Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: skin picking?
Created On 2/23/08 10:15 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

candoit
Junior Supporter

2/23/08 10:15 PM

hi. im somewhat new to the boards.
i was a big cutter in high school, and have been 'clean' for about 2 years. But the reason i put clean in parenthases is because i'm still a skin picker. ill pick at freckles, my scalp, pimples.
is this still SI? its not for the pain, the bleeding, the scars. its just sort of...out of habit. picking at my scalp is the worst because it leaves dandruff... which sort of stinks in a society that wears alot of dark colors! [it shows up :-)]
any suggestions on how to stop? support? advice?
thanks all! you seem like a wonderful group of people

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/24/08 12:04 AM

i wrote about this in the addiction forum i think.
i totaly do this also.
the scalp thing is recent, began this year.
but i've been picking at scabs for around 9 years at least.
i've dug out birthmarks before even (they sadly grow right back in).
i do NOT leave my pimples alone. my mom gets so bothered by it haha. at least the scars always fade from that....

i have no suggestions though since i still currently do all of the above (minus the birth mark thing, i've left those alone for a while).
just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!

p.s. the scalp thing is really the only one that's bothering me, so if you do find a way to stop that please let me know!

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

2/24/08 2:07 AM

Originally posted by: candoit ill pick at freckles, my scalp, pimples. is this still SI? its not for the pain, the bleeding, the scars. its just sort of...out of habit. picking at my scalp is the worst because it leaves dandruff... which sort of stinks in a society that wears alot of dark colors! [it shows up :-)]
any suggestions on how to stop? support? advice?

You may want to ask Dr. Price. It's the last choice on the menu, "ask the psychiatrist."

Edited: 2/24/08 at 2:10 AM by gad

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

2/24/08 3:53 AM
User is offline View users profile

I can relate to the skin picking thing on the head. I just never really associated it with self harm even though I sometimes cause bleeding and often pick at scabs on my head. I have psoraisis and it just feels good to "air" out my head occasionally. I know it sounds weird. It just feels like I'm wearing a tight swim cap when I don't do it and so I figure it's not so bad. I'm not sure if this is much consolation but when I got married and began covering my hair, the dandruff stopped falling on my shoulders. (It get's held in by the shaitel and comes out when I brush it at night or in the morning.)

I hope this isn't considered self harm, as I don't think I will stop it or care to stop it at this time. (Perhaps if you have psoraisis you could related to this.) But if it is self harm, I feel like a total rat because I let my kids scratch my head really hard (not hard enough to bleed -- which would be halachically a problem.) I don't know what to say. The original posting has me scratching my head (no pun intended) and wondering if perhaps what I never saw as self harm really is.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

-------------------------

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

2/24/08 7:14 AM

I think that people with psoraisis do scratch themselves because of the itching. I think they try not to, but they still do it from time to time.

So, although I'm not an expert, it seems to me that there is nothing wrong with scratching the psoraisis sometimes.

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/24/08 8:10 AM

candoit: i think the line of where it becomes SI is if you are causing bleeding and scarring, etc....and that doesn't stop you. Considering where you came from (I, too, struggling with cutting), a "nervous habit" of picking at your skin doesn't seem so bad, as long as you are able to stop before you're bleeding....if not, I think that's still technically SI....but, I still give you a ton of credit, bc it's a very very different level than cutting (at least, in my personal experience of the two).

One suggestion I have: when I was hospitalized over the summer (for my eating disorder, but they also were trying to deal with the cutting--took away all my sharps and had me on safety checks/contracts, etc), I also found myself picking at scars and scabs....whenever it got close to the point (or to the point) that they would start bleeding, the nurses would cover them up with bandaids so I couldn't have access anymore.....just a thought.....good luck!!

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

2/25/08 4:32 AM

Gad, it isn't itching out of itchiness. (Although at times it is.) Usually it is itching to "air" out the scalp or to pick at old scabs or remove dead skin. (Sorry to gross everyone out.) The more I think of it the more I'm wondering if it is teetering on the edge of self harm or if it is a psoraisis thing. I hope it's a psoraisis thing, as my kids enjoy scratching my head and watching the white stuff come out. (That is another reason I do it.) I guess I will have to look at that behavior more closely and see what the motives are. I don't think it is due to wanting self harm. It doesn't give me the same feel as cutting at all. Dunno.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

2/25/08 8:24 PM

I'm not an expert, but to me it seems similar to scratching psoraisis.
It sounds like you are doing it to relieve the area, not to inflict pain or damage. And it is occasionally. Perhaps overdoing can be harmful, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
I found a link that gives some advice, but again I imagine that you don't need the advice, and that what you are doing is pretty harmless.

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10266

Again I'm not an expert, and you may want to post the question for Dr. Price, or you may want to ask your own doctor.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/25/08 10:40 PM

Originally posted by: munkster
(Sorry to gross everyone out.)

haha. this is a self injury forum after all...

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

2/25/08 11:58 PM

Originally posted by: gad
I'm not an expert, but to me it seems similar to scratching psoraisis.
It sounds like you are doing it to relieve the area, not to inflict pain or damage.

This brings up an interesting question.....when I cut or otherwise SI, I'm NOT doing it to "inflict pain".....it actually, in that moment, feels like it is relieving something....I often describe the urge (to therapist, docs, etc) as almost like an "itch"......there are certain parts of my body that I "need" to SI on, and even doing it on a different part will not "satisfy" that urge....does this resonate with anyone else??? ALSO, I NEVER feel the pain of what I've done until hours (or days) AFTER I've done it.....sound familiar to anyone else??

What do ppl who struggle with SI think? Is it about the actual pain for you? Or something else? I've worked hard to try to figure it out for myself, still having a hard time with it....but seems, for me, to have more to do with separation from and hatered-of my physical body....

just wondering....

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

mouse
Senior Supporter

2/26/08 3:50 AM

For me it's a mix of the actual pain, seeing blood, and the need to take it out on a specific part of the body in a specific way. (Scratching instead of cutting, for example, will often not be what satisfies the urges. Likewise the other way around.) With the head-picking thing, at times I am also not satisfies until I either suspect or feel blood. I guess it is easiest for me to go with Gad so that I don't need to stop that behavior too. Anyways...gotta go. "Talking" too much.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/26/08 5:45 PM

don't do it for the pain usualy, though i do feel the pain, do it cuz i feel the need to punish myself. i'm angry and for some reason the cutting makes me feel better. but i think its more cuz of the scars than the pain. because hitting myself and other forms of "pain" don't help unless it leaves a mark or scar. i think by scarring my body and making myself less perfect (and i guess less "beautiful") i'm punishing myself in the best way possible.

the "itch" thing i can understand! sometimes, even when i DONT feel the need to punish myself, just out of NOWHERE a lil voice comes into my head telling me that i need to cut my wrists. its almost always my wrists. they just feel like they NEED to be cut. i dont understand it either! sooooo strange.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/26/08 5:46 PM

p.s. someone should start a group "head pickers anonymous", seems like there's enough of us out there

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

2/28/08 8:14 AM

only prob with head picking and kids is if someone finds out about it, it sounds pretty socially unacceptable. would brushing with a stiff brush help? ever tried weaning yourself off it like nail biters do?

frumsw

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Self Injury < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.