Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: effective meds?
Created On 9/17/07 9:54 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bubbs96
Supporter

9/17/07 9:54 PM

has anyone been on any meds that has helped with the urges? I've been taking topamax since Feb and it has been fantastic, but it keeps plateu-ing, and we keep having to increase my dose. When I reached 200mg, I started having cognitive side-effects, and had to go back down to 150. But now the urges are back with a vengence.....has anyone tried any other meds that have helped? I'm desperate--I cannot afford another hospitalization (I've been in and out for a year and a half b/c of my eating disoder and self-destructive behaviors and have FINALLY just started working for the first time in almost 2 years....I need to make this work, but I'm slipping back into dangerous thoughts and urges.....)

-------------------------
"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

9/20/07 10:11 AM

cymbalta?
that's what i'm supposed to be taking.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

9/20/07 11:29 AM
User is offline View users profile

KLY, why "supposed to be"? Does that mean you're not?????? Doesn't it help?

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

9/20/07 12:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestion....I actually am also on a super-high dose of cymbalta for my depression....it's moderately useful for that, at best. Not so helpful for the self-injury urges. I've also tried celexa, abilify, and risperdal. We were going to try geodon, but my psych decided not to risk it b/c she wasn't sure my heart could handle it (risperdal almost put me in tachycardia....)
it is torture to live like this. there has to be SOMETHING else i can try....

Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

aquabelle
Supporter

9/20/07 12:50 PM

i used to take seroquel. i didn't really find that it helped. i also took ativan which is an anti-anxiety med that was supposed to calm me down. ativan worked but it's a take as needed med and u can only take it up to like 3 times a day. i don't think the meds r what made me stop cutting. i think it was the CBT, DBT, and individual therapy that helped me make the decision to stop and actually stick to it. it's been 14 months since i last cut. i still think about it sometimes but its just a passing thought and i now have the skills to overcome it. it doesn't take me over like it used to.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

9/24/07 9:19 AM

i take seroquel to help me go to sleep at night.
well really cuz i used to mostly cut at night so that's why he put me on it so i'd go to sleep and wouldnt have to cut.
but personaly i think medications can only make you feel happier. i dont see how they can specificly target the cutting aspect. you cut cuz you're upset. if you find meds that make you feel better you wont cut anymore. if you cut for a different reason (like you just like to see blood) i dont see how you can get a medication to change that.
so i dont see why there is supposed to be specific medications to help you stop cutting. arent you basicly just looking for an anti depressant that actualy works?

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

9/24/07 11:36 AM

I have to respectfully disagree....at least, for my personal experience. True, I am still struggling with depression, but my self-harm urges are a whole monster of their own. I don't exactly know how to describe it, but I am plagued with thoughts, urges, etc of self-harm (racing thoughts), probably more related to anxiety, PTSD, and body-issues....it's like I just HAVE to get OUT of my body and somehow the self-harm effectively dissociates me (not that any of this makes any sense). My psychiatrist says that sometimes these urges are actually frontal (?) lobe seizures, which is why meds like topamax can work to inhibit the urges....if I were able to take anxiety meds, I wonder if that would help, also, b/c I am usually in a very anxious state when I'm thinking of self-harm, but because of my dissociative disorders i cannot take anxiety meds, so i'm kind of stuck.....yes, u r right that meds cannot cure the self-harm itself, but i am looking for meds to help control the urges.....i am PLAGUED by urges, and tho i havent acted on them in months (well, not by cutting....i also have an ED, which i guess is another form of self-harm), the longer i am drowning in urges, the more i worry i will succomb to them and actually hurt myself.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

10/16/07 6:28 PM

I guess everyone is affected (effected?) differently. Sorry i'm of no help.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

10/17/07 9:26 AM

don't apologize.....i appreciate ur trying to help.....i think i was just speaking out of my frustration with having had relief from medication, but having to stop it because of side-effects......i'm a bundle of frustration these days.....nothing to do with u or ur suggestions....i'm sorry, too, if i came accross ungrateful....

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

10/18/07 12:27 PM

I know it's a long shot considering e.d. you have, but how about adderall? helped me.
munkster

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

10/18/07 1:03 PM

adderall helped with cutting urges? do u have add also? (that's what it's normally used for, right?)....u mentioned it might b a prob bc of my ED...does it have weight/appetite side-effects? what kind? topamax has possible weight loss/appetite loss side-effects, too....i had to go on a weight contract when i started it:-P

i'll bring it up with my psych next time i see her....

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

11/4/07 11:36 AM

adderall generally used for hyperactivity but helps me be less depressed and less likely to do stupid things to myself (though it isn't doing much right now). the main problem is you seriously lose your appetite when on it (i lost about 10 lbs with no trying just cuz i was so hyper and happy i didn't have time to eat.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Self Injury < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.