Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Down Syndrome-introduce yourself
Created On 12/7/08 10:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

momofspecialkid
Junior Supporter

12/7/08 10:35 PM

hi- there are a few people i know that have a child with down syndrome and would love to talk with other parents about what worked for them...in terms of EI, medicaid waiver, medical issues,advice.... so i am starting a new thread on the topic. please write a little about your child-age, gender... and any questions!! plase check this often and add to it- the more people will add and ask the more people will write -ok??

Bottom

momofspecialkid
Junior Supporter

12/7/08 10:39 PM

lets start- i have a 2 year old son with DS. he receives EI through challenge agency. i am currently looking at schools to send him to for next year. i looked at machzik bracha-any one been there recently?(i heard it changed recently...

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

12/9/08 1:03 PM

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread. We need more activity here in the DS category.

My son is 5 now. He went to Machzik Bracha. He now goes to Banim Lamakom, they opened a new class for five-year-olds. We are so happy there.

Gamzu

-------------------------
The sun is always shining! There are just times we don't see it.

Bottom

momofspecialkid
Junior Supporter

12/15/08 10:31 PM

hi! thanks for replying.... my son cureently attends the step by step program. i actually looked at hasc and machzik brocha...contemplating the two!

Bottom

momofspecialkid
Junior Supporter

12/16/08 12:47 PM

what aspects did you like about Machzik Brocha?
oh... so your son is in the new class. wow! how many children are there?is it only for DS kids? how is it going? i heard they might open it....

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

12/16/08 2:35 PM

There are 3 kids in the class plus one kid from the older class who joins some times because he is not up to par with his age group. They are currently learning Aleph Bais and the ABC plus a lot of social skills.

Bottom

momofspecialkid
Junior Supporter

12/25/08 9:12 PM

how is the class different than a Bi Y program? is it goverment funded?

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

12/29/08 7:23 PM

The Bi-Y program is not allowed to teach any religious studies because of church & state issues. In this class they focus a lot on parsha and other religious topics. This is besides for the enormous difference in environments. Yeshiva Banim Lamakom is in Yeshiva Torah VaDaas and Bi-Y is in public school.

As far as government funding is concerned, they do usually get back a nice chunk of the tuition from the government.

Bottom

flatbushmom
Junior Supporter

12/30/08 8:33 PM

hi, my daughter is two and a half. she now goes to an ei program 4 days a week. we also must look into schools for next year i heard my choices are machzik brocha or hasc. any advice from the two of you or anyone else reading this?

Bottom

bmr
Supporter

1/6/09 12:15 PM

My son is 19 so my positive experiences at Machzik might not be so relevant!! However from a family member teaching in Bi-Y, overall kids from MB come in most well prepared, Hasc ok too but the kids from Hasc are generally a bit lower level. As in my time, I believe MB remains the more professional of the 2 and tho many teachers are young, they are creative and energetic and there is great supervision of director. Hasc tends to have old teachers (who might be a bit more burnt out and less energetic?) Also, double check that Hasc is bilingual, as of a couple of years ago they weren't as far as i know and that could create issues for the future. MB certainly is bilingual. Hatzlacha raba...

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

1/8/09 10:14 PM
User is offline View users profile

Hello.
My son with DS is 19 years old. He attends Yeshiva Bonim Lamokom, as does Gamzu's son.
My son attended Machzik Bracha years back and it was terrific then. I can't vouch for any of the pre-school programs now; I don't know enough about them.

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

1/8/09 10:17 PM
User is offline View users profile

Gamzu, may I add to your post re: government funding and tuition?
By filing for Carter Funding it is the parents and not the school that gets the reimbursement, if approved.

Bottom

momofspecialkid
Junior Supporter

1/12/09 10:26 PM

HI thanks for replying. actualy, hasc has all young teachers (although not as young as MB] i was very impressed from hasc's warmness and friendliness- you were actually able to go in the clasroom. you saw that they were open and inviting which i personally think is important in an early childhood center, MB did not let you in the class so i did not get a feel for the school really only what i hear from many years ago...hasc used to be known as lower functioning children but i think it is not so nowadays. i think it is due to many reasons for one- they do have a 6 and 8 class which MB doesn;t so automatically those who are bilingual ( which hasc is- it is bilingual yiddish,russian...) and lower functioning will only go to HASC! HOWEVER, i know it was mentioned by BMR that those who go to MB are better prepared- does that hold true now? many of MB's veteran teachers and therapist left in the past year or two. there was a turnaround of teachers. i was very surprised at the young teacxhers....and not so warm feeling...

Bottom

bmr
Supporter

2/11/09 2:38 PM

sorry, didn't see your post til now...I don't know about the teachers/students and what changes there have been in these last couple of years...I was just sharing what i"ve heard from a bi-y teacher's perspective, but of course that is limited by the kids she knows and not all MB-HASC kids...If all things are equal, I'd say go with your gut feeling. Hatzlacha raba...

Edited: 2/11/09 at 2:40 PM by bmr

Bottom

momofspecialkid
Junior Supporter

2/16/09 9:17 PM

thanks for ur reply.... its a tough decision to make...

Bottom

DS MOM
Junior Supporter

12/22/10 10:09 PM

I would love to talk to someone. I just had a little girl with ds three months ago. Anybody out there?

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

12/23/10 1:10 PM

DS Mom,

Mazel tov! and welcome to FrumSupport.

I remember 7 years ago when my son was born, I had many questions and worries on my mind.

Please feel free to ask and share, we are all here for you.

Gamzuletovah

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Down Syndrome < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.