Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Hospitalization/IOP/other options
Created On 1/4/07 1:37 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Bas Sara
Junior Supporter

1/4/07 1:37 PM

I feel like I've fallen back several years in recovering from disabilitating depression. I'm on meds that keep me off the deep end hash v'shalom but I've been going down crying despairing. I see a psychiatrist, I see a therapist. In the course of this, there are a huge amount of stressors that leave me overwhlemed. I thought about going to the hospital. The psychiatrist suggested and IOP - intensive outpatient program that is primarily groups. I've been in groups before several times and quit because I don't talk and do anything much. I don't know how to decide wether to do this, wether to give it a chance, etc. The psychiatris is trying to get me into a psychoanalysis program but the organization that helps low income patients is very slow to process.

I'm on disability, I also work a stressful job with lots of noise and interuption but also in other ways a "safe" environment because its in the community.

I don't know what to decide. I'm so tired of deciding everything.

-------------------------
"All the world is a very narrow bridge, the most important thing is not to fear at all" -Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/9/07 12:29 AM

What is the nature of your problem? Why are you so depressed? Is it triggered by events or does it come randomly?
a lynn

Bottom

Bas Sara
Junior Supporter

1/9/07 2:07 AM

it's triggered by a lot of stress, feeling overwhelmed and helpless, and so tired of deciding everything and anything about not just my own details but my son who's got his own issues that i'm starting to get help for. it's really too much for one person; I find it hard to believe Hashem gave me what I can carry, the load is just too heavy already, locked in a box with no quiet, no peace, having to be constantly doing something or wanting to check out and not deal w/it and then it's worse. The depression is recurrent in my life, anniversaries of bad stuff this time of year, and all the emphasis on family when i have none but my son. nowhere to go, no means to go. and at the same time wanting alone, feeling lonely that big black hole is going to consume me with its emptiness. seems the wrong kind of nullifcation to Hashem's will.

"All the world is a very narrow bridge, the most important thing is not to fear at all" -Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

1/11/07 3:47 AM
User is offline View users profile

There is a group called Recovery, which uses cognitive psychology to help with stress, emotions, etc. I know they do meet in Church buildings, and very often NOT in the sanctuary itself. its a NON relligious group, but it deals with these kinds of issues. Its based on a book called Mental Health Through Will Training by Avraham Low. Its a "old" method, but really works and helps by giving you tools to use when you're worked "up" about how to work it down. They have a website which may help you find a group near you www.recovery-inc.org. I have found it to be very helpful indeed.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/11/07 11:29 PM

Thank you, SU.
Bas Sara-
You have been in therapy before- what has worked in the past? Have you ever done meditation?
a lynn

Bottom

Bas Sara
Junior Supporter

1/14/07 2:55 AM

Dr. Lynn,
I have been in therapy on and off a long time and straight through now since 1998 or so. What's worked is having a therapist who's empathic and feels like they genuinely care and offer positive reinforcements, with a bit of awakening positive ideas, hopes, dreams for the future. But none of these therapies lasted. One I've moved and moved like the proverbial wandering Jew, and two, therapists come and go with their own life. Lots of transitions. I haven't done meditation. I don't get enough quiet I find. Right now it is so hard to hold things together there is really too much. I feel fragile.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.