Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Paying my therapist
Created On 5/7/06 1:51 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

div01
Junior Supporter

5/7/06 1:51 AM

Hi, everybody,

I'm interested in your opinion, therapists' opinions even more so.

I'm currently paying my therapist a reduced fee of $80. When I began seeing her some years ago her standard fee was $125. I believe her current fee is $150. Obviously the reason I pay a reduced fee is because there's a real need. Thanks to her generosity therapy is affordable for me. Even with the reduced fee I had to forego necessities such as cleaning help and new underwear just to be able to pay my weekly fee of $80.

B"H the tide has turned and Hashem has brought upon me good times, financially speaking. (Psychologically, I'm still waiting for the tide to turn....) I am now able to increase the amount I pay her. Thing is, if I begin increasing my payment amount I am concerned the well will soon run dry.... I am a single mom and my income comes from freelancing. Because of the good times, I am now able to afford cleaning help once a week, and a babysitter once a month, and new underwear, and swimming lessons for my child, and Shabbos shoes for another, and a pogo stick for the third......

I keep turning this around in my mind: if I increase my payments to her, my well may run dry. As long as there's water, perhaps I should use it to make my life a little easier. Perhaps I should use some of the money to go with my kids (or without) to the country?

Y'see, she gave me the discount because I really wasn't able to afford the full fee. My question is, now that I am able to afford the full fee, do I pay it or do I use this shefa of money to lighten my burden at home, with the kids, etc.

I look forward to hearing from you,
div01

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

5/7/06 12:19 PM

Hi Div01

Can you discuss this with your therapist? Do you think she would understand if you explained it the way you have explained it here?
I think that would make the most sense. If you are sincere, and you feel that you would like to pay her more, but are worried about the future, then tell her.
It sounds as though you are having a hard time deciding who comes first, your T or you kids.
Thats a tough question, and I think the best person to help you with it, is your therapist herself.

I actually have that dillema now myself.
Do I really need three X per week, or can I manage on twice? And if I can cut down to twice, then I can in effect pay my therapist her full fee.

I have struggled for so long to pay her, and it would be such a relief to have that burden off my shoulders for a while.

Good luck Div, I hope you can work this one out.

P.s (I would love to hear from therapists and how they view the financial side of things, and their aspect of Div's problem))

Debbi

Bottom

div01
Junior Supporter

5/7/06 12:35 PM

Thanks, Debbi, for your input,

I prefer to not discuss this issue with my therapist due to a previous experience with her regarding money.

Bye,
div01

Edited: 5/21/06 at 1:03 AM by div01

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

6/21/06 12:37 AM

Hi gang,
These are really good questions, and when it comes to money, I think all parties are often uncomfortable. When I give patients a discounted rate, I usually tell them that when they are making more, that they agree to readdress the topic of my fee with me.
A Lynn

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

6/21/06 10:55 AM

As a therapist weighing in on this subject, I second Dr. Lyn's words...
if/when I agree to reduce my fee, I am essentially "making peace" with the idea that in all likelihood I will probably be getting this amount from this client so long as I am providing therapy. I have yet to have a client come in and inform me that due to recent financial improvements, they would like to pay my regular fee - it would be nice if that were to occur. I guess we trust our clients to have their own judgement about this...

Bottom

bubbles
Supporter

6/23/06 12:33 AM

Actually, if I ever won the lottery the first person I would give money to would be my therapist.

I guess some of us do appreciate the dedication and caring that most therapists offer...

I suppose that if the therapist were to be up front about his needs and expectations it would be the best way of handling it.

At one point in my treatment, my therapist allowed the money to come in between the relationship, and we had a hard time extricating ourselves.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.