Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Please help-at the end of my line
Created On 12/19/06 1:19 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

brooklynmom
Junior Supporter

12/19/06 1:19 PM

Hello,
This is my first post here. I was referred to this site by a friend. I really really need help. I have been married for almost seven years, we have two little girls (ages 6 and 19 months) and expecting our third child in March, iy'H. My husband is a good person but we are very different and have had marital issues since the beginning. We've been to therapy on three different ocassions now, all not successful and we stopped going. My husband was also recently diagnosed with ADD and depression, but he is seeing a psychiatrist who is very incompetent (in my opinion) and he is not getting the help he needs. Finally, our situation is greatly aggrivated by the fact that my husband lost his job in November and we are VERY short on money. I work full time, always have (because he never really had very good employment) and hate being away from my kids. Basically, my husband and I barely talk, I feel like things are just getting worse and worse, between us, financially, and in every sense of the word. I am keeping myself together only for the sake of my girls (and the baby inside me), but my husband is working around sulky, angry at the world, very moody, etc. He acts as if only his feelings have validity here (HE is the one out of work, and depressed about the money). We need to find a GOOD therapist desparately. I have tried Echo and Relief, they didn't find anyone who takes our insurance. I absolutely cannot afford to go to one who does not take insurance. Tikva won't return my calls.
Please please help --any good referrals in Brooklyn or Manhattan? I prefer someone frum.

Thank you and happy Chanukah (at least someone's should be)...

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

12/19/06 11:01 PM

Sorry to hear how difficult things are.
Have u tried the Jewish Board of Family services? You can find their number in the phone book.
I have heard that they have competent therapists.

debbi

Bottom

brooklynmom
Junior Supporter

12/20/06 6:31 AM

Thanks for responding, Debbi. Yes, tried that. This was the first place we started. We had a good therapist there for a while, but then she had a baby and left. After that, we were switched to two different ones and neither worked out.
I guess I may try it again, if I find nothing else, as the situation is getting desparate, but I wanted to see if I can get any referrals for a specific therapist from others.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

12/20/06 9:01 AM

I do have a name of an excellent therapist, but she charges around $100 a session.

Let me know if u r interested.

Please feel that you can talk here. There are lots of people reading and responding.
We will support u as much as we r able.

take good care.
debbi

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

12/20/06 9:03 AM

just wanted to add, that this site has helped me tremendously. There are days when I feel so alone, and I can come here, and know that someone is listening.

Hope u will feel comfortable being here too.
Welcome!

debbi

Bottom

brooklynmom
Junior Supporter

12/20/06 10:21 AM

Thank you so much again Debbi. I read many posts, including some of yours, before I decided to post, and I see what a tremendous resource this can be. As someone else already said before, you yourself are obviously going through so much, yet you find it in your heart to help others. What an amazing person you are! Thank you again.
Things are a little better today, I guess. I was really despodent yesterday after having a big fight with my husband, which was mostly my fault. I just got so overwhlemed by how little money we had, and with Chanuka here and all the expenses, I felt it even more. And I got angry at him because his personality is so different from mine -I am abitious and a go-getter, and he is sweet and tries hard, but just not so pushy. I did see later yesterday that I acted mean to him and though the issues are all there (from the lack of money to our very different ways of relating to each other and life in general), I have to keep my feelings in check in front of him. Obvisouly, unemployment is hard for him, too, he feel like a loser enough, without my adding to his low self-esteem.
So I am continuing my efforts to find a good therapist and trying to keep a postive outlook on life. I always tell him that Hashem's salvation can come in a blink of an eye, and I have to focus more on that myself. It's harder on some days than others, as I am sure you know.
Thanks for your offer to recommend this excellent therapist -I think if I had to pay $100/ session now, I'd go into even a greater depression, but I appreciate it so much!
Take care, too, and have a wonderful Chanukah.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/9/07 12:20 AM

What insurance do you have? I can put out a search among colleagues. You can private message me if you like.
a lynn

Bottom

brooklynmom
Junior Supporter

1/9/07 12:27 PM

Empire BCBS PPO
Thank you!!

Bottom

Supporter

1/9/07 10:10 PM

Dr. Lynn,
While you're at it, would you please also put out a call for a female therapist who takes Americhoice, in Brooklyn? Quite urgent! (clinics have a long wait time, and this is quite URGENT). Thanks!

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

1/11/07 11:24 PM

Brook and 123,
A couple of questions:
1) Where are you located?
2) Does the therapist have to be frum?
a lynn

Bottom

brooklynmom
Junior Supporter

1/15/07 11:30 PM

1. Midwood, Brooklyn
2. Preferrably, but not a must
Thanks again.

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

1/27/07 11:04 PM

Have you tried reading Harville Hendrix's books like "Getting the Love You Want"? It might provide you with some insights while you find a therapist. Also, some insurances allow you to go out of network and will pay something after you meet the deductable so over the year it's a lot more money that in-network but less than paying it all by yourself. There is also an organization, it's new I think, in Brooklyn to help people pay for therapy. sorry, I forgot the name. maybe somebody saw an ad about their fundraiser in one of the publications. Hatzlacha Raba.

-------------------------
frumsw

Bottom

abruck
Junior Supporter

2/14/07 3:25 PM
User is offline View users profile

go to www.theBruckGroup.com

if you like what you see, give me a call

-------------------------
Avrohom Bruck, EFT-Adv, TAT, BSFF
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Holistic Alternatives For All of You!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bottom

jumprope
Junior Supporter

2/25/07 4:24 PM

Dr. Lynn,
I am interested in a female psychodynamic therapist, who accepts Americhoice. If this is not too tall an order, would u be able to make a referral? I live in brooklyn, prefer to go to a frum therapist, but if there's a better one who happens to not be frum, i'd go for that. Thanks

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Therapy < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.