Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: cognitive (something) therapy
Created On 6/12/06 10:14 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

6/12/06 10:14 AM

my mom wants me to do it for anxiety issues. has anyone had it? does it work? does anyone know anything about it and stuff? is it normal? are the people who do it strange?

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

6/12/06 10:14 AM

****oh and by the way when i said "the people who do it, are they strange" i meant the psychologists not the patients who go to see them.

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

6/12/06 12:16 PM

http://www.cognitivetherapy.com/ppt_1.html

watch the slide show.
it will give u all the info u need

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

6/12/06 12:24 PM

Hi KLY!

I do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy now with my therapist. She is not weird (nor am I, for that matter- but don't ask my kids for their opinion!).
All it is about is a method of showing you that many of your thoughts are incorrect.
Let's say someone says something to you or me that seems cold and uncaring, or seems upset at us.
You (and I) right away assume that person doesn't like us, or is angry at us.
Cognitive Therapy points out that maybe there are other things going on in that person's
life that we don't know about, and that is what caused them to act that way.
Most likely the way they treated you or me has nothing to do with us.

These incorrect thoughts which can occur 100 times a day, can cause alot of distress and depression.
CBT teaches you to recognize that, and not let these things get you down.

No reason to be afraid of it. You'll see, it makes alot of sense.
You just need to like the therapist and be comfortable enough to tell him/her about things that bother you.

Keep posting, you're doing great!
Ernie

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/11/06 2:45 AM

my mom keeps promising to get me a therapist but she HASNT. i've been really really really confused upset and hopeless lately and my mother has not backed off at all. she's as controlling and annoying as ever. i've been "threatening" suicide alot lately. i know how immature that is. i just get so worked up and sad and angry and hopeless at once that it just sort of blurts out of my mouth. and every time it happens i run off to my room and scream at her not to come in (she doesnt let me have a lock on the door so i have to sit infront of it to prevent her from coming in). its so unpleasant. all i want is someone to talk to. all i want is some help. someone to vent to. something. and each time that happens with my mom she promises that she'll find me someone. of course she promises. she always promises. she just hasnt yet.
i dont understand why.
i dont understand why life has to be this way.
i dont understand ANYTHING. and no one else does either. so everyone and everything sucks.
and yeah i dont think i have a point with of this whole rant except that i need some way to vent and since my mom wont get me a therapist i dont know how to do it.
thats all.
sorry for wasting your time.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

7/11/06 9:37 PM

Hi KLY!

First of all, you are not wasting anyone's time here. No one is forced to read these posts.
Second, I find it very encouraging that you have posted things over the past few days, that
have showed genuine concern and caring for others.
Doesn't that give you a good feeling?
I know it helps me alot when I can offer some encouragement to someone else
who really appreciates it. (As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago you had some really
nice things to say to ME, and I thought it was great).

Finally, what does your Mom say when you ask her outright why she hasn't gotten you a therapist yet,
when you are clearly mature enough to recognize that you need and can benefit from one?

Ernie

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

7/11/06 9:40 PM

P.S. I forgot one thing. Everything does suck. But if me and you killed ourselves, alot of other people's lives would suck much more.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

7/11/06 11:19 PM

yeah i guess thats true my mom tells me about how its been really hard for her to find one. she was going to ask her friend about finding one but her friend is a very busy person and stuff kept coming up, then my mom was too busy. then my mom told me that it's hard to find a cognitive whatever person that's a male to begin with and then she has to find a GOOD one so its like impossible she says. but the truth is she never brings it up with me. i keep having to ask and beg her about it. i just wish she'd like do something. like i'd rather try it out with a random person and at least TRY them out to see for myself instead of waiting months for her to tell me she hasnt found anyone but she seems to think that its a waste of money and time. i guess i can understand where she's coming from i just wish she'd actualy REALLY try to find me someone. she promised a couple of days ago she would but i'm honestly scared to go ask her about it because i dont want to hear another guilt speach about how shes doing so much for me and should i just be apreciative and all that.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

7/12/06 12:34 AM

Relief 718- 431-9501 and Echo 845-425-9750 may have the information you need.

If your mother's busy, you might be able to call yourself and give her the information.

Bottom

ytal
Junior Supporter

12/25/06 11:55 PM

killedlastyear : it seems to me DBT is something u could benefit from ( this is a form of CBT not just any CBT) .
i dont konow who practice it

Bottom

rockybrown
Junior Supporter

2/8/07 7:35 AM

killed last year i totally know how you feel, a yr ago i started CBT and i had shame in the start because i had initated therapy becasue of diary entries that made me realise that i needed help.meanwhile these were not new issues they started when i was young. my mum was just in subconsious denial.basically - youre mother is sending mixed messages (apparently,"she hasnt found anyone" "but she seems to think that its a waste") in relation to you getting yourself the help you deserve. i think that basically youve just gotta pick up the phone and do the first steps yourself.if you want support were all here, behind you, and supporting you to look after yourself the way you desire and deserve.oood luck- i admire youre maturity!

-------------------------
~when the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box~

Bottom

hashemhelpme
Junior Supporter

4/13/07 3:25 PM

I know of a good DBT Therapist that I used in Westchester Dr. Perry Hoffman if you want her number but she is a woman you wanted a man I could actually call her for references for men if you are interested let me know
Gut Shabbos
and GOOD LUCK!

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

6/9/09 12:29 PM

I would be interested i working together with a female on a hands on cognitive therapy or dialectical behavior therapy workbook. Please contact me if you are interested.

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

6/9/09 12:32 PM

I would be interested in working together with a female on a hands on cognitive therapy workbook. Whoever is interested, please respond. It can be by telephone if we don't live near each other.

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

6/10/09 11:41 PM

What do you mean by cognitive therapy workbook?

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

6/15/09 9:18 PM

There are many cognitive-behavioral workbooks.

These are books where there is " homework" to do.

For ex., some books, will ask you to write down your thoughts and feelings and then seeing if it makes sense and seeing if the reality is as depressing as you originally thought.

These books are on depression, self-esteem, optimism, anxiety and anger.
A very good one is "ten days to self-esteem" By david burns md.

There are other workbooks for more specific issues.

There isThe ocd workbook is by Bruce M. Hyman PHD and Cherry Pedrick.

If you or anyone reading this has OCD and would like to work on this book together, you can e-mail me at kloom345@gmail.com.

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

6/15/09 10:29 PM

sounds amazing hard core stuff yet that promotes real growth. good luck! hope u find someone to do the project with, sounds very rewarding..dont hv ocd issues more bpd symptoms....

Bottom

Achdus
Supporter

6/17/09 7:03 PM

Maybe we can work on a book that is helpful for general mental health. Please email me and we can see if there is a book we would both like to do.

My email is kloom345@gmail.com.

I do not have dsl or cable and so don't go to this site so often. But I do check my e-mail at least every other day.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.