Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: dysthimia
Created On 7/25/06 4:38 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Belly
Supporter

7/25/06 4:38 AM

I'm continuing this topic from Dr. Lynn's board.
I'm pretty tired so I hope I won't make too many spelling mistakes. :-)
To Tulip's questions
I'm still with the same T. If you are interested what my argument was about you can read my thread : I'm so mad at my T.
I'm scared of switching to CBT. A long time ago I did go to CBT. It helped me back then, but I don't like their kind of "cold and unsympathetic" attitude. I need a warm, supportive and reassuring atmosphere. Maybe I can find someone who can combine all of this with CBT.
My theory is that therapy will help give you the emotional support you were/are missing. Once you get to a more healthy stage you will notice that things get better. There is a time that I did feel dependent on my T. but I think it's like a relationship between parents and children. They depend on us as they grow they get physically and emotionally more independent. Now I feel stronger and I don't depend on my T. It's helpful to go, but I could live without.
Regarding believing in yourself my friend helped me (she was not aware of it) She once told me that she is amazed by all the things I do. All these things I take for granted she thought were wonderful. So I started watching myself from her eyes. I wrote down all these little things I do every day. I couldn't believe how powerful this was!
A while ago I started thanking myself loudly for doing things. After brushing my kid's teeth I would say: Thank you Mammy for brushing my teeth and making sure they stay healthy. Thank you Mammy for washing the dishes…… Ok I don't do this 24 hours a day, but I do it and it makes you more aware of all the good thing you do all day long. Seeing all the good things you do shows you first of all that you are not worthless. YOU are worth a lot! Taking care of all these little things that everyone takes for granted is a lot and you don't have to be a doctor or lawyer to be worth something. It's actually interesting. I made a spelling mistake and my co worker explained to me the difference of the meaning. My answer was, well one day I'll learn how to spell. His answer was: You are doing a great job. My coworker sees all the words I spell correctly in a foreign language. I see the mistakes I make. I got aware of it and just gave myself a pat on my shoulder. I read the book Feeling Good by David Burns. I got lots of ideas from this book on how to work on things.
Nothing works over night! I went trough lots of ups and downs and I hope that now is a long term up. One of the things I still have to learn is that if I do have a few days where I feel down, it's not the end of the world. I'm allowed to be upset sometimes. I don't have to smile and be happy all the time.
I still have to work on things. I don't think that everything is over, but hearing from the psychiatrist that I'm doing much better sure is a boom to my self esteem.
I hope I answered all your questions. If not just keep on asking.
Belly

Bottom

tulip
Supporter

8/22/06 12:03 AM

Belly, thanks for your response!

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.