Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Support Groups forming
Created On 11/15/09 3:23 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

tlmhnow
Supporter

11/15/09 3:23 PM

Support Groups Forming

For More Information Please Email

tlmhnow@live.com

Please Include:

1- The nature of your issue, ex: anxiety, depression, parenting, etc.
2- Your gender and approx age
3- Where you saw this ad
4- Your City and State

Accepting Some Insurances

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/17/09 11:28 AM

who are you?

Bottom

tlmhnow
Supporter

11/22/09 12:46 PM

Hi Dr. Lynn,

I am actually a frum person whose been around the block, shall we say with the mental health world and I am working on forming support groups with Simcha Fuerman LCSW-R for men and Aviva Biberfeld, Psy.D for women. Both are wonderful, licensed proffessionals who are interested in starting groups.
I myself am not a proffessional and would like to organise support groups and in general increase awareness in the frum community. I have seen the ugly side of mental 'health' and feel that there is a lot of work in this world/community around these issues that remains to be done. In the secular world there is a much more open and accepting attitude toward mental health. It is just like any other illness. The stigma is not so much like in the frum world and it would be so great if there was more awareness in the orthodox world. I would like to remain annonymous and appreciate that respect.
These groups are forming as we speak, we do need a few more people in both though at this time.
There is a charge which may be reimbursed under Timothy's Law and it is also going to be 'closed' for each four week cycle running.

Have a nice day,
tlmh

Edited: 11/22/09 at 8:52 PM by tlmhnow

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

11/23/09 9:42 PM

i dont think such posts should be allowed.
we dont know who u r.
Why dont Simcha Fuerman and Dr Biberfeld post this message?
Why should any of us trust you?
Why would any one send an email with such private information to an anonymous person??

What do others think?

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

11/30/09 6:31 AM

I am working with timhnow@live.com to get these groups off the ground. Simcha Feuerman LCSW is really experienced in mental health and writes for the Jewish Press weekly and I went to Aviva Biberfeld PSYd and she is great. Anyone who wants more information, before giving out your info, is welcome to e-mail me as well. RutieEta@gmail.com. This will really be exciting!

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

11/30/09 6:33 AM

Originally posted by: Braining
I am working with timhnow@live.com to get these groups off the ground. Simcha Feuerman LCSW is really experienced in mental health and writes for the Jewish Press weekly and I went to Aviva Biberfeld PSYd and she is great. Anyone who wants more information, before giving out your info, is welcome to e-mail me as well. RutieEta@gmail.com. This will really be exciting!

P.S. sUPPORT groups/group therapy is much cheaper than individual therapy and that's a real boon!

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

11/30/09 12:34 PM
User is offline View users profile

I agree with Debbi, as a rule it pays to be extra careful.
Dr. Lynn would it be possible for you to contact Simcha Feuerman and/or Aviva Biberfeld?
Kol Tuv,
Aba

-------------------------
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

tlmhnow
Supporter

11/30/09 7:33 PM

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you know that Aviva is doing screening right now so if you'd like to contact her directly, her private practice # is 718-437-6995. Please in the message let her know that you are calling regarding the group.
Simcha will not be screening so... I guess if anyone is hesitant they can contact him directly. I have not spoken to him yet but will and get back to the forum with a phone number.

Good Luck,
TLMHnow

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/13/09 12:12 AM

Aba,
I have no problem contacting anybody, since I feel protective of everyone here. What would you like me to find out?
a lynn

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

12/14/09 5:50 PM

Dr. Lynn,
>What would you like me to find out?
Just to call them to make sure everything is on the up and up.
>since I feel protective of everyone here.
Thanks.
Kol Tuv.

"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/21/09 2:53 PM

Aba,
Please be more specific what you mean by "up and up". Do you want me to find out if they are in good standing regarding licensure? What are the nature of the groups? If they have experience running groups? I have no way of knowing if they are good therapists. Please let me know what you want me to find out.
a lynn

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

12/21/09 4:11 PM

>Do you want me to find out if they are in good standing regarding licensure?
>What are the nature of the groups?
>If they have experience running groups?

I have to admit I didn't have a specific thing in mind but your ideas seem like it would cover it.

>I have no way of knowing if they are good therapists.
Fair enough

Like always thanks for your help.
Kol Tuv.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/23/09 12:14 AM

Beli neder, I will research these questions. If you think of other concerns, please post publically or privately to me.
a lynn

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/23/09 12:19 AM

Aba,
I will also (B"N) look into cost and requirements (diagnosis, time commitment) for the groups.
a lynn

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

12/23/09 12:18 PM

I hope no one thinks I'm trying to make trouble I really think this is a great idea and I hope it works out for everyone. I just feel that as a general rule we should be overly cautions and things should have outside verification.
Kol Tuv.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/28/09 5:08 PM

I think your concerns are totally legitimate, and have left messages with the questions. Will post as I know more.
a lynn

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/3/10 12:17 AM

Ok. So the info I have so far: I exchanged phone messages with Dr. Aviva Biberfeld (sp?), and she said that she was not the one organizing the group, but she will be the one screening people and running the group. Since she is not the organizer, she could not give me specific info, so I will need to contact her again (after the Nefesh conference). The groups are going to be separate for men and women, diagnoses of depression and/or anxiety, they will probably meet in her office (Brooklyn?), and the format will be short-term (about 4 sessions) support grp for a cost of $200-250. I don't know why the grp is so short term, I don't know how large the group size will be, I don't know how long the sessions will be, and I don't know the extent of her experience running grps. Regarding Simcha Feuerman, I was given the wrong number, so I will pursue it further. I will pass along info as I receive it. If you have other questions you want me to ask, please ask on this forum or send me a private message.
a lynn

Bottom

tlmhnow
Supporter

1/6/10 3:07 PM

Hi Dr Lynn,

I am so glad that you are making contact with Aviva and Simcha directly to verify the information. The groups are set up so that people have a choice after 4 weeks to discontinue if they don't feel they want to make a longer term commitment. Also, the price is dependant on the number of participants.
Another point I'd like to mention is that the groups are related to depression, anxiety and social related issues for both the men and the women. Also, finding Simcha's # should't be too hard as he is the President of Nefesh this year.
Good Luck and I look foward to starting a movement (of groups),
TL

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/6/10 3:33 PM

I posted more questions on the other thread. Could you please answer them?
Thanks,
a lynn

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/6/10 3:35 PM

Is there a maximum number of people per group?
Thanks,
a lynn

Bottom

tlmhnow
Supporter

1/9/10 9:50 PM

Hi Dr Lynn,

The minimum is 5 and the maximum is 8. Anything past eight will be the begining of a new group.
I'll answer your other questions.

TL

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

2/8/10 12:39 PM

I am also starting a phone support group for females.
I do not go on this site often so if you think you may be interested, please ask away, but send an email to RutieEta@gmail.com.
Don't miss out on the opportunity!

Bottom

tlmhnow
Supporter

2/20/10 10:23 PM

Hi Dr Lynn and All,

Simcha had his first group this week and it meets on Tuesday nights. Mazel Tov! so if anyone wants to contact him directly he can be reached at 718-793-1376 or email at simcha_chaya@excite.com

Good Luck to All,
TLMH

Edited: 2/20/10 at 11:30 PM by tlmhnow

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.