Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: looking for younger person who has had heart valve surgery
Created On 11/18/05 11:34 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

rstern
Junior Supporter

11/18/05 11:34 AM

My 14 year old daughter had rheumatic fever at age 10 which damaged her mitral valve. At some point, hopefully in the far future, she will need sugery to replace the valve. I am wondering if there is someone she could talk to that would let her know what to expect and make the experience less scary. Thank you.

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

11/21/05 10:22 PM
User is offline View users profile

I feel like kicking myself! Just several weeks ago, while at Columbia Babies Hospital for an appt. with our toddler, we met a chassidishe bochur/family from upstate NY, who just had his second or third valve replacement surgery, due to rheumatic fever, brought on by an overlooked strep throat. The bochur'l seemed to be recuperating well B'H. Sorry, I don't have more information than that! Hatzlacha and a refuah shleimah!

Bottom

bmr
Supporter

11/22/05 9:31 PM

Our almost 16 year old son, too, faces a mitral valve replacement somewhere, hopefully, far in the future. It's Boruch Hash-m about 14 years already of saying "far in the future." His issue was a congenital heart defect secondary to Down syndrome. He had his defect repaired at 5 months, but was left with a mitral regurgitation which for the last 14 years has been labeled 'moderate to severe.' He's on plenty of meds - dig, lasix, spironolactone, enalapril - and we go for a checkup every 6 months - echo and all. Our wonderful doctor - Rubin Cooper currently chief at Cornell (assistant at Columbia Babies) here in NY - is always very reassuring. He feels we'll see signs (changed energy level, shortness of breath, etc) that perhaps it's time to consider the valve replacement well before it is seen at a checkup... He has remained very small in stature which has maybe been a hidden bracha because his heart too hasn't grown so his mitral regurgitation hasn't worsened.
I certainly know of people well into adulthood who've done beautifully after a valve replacement (and would certainly be available to talk), and kids should have an even easier time...
Is your daughter's activity level restricted? Dr. Cooper has repeatedly told us that our son won't run the marathon (sometimes I'm not so sure!), but that's about it for limitations! Are you in the NY area? Are you pleased with your cardiologist?
Chazak ve'ematz and refuos to all...

Bottom

mp
Junior Supporter

12/30/05 5:30 AM

My wife also suffered Rhuematic fever as a child. We now B"H have 3 children and my wife had both the mitral and aortic valves replaced 5 years ago, in Manchester UK (where we live). I am sure she will be happy to speak to you / your daughter if you provide contact details.

Bottom

bikurcholim
Junior Supporter

2/22/06 3:01 PM
User is offline View users profile

When I was 8 I had my first episode of Rheumatic Fever with a pre-systolic murmur and I took Pen VK for a while and STOPED, when I was 10 I had a relapse I was hospitalized for 10 days and then when on with the Bicilin shots for AT LEAST 25 YEARS AND BARUCH H' I am off the bicilin and have no sign or symptoms of anything

please share your positive experiences as well
Text

-------------------------
for Information on Biukr Cholim services available goto http://newhouserealty.com/bikurcholimaroundtheworld/

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Rheumatic Fever < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.