Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: beyond EI services
Created On 5/17/05 11:02 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

CK
Junior Supporter

5/17/05 11:02 PM

I would love to know what services or funding streams there may be in NYC for activities that do not fall under the EI banner. for example, music therapy or aqua therapy, hippotherapy...
My 20 month old daughter receives PT, OT, ST and SI and a nutritionist through EI.

also, MR medicaid waiver. My case worker does not know what that is. Is that applicable to a young child?

One last question, any suggestions for a lawyer in the nyc area that specializes in special needs trusts?

thank you,

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

5/18/05 10:59 AM

CK,

I'm not sure of the exact age of when medicaid waiver becomes available but we had an interview yesterday for receiving medicaid waiver and my son is also 20 months old. I think our case worker applied for it when he was about a month old and it took until now to get approved. I don't know if this is because he was not eligible up until this age or it just takes very long to get an open slot. You might want to call the organization called Tafkid at 718-252-2236 they might be able to give you more info.

Also I would like to inform everyone that I just received a "NYC Disability Parking Permit" for my son with DS. It is definetly worth the while getting as the parking situations are crazy in NYC. You can call 718-433-3100 and ask for an application for a parking permit. The child needs to be at least one year old to be eligible and you will have to take him down to Belvue Hospital (or one of the other participating facilities -- although Belvue is the quickest) for a checkup at the appropriate time.

I hope this helps

-------------------------
The sun is always shining! There are just times we don't see it.

Bottom

CK
Junior Supporter

5/18/05 3:01 PM

Thanx, Gamzulitova, (tova for short, lol!).
I will certainly call them. Isn't it surprising that YAI didn't know what I am talking about. It's great that you got him on so young, what does that entitle you to?
I got a real kick out of your parking spot idea. I'm a little surprised, are our kids considered "handicapped"?
One more quest. for now, I'm still nursing, but I'm curious what others are giving their kids to drink once they've been weaned?

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

5/18/05 3:56 PM

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure yet of what this entitles him to, I think it is mainly respite help. My wife did not nurse my son and he still takes some formulla twice a day otherwise he eats and drinks mainly everything B"H.

I guess they are considered handicapped because of their limited mental capacity and cannot travel alone.

The sun is always shining! There are just times we don't see it.

Bottom

huvi'smom
Junior Supporter

3/17/06 3:35 PM

We got a handicapped permit for our daughter so that we wouldn't have to search for parking and pay meters during al of our doctor's visits. It's been a real lifesaver!

Bottom

hashemknows
Junior Supporter

5/7/07 12:07 PM

i wanted to more about this permit, i applied but was denied.

orahc

Bottom

hashemknows
Junior Supporter

1/23/08 9:30 PM

i was denied a few times the permit saying that we only give for real disabilities that they can not walk even when they are older ( my son is under 3) however we tried again and the chief man in charge of issuing the permits was very nice he said that really there is a leeway in giving th epermit it is up to the doctor signing off to be nice. so thanks you "gamzuletovah" we are really using it well!

orahc

Bottom

hashemknows
Junior Supporter

1/23/08 9:33 PM

for the person who asked about therapy; you can get music therapy and hippo therapt under medicaid waiver i know of people who are doing it now. they also can get computer therapy (helps in increasing communication and speech... you have to just be very sure with the agency

orahc

Bottom

agfzp
Junior Supporter

2/11/08 8:41 PM

anyone out there with Down Syndrome (trisomy 21) and Leukemia?

Bottom

hashemknows
Junior Supporter

2/18/08 10:04 PM

sorry i don't.

orahc

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Down Syndrome < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.