Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Accutane
Created On 1/19/06 2:06 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

schofles
Junior Supporter

1/19/06 2:06 PM

I am looking to get more information on accutane, from people who have used it. Main concern is psychiatric effects. Any information, positive or negative would be welcome. Expert advise especially welcome from either dermatologists or psychiatrists. Thanks.

-------------------------
Concerned parent

Edited: 1/19/06 at 2:07 PM by schofles

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

1/21/06 7:04 PM

re psychiatric effects: it is associated with increased risk of depression and suicidal behavior. (i didn't have this side effect when on it, but it was in the news b/c of this). however, other common side effects are permanent dry eyes, dry skin etc
FYI- if you're taking it for acne, and you have 'adult acne' AKA cystic acne, then a number of other things may work better for you.

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

1/29/06 1:53 AM

just a thought:

i just reread this thread and it made me think...nowadays, to be on accutane, the patient has to also be on bcp (b/c of risks if pg while on it. note that some frum drs arne't strict in this respect with their frum patients, but otherwise this is common practice.)
and we know that bcp can definitely have mood effects on patients. so maybe the pill causes and/or exacerbates these symptoms???? (I haven' read the studies, but if you do read through them, perhaps keep this in mind and check if the patients were also on the pill at the time they were taking accutane.)
and,since some pills are not associated with these side effects, then perhaps choosing an appropriate pill can counter the potential effects???

fyi, there is also new laser-type treatment being used for acne.

however, again, i would keep in mind that cystic acne responds altogether differently to treatments in genreal.

Bottom

newmom
Junior Supporter

4/7/06 10:50 AM

i was on accutane, it was great. cleared my skin in less than 6 months. It should only be used if you have really intense acne, it's not for a pimple or two. You'll need to get a blood test, not only to check if you are pregnate, but to check you liver status as well. There are other side affects but they are nothing in compared to being uncomfortable in your skin because of acne. I feel that you are more depressed with acne than by taking accutane. Once you are done, you'll feel beautiful, trust me.

Bottom

fell.and.fallen
Junior Supporter

5/2/06 2:05 AM

Yes. Accutane worked for the most part. Thanfully dr. understood I wouldn't need BCP . Though the monthly blood-tests were a shlep. I just remember being intensely dried out. Painfully so. Any bit of skin that is 'thinner' on your body (i.e. lips etc.) bore the awesome brunt of it.
My friends swear by it.

It does have a 'black-box' warning. Thankfully nothing happened to myself nor my friends when they were on the regiman.
Agreed, a few months of discomfort is totally worth the feeling of walking down the street, head held hi, with your chin up- ready to face the world.

“Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain.”

Bottom

marry
Junior Supporter

5/2/06 11:15 PM

Do you maybe know of any other adult acne problem that can be treated with something either natural or a little milder?

Bottom

MosheDovid
Junior Supporter

5/17/06 6:52 PM

I would very strongly advise against it. Think about it - each drug has known as well as UNKNOWN side effects, as well as side effects that people who are making big $ on the drug don't speak about... So if a drug is already known to cause severe depression (even if only in some people), you should be very cautious about it.
There are ways to deal with acne (even cystic) without drugs - trust me, I did it. The most important thing is to stop eating junk food, especially sugar. I'd suggest try to educate yourself about nutrition - what's healthy and what's not. Acne is a sign of an internal weakness - you have to deal with the root of the problem by making your whole organism stronger - and nutrition is a major part of it. I'd also recommend reading the Rambam's 4th perek of Hilchos Deos where he speaks about health, as well as 32nd perek of Kitzur Shulchan Aruch (there're many things there that may not apply today - don't take all of it literally, but the general principles still apply - all natural therapists today say the same thing that the Rambam said years ago). If you have more questions, you can contact me at faynbergd@yahoo.com - I'd be happy to offer advice and share my experience.
B'birkas R'fua Shleima.

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

5/17/06 8:40 PM

adult acne is aka rosacea.
avoiding triggers is the best treatment for it, as well as using some topical creams [prescribed by a dermatologist] for roscea specifically (not the same meds as for 'regular' acne.)
since rosacea is associated with blood vessel dilation, basically anything that can cause blood vessel dilation can trigger a reaction. so things like heat, wind, etc can cause a reaction. as well as many foods-so it's similar to the migraine diet. potential triggers include MSG, sulfites, nitrites, nitrates, hard cheeses, yogurt, canned fish (as they put histamine in in the canning), veggies that are nightshades (such as peppers, eggplant), chocolate....
you see what you have a reaction to and leave it out. you should see TREMENDOUS improvement. though if there is an underlying hormonal problem (associated with too much testosterone) then this will probably still be an issue.
there's alot of great info available through the national roscea society.

Bottom

Penina2006
Junior Supporter

7/13/06 5:02 PM

I won't make a statement now, but my sister was on Accutane, & has been going through terrible fertility problems for the past five years...so...Just be extra careful, & think twice before going with it...
I have also suffered from a frightening case of acne, & nothing helped, until I finally came across this angel who comes from Russia who has an amazing way with natural products & facials...no one recognizes me! I'm clear as day!
If you want me to refer you to her, you can just reply to me & I'll be glad to share the details.

Pen

Bottom

scoutkat
Junior Supporter

11/16/06 3:55 PM

Years ago Dr. put me on long term antibiotic treatment for acne which upset my stomach very much. I gave up figuring I'd just have to cope.
But a few years ago I read several things about how good OMEGA FATTY ACIDS (3 & 6) are for health.
I started taking cod liver oil , evening primose oil and flaxseed oil supplements.

I had read that evening primrose oil could be helpful for monthly menstrual cramps and bloating.

The upside is not only do I not have the severe monthly discomfit but my skin has cleared up also.

So you might want to try omega fatty acid supplements. I'd also recommend a good multi-B vitamin, up to but not more than 50mg. Maybe zinc too if you're not getting enough from diet.

I also take a calcium and vitamin D supplement, only due to osteoporosis runs in my family.

Drink plenty and exercise too!
Good luck and good health!

Bottom

Light
Junior Supporter

1/16/07 5:08 AM

Hi,
If i could i would go out to the world and scream that no one should ever take this medication again. i took it when i had bad acne, and nothing helped and eventually the doc put me on it. this has turned my life and the life of my whole family upside down. I became depressed, i was very suicidal, i became enorexic, my skin was peeling it was so dry.(and its still dry till this day!!) I needed to be in a phisco hospital for a long time becasue of all of this. i dont think i will be able to ever forgive them for taking away that time in my life, which should have been my best. i became blind in the dark. i can go on and on if you want me to.
My parents didnt know what to do with me, and it wasnt known in those days that acutane can cause these things.
It did clear the acne. (though not everything, but most of it.) i still get those pimples here and there, but its nothing if you compare it to what i had then.
I can't really tell you not to take it, but i can tell you what i went through.
Also, later in life, when i did get pregnant for the first time, i was soooo scared that it would still have an affect on my child, but b"h everything was ok.
also, one of the reasons you have to take regular blood test is because it makes your colestrol go very high.
Just consider all of the above before you do anything.

Bottom

boby123
Junior Supporter

12/18/07 11:28 AM

Hi , i also have terrible acne
can you give me this persons details
Phone nuber ect.

Thanks

Yasher Koach!!
tizku lemitzvot

Bottom

azriel1
Junior Supporter

1/20/08 6:29 PM

I have came acrossof a product called "ZAP - IT" and have heard great stories of people using it to treat their acne. While I haven't used it myself all I can say is "I believe it will work".

Bottom

PB613
Supporter

2/22/08 3:10 PM

Does anyone know this Russian women's contact info?

Bottom

It's all good...
Supporter

9/5/08 2:00 PM

Dunno if I'm too late to sign on to this thread, but I have some stuff to say :-)

I was on Accutane THREE seperate times, all together for over a year of my life (five months, five months, six months), and I would definitely recommend taking it if your acne is very bad. I know others who also took it and were fine. I was so sad to hear what some of you had to say about horrible side effects--I hope you're doing better now...
I was a little concerned about the side effects, especially since I'm prone to sadness and a host of other psychiatric things...but b"H I did not notice any changes in my mood over the time I was on the med. (I was actually wondering why some people react differently to drugs...that's an interesting study point...)
About infirtility or birth defects, the drug leaves your system a month after you stop taking it. So I'm not sure if infirtility can be related to Accutane.

About other acne treatments, I think I've tried everything! The Accutane took three tries for it to work (My Doc said that one patient even did it 6 times! Crazy...) but now my face is loads better b"H. I'm using two different creams now, too--Retin-A and Duac--and my complexion is pretty good, though not perfect. I'm happy, though, so that's what counts :-)

Hope this info helped someone. Feel free to ask more questions :-D

Hodu laShem ki tov...

Bottom

dk370
Junior Supporter

1/16/09 11:35 PM

Hi.
Would you be able to give me the information for the russian woman who treated the acne well?
dk370@aol.com
Dina

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

6/30/09 1:47 AM

Hi. i have acne since puberty and am really considering accutane. i did facilas w afamous russian woman called edith i wonder of thats who ur talkign abt i cant say it didtn help but it didnt take it away the most it did was control it for a lot of money. i tried many over the counter stuff adn some redtna creams from dr on face...i recently strted goign to dermalogica nd spending a couple of $100 on their products- the natural stuff- w this not working im really considering accutane yet im really scared w the side effects. its funny how they sound so scary yet if look at the side effects of psychraitric drugs they sound much scarier adn noone talks abt them.... from what im readign noone reported birth defects....did i get that rifght? im really nervous abt that...even though im single...u wrote how it leaves ur body a month after u stop..is that really true? did anyone hear that it strips the outer layer of ur internal organs adn what dus that mean? i have a few realtives who took it and were very hapy no side effects yet therye still single. if anyone has any advice support- i wud really appreciate it.
thank u,
scared yet dying to take it

Bottom

Light
Junior Supporter

6/30/09 6:46 AM

I wrote this a long time ago, but since you just asked... I'm just copying it and putting it here. I hope its helpful to you, and i wish you luck with whatever you do. I do know at least one person and was not affected like i was, bu i also know many people who had trouble like me. Again, I'm not saying you shuoldnt take it, but just think about long and hard before hand. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.
Hi,
If i could i would go out to the world and scream that no one should ever take this medication again. i took it when i had bad acne, and nothing helped and eventually the doc put me on it. this has turned my life and the life of my whole family upside down. I became depressed, i was very suicidal, i became enorexic, my skin was peeling it was so dry.(and its still dry till this day!!) I needed to be in a phisco hospital for a long time becasue of all of this. i dont think i will be able to ever forgive them for taking away that time in my life, which should have been my best. i became blind in the dark. i can go on and on if you want me to.
My parents didnt know what to do with me, and it wasnt known in those days that acutane can cause these things.
It did clear the acne. (though not everything, but most of it.) i still get those pimples here and there, but its nothing if you compare it to what i had then.
I can't really tell you not to take it, but i can tell you what i went through.
Also, later in life, when i did get pregnant for the first time, i was soooo scared that it would still have an affect on my child, but b"h everything was ok.
also, one of the reasons you have to take regular blood test is because it makes your colestrol go very high.
Just consider all of the above before you do anything.

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

6/30/09 9:34 PM

can i ask u a personal question? were there other things in ur life that were depressing adn mkae u wnat to be suicidal? do u really feel it was caused by accutane? when u went off accutane ur depressiona dn suicidal thoughts went away? Why do u think it caused such a reaction in u and not in others? so far from pple i know theyre only reactions were dry lips and dry skin....i am concerned about what u said the questin for me is why you? what was goign on in ur life before accutane? and then i have to see how this would affect me? i know these questions are personal so u dont have to answer any of them im just trying to get to the bottom of this....

Bottom

Light
Junior Supporter

6/30/09 10:07 PM

its fine for you to ask. There was nothing else going on at the time in my life. I took acutane when i was 12 years old. I was a very happy carefree girl at the time. after i went off of the acutane, thing did start to settle down, although it did take some time, as i was in the situation already. but we defintly saw an immediate improvment when i stopped. I know for a fact that i'm not the only one that went thourgh these things. I know some ppple who sued accutane for all that they went thourgh. Agagin, I dont want to tell you not to take it, as i do know what its like to have really bad acutatne, and the acutane did help me get rid of the acne.... I just dont know. I have thought about it many times. Would i give it to my own daughter if she had really bad acne? probably not. I went though too much as a result of this. But again, just like you i know pople who were not affected by these things. I'm happy to answer any other questioins you have.

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

6/30/09 11:44 PM

wow! so strange why would it casue such horrible side effects in one person and such mild in another..how come others w history of mental illness had zero side effects of depression and suicide thoughts, while u had none before hand adn it affecte u so bad. im really scared adn fight w myself back and forth yes no ye no take it dont backa nd forth, liek i said ai have 3 couusins who took it and had no bad results besdies dryness and now can ennjoy beautiful skin...im so scared i dotn know what to do and noone can really tellme...i still dotn understand how it can casue depression froma happy carefree girl...how long were u on it did u expereince these negative side effects? when u went off it it right away dissapeared? how u feelign now? wud u recomend it? probably not? do u have an idea why it affected u and not others? sorry for all these questiions thanks for being there....
p.s. ddi ur acne come back or is it gone since?

Bottom

Light
Junior Supporter

7/1/09 8:50 AM

I was on acutane for six months. The side effects started probably about two weeks after i started taking it. I did have the side effects the whole time i was on it. It was pretty bad. I remember that we even considered me stop taking it, cuz it was so bad. we decided to continue because i had started already and it wasn’t worth stopping already. When I stopped taking it, it also took a few weeks. Maybe two for some of the effects to start going away. Accutane did help me. It did clear MOST of the acne. (I had it really bad) although i should tell you that now b"h I do feel fine, but its been over ten years since I took acutane. Also, something that has made it very frustrating for me, was that I felt that after all that I went thought with the acutane, I shouldn’t even have on pimple EVER! But that didn’t happen. As I said, at the time it really did take away most of the acne. But then, every time i get pregnant i brake out - and if end up having acne during the whole pregnancy. I don’t know why it affected me like this. But I do know that I'm not the only one that has been affected like this. If you research it at all you will find my people who sued acutane because of everything that they went through.
I can’t really answer you about taking it. Maybe it will be ok for you. Maybe they changed their formula today. I don’t know the answers to these questions. Sorry.

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

7/1/09 10:08 PM

thanks for being so open abt ur expereinces, i really appreciate it. im still unsure what to do if i shoud take the leap of faith etc...didiu try any other internal med first? do u know anyone who took somethng not as strong tha worked? from what i see, the otehr stuff dotn work, i tried so many things my acne is noot terrible yet its bad i cover it up very well and most ppl dont know i even have it wheni talk abt ti they think im making it up trying to get attn etc, yet if thtey would see me after a shower they wouldnt recognize me i look like a diffrent person adn i hate tha...when i get maried i dotn want to have to b embarased tha hes seeing a dif person.....thanks again! i wish they would make somethign that works w less scary side effects........

Bottom

Light
Junior Supporter

7/2/09 12:50 AM

I did try other things at the time, and as you said.... nothing helped. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do. How about trying a diferent doctor, and see if they have anything else they can suggest? Good luck!

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

7/7/09 2:05 AM

i know how depressing it can be to have loads of acne- i had that years ago and BH, BH, no longer do. just a few odds and ends in response to your Qs in this thread..
1. it is now clearly proven that it can have suicidal and depressive effects 2. i took it yrs ago and believe that some of my chronic dryness issues (such as very dry eyes so that it's hard to wear contact lenses) were caused by it since i did not have these symptoms before. 3. i did still have times i broke out afterwards. 4. if you did not try oral meds DEFINITELY give doxycycline a try. since it sounds like you have terrible acne, it probably is cystic in nature, which responds very very well to doxycycline. dietary changes can make a big difference here too (such as avoiding preservatives like msg & nitrites, avoiding hard cheeses, wines etc) but the best is doxycycline. if you want the same effects of doxy but in a more natural form or want to be able to not have to stay on the doxy for long, then you can start taking fish oils and buid up to 2000 mg daily as a minimum. i do know of ppl who have totally gotten rid of their cystic acne this way.
hatzalcha.

Bottom

ykb
Senior Supporter

7/7/09 11:50 AM
User is offline View users profile

I didn't take accutane but have heard many horror stories and wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. Good Luck!

Chanie F. my eye doctor told me to take 1000 mgs of flaxseed oil 2 times a day for dry eyes and it made a huge difference.

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

7/13/09 11:08 PM

i just thought that this timely info was interesting...

June 29, 2009 -- Nutley, N.J.

Roche Discontinues and Plans to Delist Accutane in the U.S.

Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. has notified the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of its intent to immediately discontinue the manufacture and distribution of Accutane® (isotretinoin), its ground-breaking treatment for severe recalcitrant nodular acne that has not responded to other therapies. This decision is being taken for business reasons during a reevaluation of our product portfolio of medicines that are now available from generic manufacturers, and is not being taken for reasons of safety or efficacy.

Since 2002, generic formulations of isotretinoin, the active ingredient in Accutane, entered the market. Current manufacturers/distributors are Barr Laboratories Inc., Genpharm, Inc. / Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., and Ranbaxy Laboratories Inc. As a result, Roche’s prescription market share of Accutane has steadily declined for several years and is now below 5 percent. Therefore, the generic companies can supply the market. In addition, Roche has been faced with high costs from personal-injury lawsuits that the company continues to defend vigorously.

Roche stands behind the safety of Accutane and the rigorous risk management program Roche developed over decades of cooperation with the FDA and the American Academy of Dermatology. Currently, the iPledge pregnancy risk management program is a model in the pharmaceutical industry. Roche is committed to working with the FDA and the isotretinoin generic manufacturers for the eventual transition of Roche’s business responsibilities in iPledge to the remaining sponsors.

We are proud of Accutane, a product of original Roche research that has been used in the treatment of severe recalcitrant nodular acne by more than 13 million patients since it was introduced in 1982.

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

7/21/09 9:12 PM

do u mind clarifying- what does this report mean n simpel englsih/how does this affect pple who try acutane. my doc gave me an internal pill and external lotion to try as last resort before she gives me accutane. so far it diditn work and im so fed up w all this experimnetation. my aptmnt is aug 31 and if its not gone by then, shes gona start the accutane process. i know so many pple who were happy and didtn expereince any neg results besides dryness and she said herself all her clients were happy- when asked abt depresion etc she said on the contraty they were so happy to finally get rid of it- i cant imagine the happines of not having to put on a full face of makeupa every time u leave the house and the feeling of embarrasemnt by water sports and when ur coverup is washed away and the feelign after a shower when ur arougd others- its a constant pressure and embarrasemet on my head- 3 day yom tovs and more- bh im a prety girl w pretty fretures so noone knows abt my bad acne until the situations listed above occure which is often enough -even shabbos... and then i feel so horrible like a fake- am i preetty or not.how can i b pretty only w makeup then im not realy pretty but fake pretty .....i cant wait to feel really pretty without a full face....i really hope it works for me like it did for my relatives...aslo she said if somethign worng w blood tets u stop, yet n her expereicne pple didnt have to do it.. i think i hav to have jump the leap of faith, and hope that hashem will do for me what he did for others..till now tried everytnng for 10 years..natural products, facials and more- i had enough!!
may hashem take away all acne pain adn bring moshiach real soon!!!

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

7/27/09 10:27 PM

this is basically saying that the company who made it is going to stop making it. but of course all the generics are still going to be around. what pill did your dr give you to take orally? i hope it was an extended release 100 or 200 mg of doxycycline. otherwise- ask for it!!!! also, many have hormonal issues that contribute to it; did you ever look into this? and have you done any dietary changes, like cutting out things that cause vasodilation; wine, hard cheeses, [canned] tuna, MSG, sulfites, nitrites etc. this can make a BIG, HUGE difference.

Bottom

helpplz
Supporter

7/30/09 4:51 PM

she gave me 100 mg of minocin generic: minocyline hydrochloride. it did nothing. looking in the pill book doxycyline is in the same category under tetracyline antibiotics. i wonder if they bith do the dame thing. she also gave me clindamycin phoshate topical lotion to put on face. none did anyhting. pimples still there. im really hoping accutane is going to work...
thansk for the correspondence. i really appreciate it!
hope u had an easy meanningful fast

Bottom

Supporter

9/30/09 3:27 PM

Penina,

I'd be interested in hearing about the Russian woman who does facials.

Thanks,

Raisy

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Acne < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.