Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Article on kids coping with Crohn's Disease
Created On 3/19/09 8:22 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

tovamos
Junior Supporter

3/19/09 8:22 AM
User is offline View users profile

Hi,
I'm a writer for a major Jewish newspaper, and I am currently working on an article discussing ways of helping kids cope with Crohn's Disease, which no doubt separates them from many of their peers because of dietary restrictions and missing school, etc.
Can anyone share some tips or information on how they've helped kids cope with the disease, or remember coping themselves? I will not use names, and you can give me any alias you so choose. Please help: this information could help others out there searching for answers.
Thanks so much!

-------------------------
Tova Ross

Bottom

rh1211
Junior Supporter

3/22/09 3:58 PM

Hiding Crohn's is hard, and even though many people seek to do that for shidduchim purposes, I would suggest that talking about one's pain is very helpful. Picking one or two friends and/or mentors with whom one can discuss their situation would do the trick, if one would really rather keep their Crohn's a secret.

The thing that helped me the most was keeping my life as normal as possible. I would go to school and work as much as I could, and attended social events (chagigas, weddings, etc.) as often as possible, instead of just skipping them just because I was a little under the weather. That way, I didn't feel like Crohn's was overtaking my life, and I had things to distract me from my pain.

Hope this helps!

Bottom

tomidbsimcha
Supporter

3/23/09 2:18 PM

I was a teen with colitis. 1 point that was very helpfull was when the dr. asked me in front of my father what kind of symptoms i was going through- the ones i was ashamed to tell my parents i felt like a big rock was lifted of my chest just by parents knowing what i was going through. so my suggetion to parents would be to do research and realy findout what your kid is going through.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.