Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Compulsive Skin Picking
Created On 1/1/14 11:49 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

wanttowin
Junior Supporter

1/1/14 11:49 PM

hi, i tear off layers of skin from my fingers till they bleed like crazy and hurt so bad I wanna start crying. I know i'm not a self-injurer because they dont "feel" the pain of cutting, and I dont cut, I just peel off skin. And I cant stop. I've gotten real good at lying to people about why I have so many band-aids on my fingers all the time, and I dont think anyone will ever find out about it. I'm only hurting myself, no one else, right. SHould I even bother trying to stop because who else am I hurting by doing this?

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

1/2/14 5:09 AM

Hi, welcome!
I think that you should try to stop because you are worthy of a better life.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

1/5/14 8:59 AM
User is offline View users profile

Hey, welcome to FS!!
I also suffer from " impulse control disorders" they suck... you want to stop cuz it hurts you. you said yourself in ur username that you "wanttowin"
You know you dont want itto be this way cuz ur posting here. Maybe you dont want to bothere trying to stop cuz its so hard (cuz it is)... ( can I sugest you keep youre fingers moisterized, that way there is less to pick) And since when is it ok to hurt yourself (wow! Im a huge hypocrite, but it true...)
Are you in therapy? Do you talk to anyone about it?
On a selfish note, what are youre lies? I can use some new ones ...

Bottom

wanttowin
Junior Supporter

1/6/14 11:18 PM

why does it feel so good to pick my fingers?? i dont know why i cant make myself stop cuz even when im doing it it hurts really bad. and channafofanna, you asked who ever said it's ok to hurt yourself? it's ok because your not really hurting anyone else. for me, im just giving myself pain and using up bandaids, not even telling anybody else.

and i was in therapy for it but i stopped going cuz i didnt have the willpower to stop i guess, and yeah i talk to people about it sometimes but it always makes me want to do it more once i talk about it. maybe talking about it is triggering.

i really posted here cuz i was getting nervous that I was becoming obsessive over it. cuz every time I do a nasty job on my fingers, i take pictures of the blood dripping and then the mutilated fingers a day later when they are dry but there's like a hole in my finger.

right now im only typing with my ring finger on one hand because the rest hurt so bad and they are raw. will this ever stop?

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/12/14 1:47 AM

You ask some good questions, that if you are only hurting yourself, then should you even bother to stop.
And that it's ok, because you are not really hurting anyone else.

Since you are asking, I wanted to give you an answer that is not meant to judge you, but just to give you a reason why it's not ok to self harm.

Our bodies don't belong to ourselves. G-d gave us a body, and put our soul into the body, and gave us a mission, to make the world a G-dly place, which will be fully realized with moshiach.

The Torah says ushimartem meod linafshoiseichem, that we should stringently guard our health.

So the answer to your question is, it's not ok to harm oneself. Because G-d, who tells us to not harm one another, also tells us to not harm ourselves.

I hope to hear good news from you.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/12/14 3:15 AM

I just want to add that since the Torah gives a doctor permission to heal, it's understood from this that one needs to fulfill the doctor's instructions.

And as with all matters of the Torah and mitzva, one needs to be bisimcha (happy) and of good heart, with complete trust in G-d, Who watches over every individual with Hashgocho protis (Divine providence), and He is the Essence of Goodness and able to do everything.

With blessing for health and good news in all the afore-mentioned.

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

1/19/14 9:17 AM

I have the same problem, whenever I talk about it it gets worse... I can tell you that I used to pick my skin and I stopped... I still have other impulse control issues, but i did stop.... it is posible...
Did you try meds?

Bottom

wanttowin
Junior Supporter

1/22/14 8:02 PM

channa- what do you do to yourself? (if you dont mind my asking)

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

1/26/14 9:24 AM

no problem, ask awya!!
I cut, pull hair and stick needles into myslef....

Bottom

wanttowin
Junior Supporter

1/26/14 11:15 PM

please tell me you're in (or going into) the medical field....

Bottom

channafofanna
Senior Supporter

1/27/14 7:53 AM

Im pretty careful not to nick any inportant things... dont wory.. and I actualy am planning on going to the medical feild =D

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Self Injury < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.