Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Weight Regain for Crohns
Created On 3/1/06 1:22 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Wife of Crohns sufferer
Junior Supporter

3/1/06 1:22 PM

My husband was recently diagnosed with Crohns. At first he lost abt 18 lbs (he was thin to begin with)...he's been on meds and sort of has it under control but only gained back 8 lbs. Does anyone out there have any suggestions/experience for gaining weight while having crohns?

Bottom

cd
Supporter

3/2/06 1:33 PM

We are losing/not gaining weight because the stomach gets rid of our food too quickly not giving it enough chance to digest properly. And i think the reason for that is that it cant handle digesting some foods so it pushes it out of our systems. Besides for some basic foods that a body might not like/be allergic to we should also consider some general digestive no no's...

1)Dairy foods are known to pass through the system quickly and often push out other foods with it. So some might want to exlude dairy altogether but i suggest to eat a dairy meal in the mornings and not mix it with other foods.

2)When you mix carbohydrates and proteins together you stomach needs to work twice as hard (something about different type of acids needed for each food group and so then they cancel each other out and dont digest the food properly). So the bottom line is try not mixing heavy carbohydrates (bread, pasta...etc.) with proteins (meat, fish, cheese).

3)Instead of 3 heavy meals per day try to break it into 5-7 small meals/snacks per day. Dont eat until your pants pop out stop in the middle of the meal when your hunger subsides and finish it a little later. This again is to help your stomach... giving it smaller loads in hopes that it would be able to handle it better than 1 big load.

I knew these concepts for a while but only started applying them for myself today and already feel better.

So if anyone else decides to seriously test it out let us know the results.

Bottom

Ray
Supporter

3/2/06 2:13 PM

cd,

your tips seem helpful. once your body starts digesting and absorbing food properly you should go back to your regular body weight.

check out digestivewellness.com
it's a great website, it's kosher and it is EXTEMELY helpful.

feel good.

Bottom

cd123
Supporter

3/8/06 9:20 PM

I'm 18...While sick with Crohn's, I was put onto NG tube feedings of Boost to supplement my nutrition.
To get more calories and nutrition, try drinking Boost or other supplements. The taste is bearable and very light. Some flare up days, I avoid regular food and drink this. Best of Luck!

Bottom

shalman
Junior Supporter

4/18/06 3:45 AM

i tried drinking ensure but that didnt work for me so my doc put me on a 3000 calorie diet w/ steriods and that worked wonders

Bottom

cd123
Supporter

4/18/06 3:30 PM

I was at my GI yesterday and he's very concerned about my wieght loss. I lost 7 pounds in less than 2 weeks! I didn't find this to be a problem until quite recently, where Ikeep losing.
To help me maintain, I have Boost supplements(NG feeds) and a caloriesupplement powder to sprinkle on my food.
I have no appetite, constantly feeling full so this will be really hard to do...and I'm not forcefull enough for the reason that I'm a young girl who doesn't mind losing weight!
Hopefully, I'll find a way to maintain my weight...any more suggestions would be helpful.Thank you!

Bottom

shalman
Junior Supporter

4/23/06 4:13 AM

the weight incentive has to be done by u my biggest incentive was i was malnurished and weak. i also went to a dietican who advised me what foods were high in calories and what to eat 4 more info u could email me at shalman14@hotmail.com

Bottom

cd123
Supporter

4/23/06 4:54 PM

Thank you.
I actually spent the second half of Pesach back in the hospital.
I was dehydrated and admitted for malnutrition...which I am now supplementing a lot to help this.
B"h this is already better. My GI and nutritionist are both helping me maintain.

Edited: 4/23/06 at 4:57 PM by cd123

Bottom

shalman
Junior Supporter

4/24/06 2:08 AM

sry to hear that but keep up ur weight

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.