Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Is there an end? (poss. trigger)
Created On 2/14/07 6:11 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Holding on
Senior Supporter

2/14/07 6:11 PM

I recently slipped up again. Pretty bad. I couldn't control the bleeding for over half hour. As everyone has told me, it only gets worse every time you do it. Is there an end?? Help!

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

2/14/07 10:14 PM

HO - there is an end. i haven't cut for 7 months now and it isn't even an effort anymore to not do it. first of all, if it was bleeding that bad, u should have gone for stitches, and yes, u might have been hospitalized, but that can help u stop. second of all though and almost more importantly, you should join a cbt or dbt program immediatly (most hospitals have them as outpatient) and that will help u learn the skills taht u need to stop and it will also b a supportive atmosphere encouraging u to stop. u can do this. ur capable of stoping. it's really hard and it takes a lot of energy, but if u want it badly enough u can stop it. u can do it.

Bottom

kivunulo
Supporter

2/14/07 10:52 PM

"sheva yipol tzadik v'kom"- the tzadik falls seven time and he stands up, even if you fall seven times if you stand up you are a tzaadik everybody has nisyonos, even if you fall don't despair just pick yourself up and go on in the end the light will shine, be'ezras hashem.

good luck

Edited: 3/9/07 at 3:08 PM by kivunulo

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/16/07 10:59 AM

i was cutting almost every day for the past month and i thought there'd never be a break from it. but i havent in the past week!

i've read alot of places that people eventualy just outgrow it. is that true? how old are the rest of you who are doing it?

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

2/17/07 10:59 PM

I know I probably should have gone for stitches, but a stay at the hospital doesn't exactly fit into my schedule, if you know what I mean I hope it doesn't come to needing to be hospitalized in order to stop.
Do any of you know where can I find out more about cbt or dbt?

KLY - keep it up!
I'm not sure if ppl. outgrow it bec. there are a lot of ppl. who are older and do it regularly. I don't know... MAybe it's just a matter of learning to deal w/ stuff...

Thanks for all your support everyone!
Gut Voch

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

2/18/07 11:53 AM

call a hospital in ur area that offers mental health services and ask if they have a cbt or dbt program. most do and then start going right away without thinking about it too much.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

2/22/07 4:44 PM

thanks for all your support!

My T is going to look into a program for me.
I'm getting nervous just thinking about it!

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

2/24/07 8:04 PM

yes there is an end i have absolutley no idea what a cbt r dbt is but i was hospitalized for suicide and it wasnt for that long and there is an end but you have to want it because it took me a month and a half at a partial hospitaliziton program to learn to stop cutting but its quicker for most people i was just stubborn but what do i no im only 13

Bottom

trachtgutvzeingut
Junior Supporter

2/25/07 1:17 AM

which part of the php help the self-injury? I'm in general adult PHP and the only think i like abt it is the psychiatrist. otherwise, i don't think it really helps w/ s/t like self-injury. what resource do u think is the most effective in treating SI?

-------------------------
tracht gut

Bottom

avious101
Senior Supporter

2/25/07 10:46 AM

the groups and stuff because other people have the same problems as you and i dont really no what helped but after a month and a half in the hospital what do you think would happen but i guess it didnt help that much cause i realapsed 3 days after but i always relapse quick

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

6/16/07 11:48 PM

I haven't cut in a really long time, but it's only getting harder as time goes on.
Isn't this supposed to be getting somewhat easier w/ time?

My T thinks that part of it is what we are discussing in therapy.
Yes I am working extremely hard in therapy, but if this is what happens, how will I ever work through my 'issues'?

Just totally drained and confused.

Gut voch,
Holding on

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

6/17/07 2:03 AM

What if the answer is no? You have, with great effort, persevered till now. And your determination can, with G-d's help, carry you through the future.

Have a Gut Voch. Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

8/2/07 12:46 PM

I can't believe it - I managed nearly 6 months and then SIed.
I feel so stupid.
I've let so many ppl. down.
I was doing pretty well and now I've done it again.
I'm sorry guys.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

8/2/07 2:06 PM
User is offline View users profile

Holding On, I'm so sorry.

But you know what, the fact that you did it before shows you that you can do it again.

Pick yourself up, endorse yourself for what you did, and do it again. You know you can!!!

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/3/07 1:32 AM

Six months is amazing. You deserve a lot of credit.

I hope that things go even better next time, and that you are able to do it for much longer.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

8/10/07 5:34 PM

thank you for your support.

Last night I was talking to someone who had just reached six months of SI-free. It's silly how it was triggering. I thought I was over the fact that I messed up. Guess not, bec. I'm also still picking at the last scar.

Good Shabbos everyone!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/12/07 3:46 AM

There's a story of a boy who was climbing a tree, and he climbed higher than his friends. His mother was standing by, and she later asked him how he had managed to climb so much higher than his friends.

The boy answered, "Because they looked down and became scared. I only looked up."

It stands to reason that thinking about past failures can trigger depressing reactions. By not thinking about it, and just focussing on how much you were able to accomplish, and how much more you will, with G-d's help, be able to accomplish, this motivates and inspires and leads to postive action.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

8/12/07 2:24 PM

Thank you gad - I needed to hear that!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/13/07 7:48 PM

You're welcome.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 12:39 PM

i just started cutting again so going into partial hosp. i have cut in the hospital with no prob. and done other stuff in front of my therapist so there is no stopping me. just giving it another try cuz can't get much worse. full hosp. doesn't fit my schedule as i am a parent and hubby can't care for kids alone.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 12:47 PM

Munkster, what is your motivation to change? Do you have one?

Good luck.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

10/18/07 1:05 PM

i'm sorry to hear u r struggling....i am also...what kind of PHP r u going to? (if u dont mind, where do u live?...i'm sort of curious what options r out there)

good luck!!

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 2:35 PM

my motivation to stop rite now is that one of two things will happen if i don't stop. 1. hubby will find out that i don't just overdose but i cut and other stuff 2.i will prolly end inpatient if i self destruct while in php.

as for type of php program out there, i am going to one for women specifically with depression and/or dissociative disorders (trauma history). i fit both profiles. i start tomorrow and am petrified.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 2:37 PM

sorry i didn't answer previous question fully. the program i going to is in princeton, nj. pretty far commute. better be worth it.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

10/18/07 3:14 PM

is it at princeton med ctr or a private clinic? i hope u dont mind me asking.....i, too, have dissociative disorder, ptsd, major depressive disorder (gosh, my diagnosis list is insane....)....i know ppl who have gone to princeton med for ED and liked it....anyway, its good to know what options are out there.....when i was gonna b hospitalized for trauma, etc, they were sending me to sheppard pratt in baltimore (much farther from me than princeton would be)....unfortunately insurance denied me:-P

good luck tomorrow!!! starting a new program is ALWAYS soo hard (been there doone that many times recently, unfortunately)....just hold on to all the reasons u want to do this, and remember u only have to get thru the first day once!!

Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 3:39 PM

The place is called The Princeton House. not sure if it is related to hospital there other than the psychiatric hospital. I also have a whole host of diagnoses incuding DID. Sheppard Pratt program best to go to for dissociative disorders, but if denied try princeton house. I went to sheppard pratt program about 10 yrs ago. was very good (but I wasn't )
however, due to major cut backs, last time i was in sheppard pratt the program was not as good. i will tell you about the princeton house when i get the hang of what going on there.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 11:16 PM

Good luck, Munkster!!!

My T just found out that I stopped my meds a while ago.
She is NOT happy.
She wants my parents at my next session, wants me back on meds and said she is thinking bout some sort of program for me
She didn't say what sort of program she's thinking about, but I'm guessing group outpatient??
If anyone has experience with this 'program', please can you give me some more info? I am not happy

Thanks,
Holding on

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 11:25 PM

group therapy gone right is when people discuss issues that come up in life and give suggestions and support to each other with the help of a therapist (who often guides the group). in a day program there is a lot of group therapy in different ways for example one may discuss ed,one may art, may be music....My first exerience in one of these groups was funny but sad. I had no clue about empathy. In fact the head of the director who was also my T said I had no empathy and I had ask back-- what's that? I was very provocative towards others and enjoyed setting ppl off to get attnl off of me. until i grew up and understtoood those behaviors, group therapy was uselless. i find out tomorrow whether i will be ok in group therapy. Also, I shut down and refused to discuss my probs thinking everyine else's issues were more important. so don't be like lil munkster. it's rather benign. why u quit meds? i'm medds compliant except when i o.d. me finks you should get a grip and take the meds unless you have good reason.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/19/07 4:57 PM

Went to The Princeton House today. Was ok, i guess. I think so far it's a better program than Sheppard Pratt's 10 yrs ago. But hey, this was just my first day.

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

10/21/07 1:27 AM

sorry to hear that u suffer so much. Glad tho that u have found a place that may help.
i too suffer from self injury. its much better in the past couple of weeks tho. i was hospitalised last winter b/c i couldnt stop, i couldnt even wait until the end of a session,i would go into the bthroom and cut. hspital helped to keep me safe from suicide, but not from cutting. i had a blade in my make up bag,and the staff didnt see it.

let us know how the program is going. i truly hope it will offer u and your family some relief.

wishing u lots of good luck.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/25/07 4:52 PM

first full week at princeton house will end tomorrow. it is going well and working on issues. combined with a reality check from this website, i'm getting a lot out of it. some of reality is quite disturbing, such as worrying about dating and self injurious behaviors and confirming what i already knew and some of "reality" isn't what i thought it was, such as failing to make a connection with anyone including hubby that is/was based on real feelings. i thought everyone in the jewish community was detatched like that and it was a cultural issue, but found out there is at least one other frum person out there who does have feelings for others (so perhaps i'm a little weird). only a few things i dont like in the program so i choose not to particpate...ex....music (i have hearing loss and upsetting when i know i missing out), art (self destructive forum for me), and leisure (i warned my t i will sabotage that if i ever get put in there again.) otherwise i'm satisfied wiht my experience so far.

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

10/25/07 11:32 PM

glad u feel u r getting something out of the program.
I
can really relate to the disconnection thing.
For me, its really not about someone (like my T ) telling me that I need to show more appreciation and love towards my husband. Its not that I dont want to, on the contrary I wish I could. And i cant. It doesnt work. It doesnt happen. And i dont know why not, or how to change it.
I used to be detached from my kids, but that has changed very recently. I dont even know why. Maybe my years of therapy have suddenly kicked in??????
Who knows?

How long is the program over there?

all the best, and have a nice shabbos.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/26/07 5:41 AM

the program here is as long as necssary, affordable (if you don't have disability and living off savings), feasible (if you have a job you must get back to), or insurance coverage (mine is good but difficult to deal with.) i think they said something about avg. stay is 6-8 wks. but not sure...everything foggy in the head. I'm having hard time accepting i am as cold and calculating as my mom or for that matter Hillary Clinton. It's like, you fit what is on my checklist for a hubby, therefore, i marry you -- regardless of mutual feeling of love. BH i connect with my kids (perhaps a little too well) but i also see myself trying to live through them now. i had a conversation with a teacher and needed reassurance my kid may be popular when she grows up and that that was all i truly care about (i know it sounds shallow, but i was quite lonely, as I never made any lasting connections with people).

Have a better shabbos than me. I have a safety plan in place so I don't totally lose it like last wk.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/2/07 2:47 AM

another wk gone by...made a promise to someone that i wouldn't do any kind of self harm....starting to regret it. Princeton house still ok. i feel comfortable there. feel safer there than at home.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

11/2/07 9:23 AM

A great week, Munkster! Very proud of you!

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/4/07 4:34 AM

well, i slipped up in a big way this weekend (including and overdose). i guess there really is no end.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

11/4/07 9:16 AM

Munkster, a slip doesn't mean you're doomed. Pick yourself up, and wipe off the dust and start again. Imagine, you had a whole week where you DIDN"T slip. Lets see if we can make it one day further this coming week, or even more.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

11/4/07 10:43 AM

Munkster, a slip means that there is now an opportunity to do even better.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/4/07 11:20 AM

it wasn't a whole wk i didn't slip it was one day and that was a challenge (guess i wasn't clear in previous email). if my t reads this i know i'm gonna get it big time. if she doesn't read it, i still gotta own up to it on monday at the day hospital. not sure if i will tell what i did, just that i did something maybe. dunno. i'm just frutrated, cuz i feel like i'm working my way up to a bigger od and that gets me nervous. i usually do this to desensize myself to the "big one." maybe i will think twice though cuz i have some kids. so confuzzed.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

11/4/07 11:24 AM

Munkster, let us help in any way we can. You've admitted it on a forum, and now you are ready to move ahead. Take what the T gives you, on the head, and resolve to do better next time, and we're here for you.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/5/07 4:18 PM

I'm not really sure I want to keep trying. I'm getting tired of trying. Tired of not sleeping. Tired of life. Why bother anyway...everything a chore (including eating). Very nervous about my attitude. I know it sucks. Guess I have to keep trying for my kids.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

11/5/07 11:12 PM

Hang in there munkster!

I'm not really the right person to give you encouragement at this time, but you've got to do it, and remember that YOU CAN BEAT THIS!
If you don't have the will-power to do it for yourself now, at least do it for your kids. They NEED you!

Hatzlacha,
Holding on

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/11/07 1:22 PM

nothing like a few days cooped up in hospital and meds increase to change my attitude. still feeling irritable and upset but not quite as bad. btw, anyone considering Princeton House, just warning, women's program is great, inpatient program totally useless and sucks.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

11/13/07 6:21 PM

Hope things improve.

Bottom

Holding on
Senior Supporter

12/5/07 12:37 AM

aaaaahhhhhhh
I've been SI-free for about six weeks
I need to do it so badly... but I really hate dissapointing everyone

Therapy is sooo hard. I know it's not supposed to be easy, but I feel so vulnerable afterwards...
Idk how to explain it.
someone???

help

(sorry for whining)

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

12/5/07 1:02 AM

Holding - you can whine away, because with the whining comes SUCCESS!!!

Great going. Keep on keeping on and holding on!!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/5/07 2:07 AM

Holding on,

Congratulations on reaching your milestone. Hope it continues with ever increasing success, and with much ease.

As for the feeling of vulnerability, it makes sense that after talking to someone about your inner feelings, that you feel like you have removed some of the protective and hiding shield which had been in place till now. And in a way, you have even been hiding some of those feelings from yourself, and now that you are confronting those feelings, you feel somewhat vulnerable.

But it looks like this approach is helping, and with Hashem's help it should continue to help, and we should hear good news.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/6/07 1:12 PM

Another possible factor may be the level of trust and confidence that you have with your therapist.

So perhaps if one has a strong level of confidence and comfort, then there may be less or no feeling of vulnerability.

This is only a possible theory that I have, which may or may not be correct, and which may not apply in every case.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

12/6/07 3:02 PM

Actually, I am finding that the MORE trust and "confidence" I have gained with my therapist....the more I open up to her, the deeper we delve into traumas and issues, the more honest and open and *real* I am with her, the MORE VULNERABLE I feel after a session (and about the therapy in general)....I think this comes from how hard it is to trust someone with such painful things that we have kept hidden for so long, that we have used cutting or addictions or disorders or so many other bad coping skills to repress for so long, and now we are trying to let ourselves trust another person with our "real" selves....if that makes any sense.

I know, for me, I come from such an abusive past, and have had just about everyone either hurt or leave me. Of course, trust is something soo foreign to me, that even as I am learning to trust my therapist, it is soooo scary and vulnerable at the same time. At times, I feel like I'm going CRAZY. On one hand, I know I want to and can trust her...on the other, I keep trying to "test" her and "prove" she's going to hurt me like everyone else. (HAHA...THIS is why i'm IN therapy:-P)

In my humble opinion, I think it's actually a sign that you're doing good work, that you leave feeling vulnerable. I KNOW it feels AWFUL...but just keep reminding urself that this awfulness now is what will ultimately lead to PEACE in the mind someday in the future....that's what i constantly tell myself....G-d willing, that "someday" should be sooner than later!!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/6/07 5:24 PM

Makes sense.

Hope you find true peace of mind soon.

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Self Injury < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.