Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Feedback on EMDR, anyone?
Created On 5/2/06 11:05 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

az
Supporter

5/2/06 11:05 AM

Feedback on EMDR, anyone? I'm interested in hearing from people who have tried emdr, what has your experience been like?
Positive and negative feedback is much appreciated; I seek info on this kind of treatment so that I can make an informed decision before investing my money and energy.
Thanks a lot for any info.
az

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

5/2/06 1:50 PM

Hi az,
Yes I have experience doing emdr.
I found it extremely benificial in helping me move forward when I got stuck in therapy.
However the experience is powerful, and it is therefore important to find someone you trust, as well as someone who is competent and experienced.

I would definately not be as far along as I am in therapy, had I not tried emdr.
I have to point out though, that I experienced some harsh side effects, such as disorientation, nightmares, flashbacks. These effects often lasted up to a week.
Sometimes I would wake up in the morning, and not know where I was.

So you need to be careful. But i do highly recommend it for the right client, together with the right therapist.

Good luck!
Debbi

Bottom

az
Supporter

5/2/06 7:30 PM

Debbie,

Thanks you so much for sharing your experience with emdr. You say it has helped you move along in therapy; may I ask how long you've been in therapy? I'm in there for 7 years and it seems like a very long time to me. I still deal with historical stuff, if you know what I mean.
I find it very difficult to talk about past traumas, I wish there was a way to make it easier.
Reliving the experience(s) and talking it out within a trusting relationship with a shrink is so therapeutic, yet I wish there was a way to get through this more easily. It's the reexperiencing and the grief/angst that I'm now able to expereince (whereas it's been suppressed and repressed for many years) that are so agonizing yet liberating.
Iwould like to say that I wish I didn't need to reexperience it in therapy, that there should be an easier way of getting past childhood trauma. And yet I find it necessary to reexperience in the context of a safe therapeutic environment, it brings about purging of repressed stuff and the purging is followed by relief and regaining of energy and then there's the sadness, loss, rage, and ultimately acceptance of the injustices of ignorant adults who did not protect the helpless kid.
And because it is so difficult to face and be with these emotions, I have a hard time talking about stuff. And I believe that's what's keeping me in therapy for so long.

For example, this past Sunday as usual I met with my shrink I talked a little about childhood trauma (abuse) and after about ten minutes I had to stop. I said to her it's too hard for me to talk about it. She gently prodded me along but I had reached my limit. My emotional circuit was loaded to capacity. So I leave the office and week after week after week I can talk alittle bit and not more. There are weeks when I totally don't talk about it. We talk about other things, day to day stuff, about the kids, about stuff I do, etc. But I feel so unaccomplished when we spend the time thus. Yet it's so difficult to talk about the HEAVY DUTY stuff. How can I get through this so that I don't sit in therapy another 7 years? Or is this normal?

Can anyone relate?

Please share your experiences and perspectives so that we may support each others.

Thank you to all!

az

Edited: 5/2/06 at 7:36 PM by az

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

5/2/06 10:43 PM

Hi az,
Yes, I agree that talking about the "real" stuff is extremely difficult, if not often impossible.
i have been in therapy for six years, and for the first three years I couldnt talk much about anything. Instead I would write short essays describing my experiences, and then at the end of every session, I would hand my little note to my therapist, and run for the door.
We very rarely discussed what was written on those papers.
I couldnt talk about my experiences.
But then slowly after seeing her four, five sometimes six times a week for a long time, I began to trust her more and was able to open up.

But then we reached a point where I was totally stuck. Couldnt talk. Very depressed. All I could think of was how to end my life.
Thats when I did emdr.
And it worked. It pushed me in the right direction, and allowed me to continue the work.
But as i said earlier, you have to be very careful not to be re-traumatised which I believe is a possibility.

While doing emdr the events seemed so real, that afterwards it felt as though it really happened. On my way home I would walk through the streets of boro park, wondering why no one was noticing that I had just been molested or raped and beaten. It all seemed so real to me. The feelings and thoughts were exactly the way they were all those years ago.

I think emdr is very helpful, and definately shortens the therapy time. I too have no wish to endure another 6 years of therapy!!!!
So if you choose this method, make sure you find a competent therapist, and always be aware, and on top of things.

good luck.
let me know how it works out.
tc
debbi

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

5/24/06 4:24 PM

Hi Az,

Was wondering how you are doing, and if you made a decision about emdr?

Let me know whats going on.

debi

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.