Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Losing Therapist
Created On 5/6/06 11:00 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format

aquabelle
Supporter

4/30/07 12:49 PM

it can take time to get the meds right. some ppl can't tolerate anti-depressants so they have to go on anti-anxiety meds instead or vice versa. give it a chance, as weird as it is and as much as u don't want meds, they r helpful and they take the edge off so u can deal w/ the underlying issues. give meds a chance, it doesn't sound like u'll b on them forever, just long enough to stabilize and deal w/ the issues.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn
Supporter

5/4/07 12:19 AM
User is offline View users profile

There are so many great things that came up in this string. First of all, I am so happy and moved at all the outpouring of love and support between you. I have really missed you all and the opportunity to communicate.

So, it is totally natural to have mixed feelings about getting attached to one's T. For many of us, it brings up so many old issues of trust and dependence. I have noticed that during the course of a long-term treatment, there is a shift that occurs. The shift is from seeing therapy as a "medical necessity" to eventually a "life enhancer". I think this is a sign that the patient is getting healthier. People also often feel relieved when I tell them that they don't have to be "sick" to enjoy and benefit from therapy. Rather than holding the postion that therapy is for the weak and the sick, I maintain that therapy is actually for the strong and courageous. The weak ones avoid addressing their issues. So, for those of you making the monetary and time investment to enhance your lives, this is actually a sign of growth and self respect!
a lynn

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

5/7/07 10:46 PM

These last few days I've really been feeling down.
Things are getting pretty hard again (w/things going on at home...)

Last night, I wanted to cut sooo bad.
Instead I took a marker and wrote on myself. I drew over the old scars that are fading.

The meds aren't helping at all.
I'm giving them one more week to kick in. If they don't, I'm going to get myself off them. I hate the side effects.

Sorry for sounding so negative.

Trying to continue,
'Holding on'

ps - thank you Dr. Lynn

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

5/7/07 10:53 PM

Glad to see you came up with an acceptable alternative to cutting. That was quite creative! You can still be proud of yousrelf for NOT cutting. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make.

-------------------------
Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/8/07 5:54 PM

sorry about editing it but what i said may be ofensive to people end of story

Edited: 5/8/07 at 6:10 PM by avious101

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

5/8/07 5:57 PM

ok, edited.

Edited: 5/8/07 at 6:07 PM by su7kids

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/8/07 6:09 PM

thank you so much i really apreciate more than you know

Bottom

Dr. Lynn
Supporter

5/9/07 12:21 AM

Holding On-
After another week, call the MD and address meds issue. How many weeks has it been on this regimen?
a lynn

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/9/07 8:08 PM

i no this isnt a spelling forum but what does regimen or somthing like that mena sorry i no im stupid but i cant help it

Edited: 5/9/07 at 8:09 PM by avious101

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

5/9/07 10:43 PM

I've been on 10 mg of prozac (well, the generic of it anyway) for two weeks and just started taking 20 mg yesterday - (prescribed, don't worry!). It says it can take up to 4 weeks to kick in.

I'm not happy about taking them altogether, but I promised my T I would give them a try, so here I am taking meds that haven't helped yet and just added annoying side-effects.

Dr. Lynn - if I stop it one or two days early - will that really make it or break it?
thank you for your advice.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

5/10/07 9:01 AM

Hi HO,

It is a known thing that Prozac can take a while to kick in; sometimes as long as six weeks.
Also, 10 mg. is the SMALLEST possible dose. Sometimes 60 or even 80 mg. are needed to get relief.
Each person reacts differently.
As far as side effects, talk to the pdoc. about them. There are newer Prozac 'type' meds. that have less side effects.

You really need to be patient and give it a chance to work.
Please do not get discouraged!!!

Ernie

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/10/07 6:49 PM

prozac also ddnt work on me but i only took it for a month then i went to the hospital and they changed it there

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

5/11/07 1:26 AM

Originally posted by: avious101
i no this isnt a spelling forum but what does regimen or somthing like that mena sorry i no im stupid but i cant help it

If you go to google and type:

define: regimen

it will give you definitions.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/11/07 3:01 PM

i would but im scared it has somthing to do with mentsl health r meds and then when they see i googled it theyle ask me where i heard of it

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

5/11/07 3:17 PM

Definitions of regimen on the Web:

(medicine) a systematic plan for therapy (often including diet)

A treatment plan that specifies the dosage, the schedule, and the duration of treatment.

A program of treatment, including doses and scheduling.

a combination of drugs and how they are administered.

Refers to the specific doses and the specified times to take medications.

A regimen is a plan, a regulated course such as a diet, exercise or treatment, designed to give a good result. A low-salt diet is a regimen.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/12/07 9:25 PM

thanx

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

5/21/07 2:24 PM

This Shabbos I had a really bad allergic reaction to the meds.
I couldn't breathe, chest felt tight...
It was pretty frightening. B"H it went away after a while, but now I can't take the meds.

Bottom

Belly
Supporter

5/21/07 3:12 PM

Holding on how are you doing otherwise?

Did you talk to your doctor about your reaction?

How is it with your T back?

I also always want to manage everything without meds, .... but is it really worth it? Why are we taking so much upon ourselves? I was just thinking about the good sides of being on meds. How much easier life was when I was on stronger stuff. Yes I did have some side effects, but what's better? There is no perfect answer to this question. You need to find the right answer to for yourself, but I really want to stress the point that what ever you decided talk to your Doctor about it. It saves a lot of problems. You don't have to agree with your doctor's opinion, but let the doctor lead you in how to lower dosage, stop taking meds, or switching them.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

Hugs Belly

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/21/07 5:49 PM

Holding on-
are you shure its from the meds?
have you been getting theese side affects scince you started?

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

5/21/07 11:27 PM

I still have my days when things are difficult, but I'm working hard at T and I feel as if we're really covering ground and getting somewhere. It's definately hard work, but it feels good.

I didn't speak to my pdoc about my reaction, but there's nothing to do until after Yom Tov...

Deciding to take meds or not is always going to be a question as to what is better - side effects...

Avious - I'm pretty sure it was from the meds bec. all the symptoms were exactly what they described an allergic reaction to be. It took me a bit of thinking to figure out that it was from that though.
I have never had these side effects before.

Belly - Thanks for checking up on me!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

5/21/07 11:46 PM

Hope things improve. Have a good Yom Tov.

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/22/07 12:53 PM

Holding on you dont have to capitalize the a in avious101 im not that special wait a second !!!! what am i saying im not special the only thing unique about me is the amount of hair i pulled out!!!

Edited: 5/22/07 at 12:54 PM by avious101

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

5/29/07 11:29 PM

Hi all,

This last week or so has been really hard for me.
As they worn, if u stop the meds, like I had to, cold-turkey, the depression can worsen.
Well, it definately has worsened for me.
I haven't cut, but the thoughts are there more often then ever b4.
I'm really struggling to continue "holding on".

Avious - You are special and unique. You wont convince me otherwise.

Thanks for listening

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/30/07 8:31 PM

o sorry i forgot what i was gonna write isnt it just so anoying when your replying to somthing with more than 1 page and you cant see what your replying to? i always have to try like 5 times to remember

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

5/30/07 8:39 PM

first of all it turns out it was really all one page
ok so why did you play cold turkey shouldnt you have gradually went off it i dont no maybe you did go gradually b/c i just recently lowered my celexa/citilaphram/lexapro (whatever you want to call it) and added prozac and my anxiety went back again and sadly im sorta scared of throwing up again (luckily not to the extent that i stopped doing it )
wow your really strong not to cut keep up the good work
oh an dthanx for the compliment i guess my therapys final actually starting to work

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

5/30/07 9:08 PM

HO,

Sorry ur struggling so much right now. I can relate b/c I've hit a rough spot. What works for me when I have the urge to cut or do other self destructive stuff is that I keep reminding myself that these awful feelings won't last forever. I also remind myself over and over that I can do this, I can beat this, and if I give in and do s/t self destructive it will b harder the next time to not give in. I also surround myself w/ ppl who support me, call my T even on days I'm not supposed to go and tell my T i just need support, and I pamper myself a little. It takes the edge off. Also, keeping really busy during the day and taking s/t to help me sleep at nite helps minimize the urges.

Hope this helps, hang in there,

Aquabelle

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

6/2/07 11:47 PM

Thank you for the continued encouragement.

Avious - I had to go off cold-turkey bec. I had a bad allergic reaction to my meds.
Also, please remember that therapy might have helped you feel better, but you are still the one doing the work. You can be proud of yourself and yes, even take the compliment!

Aquabelle - thanks for the tips. It's tough, but I am trying.

I have an appointment w/ the pdoc for Thursday. I will hang in there in the hopes of getting some relief.

Thank you again, and gut voch,
Holding on

Bottom

Dr. Lynn
Supporter

6/26/07 12:35 AM

keep "holding on"
a lynn

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

6/27/07 12:25 AM

thank you, Dr. Lynn.

I've started on a new med and it has B"H helped me A Lot.
Also, in therapy, I feel as if I'm really making progress.
It felt soo good when my parents noticed that I was smiling more...

After this real bad low, I can't believe things are finally looking up.
I haven't really thought about cutting in the last four days, which is such a big relief.

be well,
Holding on

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

6/27/07 3:24 AM

Happy to hear the good news. May you go from strength to strength.

I haven't seen a post from Ernie for a while, but I know that he and others gave alot of support for this. Yasher koach.

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.