Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Who to call for help?
Created On 12/15/07 8:01 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

mouse
Senior Supporter

12/15/07 8:01 PM
User is offline View users profile

I have been told by my Rabbi that on Shabbos and during the week, I need to call someone before cutting. Does anyone have ideas of people I could call when I have self-injurious urges either on Shabbos or during the week? I know Yittie Laibel hotline exists, but I have been unsuccessful finding the number recently. (I need the Lakewood number.) Any other ideas? The above hotline, once I do get the number, is only good for certain hours and I am awake at odd times with urges and need an outlet for Shabbos. (I have even been told I can go as far as calling a frum friend by having a certain code so they know to answer. I just don't have friends I can talk to about this.) I hope I'm posting in the right category...if I should address it in another category, please tell me too. (I started a question a while back in the "ask the psychiatrist" section about halacha and self-injurious behaviors on Shabbos.) Any input would be appreciated.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/15/07 8:27 PM

If you have a therapist, then perhaps you can call the therapist.

Also, maybe the Rabbi who you consulted won't mind if you call during the week.

Hope to hear good news, in good health. Have a gut voch.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

12/15/07 9:09 PM

I'd call my therapist, but she only checks her answering machine during office hours. My psychiatrist is prolly sick of hearing from me. And finally, the Rabbi who said I can talk to someone on phone on Shabbos, although he is my Rabbi, does not know it's me. (Furthermore, I don't have his phone number, as he has moved -- but I go to him for all halacha/psyc. questions as it is his specialty.) I wish I could call that Rabbi though...would serve him right for saying I must call before self-injuring behavior, plus, I feel comfortable with him, just not really a viable option for a number of reasons.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/15/07 10:40 PM

I found the following Lakewood number for the Yitti Leibel helpline:
908-363-1010

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

12/15/07 10:51 PM

Why not contact the Rabbi, remind him of the opinion that he gave, and ask if he has any advice about whom to call.

Also, maybe the therapist has had experience with this matter, and may be able to suggest a place to call (such as a help line with competent people manning the phones, or perhaps a local hospital's emergency department or psychiatric department).

I hope you are successful with this. Have a gut voch.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

12/15/07 11:46 PM

I am on a similar safety contract with my treatment team, to call before i cut, or purge (bc lately i'm so medically unstable that one purge sends me to the ER with no vital signs:-()

anyway, my first stop is always my therapist. i try to hold on until she calls me back.

if thats not working, the place i'm in treatment has a 24-hour on-call number. u should ask the place where ur in partial (princeton house, right?) if they have something like that...or if not, maybe they know of hotlines.

there ARE 24-hour crisis hotlines. i have used them before, years ago. you can look for the numbers online (try a google search)

good luck

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

12/16/07 5:28 AM

princeton house does have 24 hr hotline just not comfortable using it...i'm not sure they'd understand..also, they have to call back and on shabbos that a prob. cuz no want hubby to know i made a phone call cuz i'm doing that badly. i asked the rabbi who to call and he said i should discuss it with my treatment team. for some reason, i haven't...maybe time to. either way, stay at princeton house coming to an end. i think can't use the number once "graduated" the program.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

12/16/07 5:29 AM

i will look up in phone book crisis hotlines

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Self Injury < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.