Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: hair pulling
Created On 5/21/09 11:38 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

seekinganswers
Junior Supporter

5/21/09 11:38 PM

hi everyone.
I've been pulling out my hair for the last fifteen years. BAD. I hate myself for doing it. It's like an urge I can't control.
My T. brushed it off like no big deal and i feel like it is a big deal. It took me years to tell her. Now I'm with a new therapist and I can't even
bring myself to tell him-I'm too embarrassed. Thanks for listening.

Seeking answers

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

5/22/09 3:19 AM

Why not get a second opinion? You can tell him that the first therapist thought it was nothing, but it bothers you. Maybe he'll have good advice for you.

And as for the embarrassment, I don't think there is anything to be embarrassed about. You didn't do anything wrong. If anything it sounds like a nervous thing, and maybe he'll be able to help.

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

5/22/09 8:57 AM

is it trich? (i forget the full name of it sorry). it's a compulsion to pull out hair. it's real though. maybe your old therapist wasn't really aware of it?
if you could try to tell your new therapist that would prob be best. also it'd prob be helpful to explain to him how your old therapist didn't take it very seriously and let him know that it's really affecting you and how powerful it is over your self-esteem.
this sounds like something you really need to get help with.

please please please realize that it's nothing to be embarrassed about! you aren't the only one out there doing it! i did a report for school on OCD and "trich" is a real thing!
As a self-injurer I know how difficult it is to bring these things up in therapy though... if you need any moral support I'm here!

Bottom

Aba
Senior Supporter

5/22/09 9:42 AM
User is offline View users profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

http://ontrich.com/

You can count on my support too.
Kol Tuv,
Aba

-------------------------
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." - Coach John Wooden

Bottom

seekinganswers
Junior Supporter

5/23/09 11:43 PM

Thanks to all of you for your support.
There has been and is so much emotional stress and struggle in my life just to get through everyday that i know that this is a result of constant underlying anxiety. I hope that I will have the courage to work this out eventually too. I sort of feel like addressing the underlying issues has to come first, no?! But there are are so many issues and i am in pain all the time and I'm so tired....
This is just a hard time right now. i have to believe it will get better. After all my kids (i have 4) need me and i need myself most of all!
G'nite.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

5/24/09 12:38 AM

I think that sometimes symptoms can add to the anxiety, and resolving the symptoms may help with the overall picture.

It's probably helpful to talk to the therapist about all the issues, just to get it off your chest, and also to let him know what's on your mind.
And then you can try to deal with each issue, slowly, one at a time.

And although it may take time, still as issues hopefully get resolved, the load will progressively feel lighter.

Hope to hear good news.

Bottom

gettingstronger
Junior Supporter

5/27/09 10:04 PM

Hello.
I just want to tell you what has worked for me. I carry around with me a keychain that I bought for 99 cents that looks like some kind of head with a few hundred stretchable strings. Whenever I feel like pulling out hair, I go and pull one of the strings until in yanks out. It is kind of a similar sensation of the pulling, but not the pain. I pull one strand out and then break it apart into tiny pieces. Many times I can go through more than 10 strands in one sitting, but it helps me get through the urge. When I finish the "toy" that I have now, I plan on buying another one, but it looks like it may be awhile... B"H I need to use it less often than when I bought it... I hope this helps!

-------------------------
"Good therapy, like good cooking, takes time."

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

6/5/09 1:10 AM

i suffer from this disorder too.
I can spend as many as two hours in the bathroom doing it. When my kids have banged on the door once too many, i force myself to stop even tho i cud prob go on for another 2 hours.
Even though i get such relief from engaging in this behavior, afterwards i feel so bad about myself.
So angry with myself, for wasting so much time, for allowing my kids to wait while im in the bathroom getting my "fix". Angry that i need pain to calm myself.

I have been in therapy for 9years, and i have not old my therapist. I am currently in a DBT program, where the focus of the treatment is to lessen self injurous behaviors, (which btw includes hair pulling), and i have NOT yet had had the courage to own up to these horrible urges of mine.

I understand your difficulty in exposing this to your new therapist.
I guess the fact that u r aware that it is quite self destructive is a good begining to recovery.

good luck!
Let us know if u were able to tell your T.

Bottom

seekinganswers
Junior Supporter

1/10/11 12:53 PM

i posted this a long time ago.
i just read your response.
it makes me feel a little less crazy to hear that you struggle with this, too.
i have told my therapist, but i still use it as a maladaptive coping tool. i don't know that i will ever be able to stop.
have you been able to own up to it at dbt?
take care of yourself,
seekinganswers

Bottom

Debbi
Senior Supporter

1/10/11 2:40 PM

Yes we did talk about it.
I do it much less now, i'm not sure why tho.
I cut instead maybe.

Bottom

seekinganswers
Junior Supporter

1/10/11 6:32 PM

i just spoke to my sister, she is in a terrible place. i'm so worried about her. she is suicidal, profoundly depressed and falling apart.
and she does not have the support she needs. HELP!!!!!

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

1/19/11 4:05 PM
User is offline View users profile

i have the same thing... sigh....

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Self Injury < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.