do NOT feel comfortable with this condition, as some have suggested. During the few brief days in my life when I felt life was worth living, I liked it and wanted it to continue.
But I feel like this darkness is impossible to shake. There is something within me that causes me to crave death.
The other day, I heard of a mid-40 yr. old man who died of a heart attack. I was down all day, because I was envious of him.

Are there some people who are destined to go through life living as I am?
In your experience, can a person who has been depressed for decades lead a normal life?

Thank You,
Ernie

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

4/3/06 11:11 PM

I have seen some people who thought they had tried every alternative only to find the magic cocktail of several different medications and therapy that clicked. That being said there is an evolutionary hypothesis for refractory depression which in a twisted way promotes survival. This theory posits that as long as one is dis-eased there is a magnetic force which pulls others in to help and support this person. Once well, these supports disappear leaving this person vulnerable and alone. A viscous cycle indeed but can also be broken with therapy. Where there is life there is hope and where there is hope there is life. Hold on, my friend. There is a purpose even in suffering.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

4/5/06 7:21 AM

Hello Dr. Price, (Do you prefer Rabbi?)

Thanks for your prompt response. I understand what you are saying re: the theory of people being drawn in to help and therefore my unwillingness to get better.
But I really believe that does not apply here as when I experienced a few good days, I said to myself this is wonderful, and I wish it could always be like this.
But unfortunately, the feeling soon dissipated.

As far as drug cocktails are concerned, my pdoc has tried many and is not ready to concede defeat.
It is hard though to try some of this things and drive to work when you know your driving is impaired.

What are your thoughts about ECT?
I almost did it this past summer, but the pdoc who I met with felt that in my case, the odds of success were not that great.
That combined with my concern with short term memory loss (it would be hard to run a business not remembering what I told a customer the day before) made me feel the risks are not worth the try.

Thanks again for your work here,
Ernie

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

4/5/06 8:28 AM

There are new methods of ECT nowadays which try to minimize short term memory loss. Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is another great alternative. It has fewer side effects using magnetics to generate electrical current. Also vagal nerve stimulation. Have you considered Bungy Jumping or Sky Diving? Now that really gets the juices flowing like ECT without the memory loss. You get a whole new perspective on life after an experience like that.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

4/5/06 1:24 PM

Thank You again Rabbi Price,

I had read about magnets being tested for depression a few months ago. Do you know where this is being done?
The odds of catching me bungee jumping or sky diving are about the same as me being elected the next pope.

Ernie

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

4/5/06 10:48 PM

In what area of the world are you for a referral. Chances are that rTMS will only be found at major academic medical centers.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

4/10/06 6:39 AM

Hello Rabbi Price,

I live in the NY metro area.

Chag Kasher V'samayach!

Ernie

Bottom

Dr. Price MD
Psychiatrist

4/10/06 6:03 PM

The Columbia/Cornell mental health system should have a site where rTMS is performed. Check out the website of New-York Presbyterian Hospital for contact info.
Let me know.

Rabbi Price, M.D.

Bottom

stillfighting
Supporter

5/3/06 12:44 AM

i have read that the netoreous ru-486 pill works extremely well for t.r.d this is the same medication used in abortion.this is no joke.ask your pdoc if he thinks this might be right for you. it has a very good success rate. it is said to control the cortisol horemone when taken in high doses, i.e higher than what is recommended to women who wish to abort. this is again not my advice just look in pubmed or other scholerly journals.

i wish you luck

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Ask the Psychiatrist < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.