Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: 6mp side affect?
Created On 9/25/07 11:10 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

en5001
Junior Supporter

9/25/07 11:10 PM

Hi,
Does anybody know whats the long term sideaffects of 6mp? Also does anyone take 6mp for more than a year and is feeling better after a year?

Bottom

PB613
Supporter

1/31/08 4:51 AM

6MP needs to be monitored for its effect on the liver, I believe. Frequesnt blood tests need to be done to monitor it.
I've heard that a1 side effect of long term usage may be kidney stones...

it is possible and even preferable to be feeling better after being on 6MP or any medication....it is meant to heal...(of course when sent as a Refuah by Hashem...)

I hope your in contact with your dr. about this..

Edited: 1/31/08 at 4:53 AM by PB613

Bottom

Edith
Supporter

1/31/08 2:45 PM

yes, i was constantly monitored when on 6 mp and it acutally did affect my liver.

i also think it made my hair fall out.

Bottom

PB613
Supporter

1/31/08 6:42 PM

Edith, I'm glad you knew about that aspect - some people on 6MP didn't know they were supposed to be having blood tests to monitor the liver....

Has your hair grown back?
My hair got thinner from it too!!
BH, i see a difference from a year ago, it has definetely gotten better and it doesn't look as thin as it did then.....although noone else can tell, but i know how it was when my hair was nice and thick....

Edited: 2/18/08 at 4:58 AM by PB613

Bottom

RML
Junior Supporter

5/5/08 8:00 AM

6MP has side effects, but can be enormously helpful in maintaining a remission for several years at a time. The drug is easier to work these days because of two critical blood tests-- one which ascertains if the drug will damage the liver, and the other which helps the physician determine the most suitable dosage. Liver tests need to be performed somewhat regularly though.

Side effects- 6mp reduces the body's immune response, though clinical trials have failed to uncover greater prevalence of any specific disease. There are a few reports of 6MP affecting pregnancies even if a male is the one taking the drug.

It takes several months for 6MP to kick in, and it's a 'remission' therapy, meaning that the intention should be to maintain an already existing remission. If you are experiencing a flareup now, and you've just started 6MP, your doctor will probably have prescribed steroids or some other means to actually bring the disease into remission.

Refuah Shleima.

RML

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.