Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: 6mp and pregnancy
Created On 2/2/05 12:00 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Frum Girl
Junior Supporter

2/2/05 12:00 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with getting pregnant while on 6mp (purinethol). My doctor tells me that there is nothing wrong with getting pregnant while I'm on the 6mp and that he would keep me on it throughout the pregnancy. I've been hearing very different opinions on this one. I believe it is a bigger issue if the male is on the 6mp, but I'm wondering about if the female is on the 6mp. If anyone has any information on this I'd really appreciate it.

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

2/2/05 3:48 PM

Frumgirl,

I'm not married but now on 6mp cuz as per the doctors they have new studies now that it's ok to be on 6mp and be pregnant, you may want to call another Dr. for another opinion.
good luck, feel good!

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

2/28/05 12:46 AM

check with Motherisk (in canada. one R)
i believe that they have a hotline for such Qs.

Bottom

Junior Supporter

2/28/05 4:36 PM

I am a frum girl also on 6MP. Although I am not married I asked my doctor this question recently. He seemed to imply that it varies with each case. He told me that unfortunately the studies out only involve hundreds of women rather than thousands/tens of thousands. But the studies show 6MP to be relatively safe within that sample size. My doctor told me that if someone is on 6MP and that is saving them from flareups, its more dangerous for them to be off of 6MP and to get a flareup during pregnancy than to be on 6MP during pregnancy. But if you they have had no symptoms and the 6MP is keeping them in remission, it is probably okay to be off 6MP. In addition based on your condition a scope can be done to detect if there is disease activity to help in your decision....Basically it seems like it is a case-based decision that should be looked at carefully. Depending on your case you can discuss with you doctor the implications. (I have no information with regard to males being on 6MP although I heard that it affects them as well...) good luck

Bottom

mom22
Junior Supporter

3/29/05 9:44 PM

I B"H have 2 kids the first on Prednisone and with the second I stopped taking Purinethol to become pregnant and ended up very sick with a severe flare during the ninth month and after birth. The plan is that next time to do it without stopping the Purinethol. The doctors say the most important thing before becoming pregnant is to be in remission. It is better to stay on purinethol and become pregnant then to come off it and risk a flare during pregnancy. they have told me that other people have become pregnant and had healthy babies.

Bottom

always
Junior Supporter

11/20/05 8:22 PM

I asked quite a few docters about it the consenses was that it isn't very safe . I had a miscarriage while taking it but i had differnet issues too in any case I cured my colitis by reading a book called THE MINDBODY CONNECTION by Dr.Sarno it took a few months but finally I got off it . I really suggest everyone with colitis to read it.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.