Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: endoscopy/colonoscopy
Created On 7/3/06 3:52 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

yaldatova613
Supporter

7/3/06 3:52 AM

hi all you experienced people out there,
I am schedualed for my first outpatient colonoscopy, since being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease two years ago, this week. Every other time it was done I was so sick and hospitalized that I didn't even have time to think/worry about it. I know it sounds silly, but can anyone tell me what to expect? Is it painful? Will I feel sick afterwards? What about the prep?
I've had two outpatient endoscopys but never an outpatient colonoscopy. Are they majorly different or can I expect pretty much the same process as with the endoscopys?

thanks for any and all info

Bottom

Edith
Supporter

7/5/06 1:11 PM

The colonoscopy itself isn't so bad. The worst part for me was the prep. There are 2 ways to do it - you can either drink this sickly sweet stuff called Fleet. Or you can take pills - both of these will clean out your system.
Also, after the procedure you will feel very bloated.

Bottom

yaldatova613
Supporter

7/11/06 12:45 PM

thanks for your info
i had my endo/colonoscopy and actually survived (didn't think i would at first) although that fleet stuff was ABSOLUTELY SICK!!
for future reference, what is the name of the pill you mentioned to use instead of the fleet liquid and where can i get it (didn't see it in the pharmacy when i got the fleet stuff) and does it work as well - will my doctor approve of it?

Bottom

Edith
Supporter

7/12/06 11:49 AM

i forgot what the pill is called, but you can't buy it over the counter - you need a perscription. (also, it is much more expensive than the fleet - depending on your co-pay). It works just as well as the fleet.

Bottom

shalman
Junior Supporter

7/12/06 7:33 PM

actually when i had my colonoscapy and endoscopy 2 days b4 the nurse took me into the operating room and showed me the exact procedure with live demonstrations i was so sick

Bottom

Marcus
Junior Supporter

12/5/06 5:49 PM

It is strange how experience changes your perspective. I read the thread belows and found the comments interesting some of which I related to and some of which seemed distant. I have Crohn's and have had about 4 colonoscopies. Each one gets easier and now I am immune to the procedure and the anxiety.

Any first time medical experience can make you nervous so your initial anxiety is quite normal. Try not to worry. It is not that bad.

The preparation is what bothers most patients because you have to drink a fluid that causes you to spend a great deal of time in the bathroom. I do not find the taste offensive and now it comes in flavors and it does not seem to offend my taste buds. There is a pill which eliminates having to keep drinking a container of fluid. My doctor who I trust implicitly has not yet jumped on the pill bandwagon. He just thinks more testing needs to be done and he is never quick to embrace a "new" product if the old one accomplishes the goal and the side effects, if any, are developed.

The actual procedure is not an issue because you are on pain killers and a bit loopy. I typically start the procedure talking and seconds into procedure I tell my doctor I am going to rest my eyes now so do not be offended. Then I am out like a light. I never feel a thing. I wake up some time later in recovery sitting up with my wife standing over me asking me if I am OK. This time she was actually sitting next to me (and fell asleep herself). It is always a strange feeling coming too. You DEFINITELY need someone to take you home.

It takes a day or two until your stomach starts to feel normal again, but there is absolutely no pain (at least in my situation). You just feel a little different.

The best part of the procedure is that it cleans you out and you feel like you get a new chance to put only good foods into your body. If you treat your body well it may return the favor. Each colonoscopy gives you a new opportunity to start anew. So start that new diet. Eat healthy. Exercise. Do not worry. You will be fine.

-------------------------
Marcus

Bottom

PB613
Supporter

3/7/08 3:14 AM

Had 3 Colonoscopies and countless flexible sigmoidoscopies. When first diagnosed, was very sick and it was one of the most painful things i've ever experienced. i guess bec. it was so sensitive and in really bad shape. The meds meant to soothe/relax barely had an effect. I was slightly woozy and tired but felt everything and was fully coherent. The 2nd time around, told the dr. i refused to take it unless he gave me something where i wouldn't feel anything. It worked a bit better. a shot of Valium in the arm, i think. I tried utilizing the time after the procedure to maximize the calming effects of the "anesthesia" drug and really tried relaxing, that was quite nice.
Thank G-d I didnt have to do what you describe and drink gallons of that liquid. But it was mighty hard to only drink clear liquids for 24 hours before + 1 Fleet. Now, it barley makes me flinch, no more anxiousness or apprehension. looking forward to the anesthesia is nice too.
it really means that BH its getting better and going thru the procedure means i'll find out how much better, so thats a good thing to look forward to.

Edited: 3/9/08 at 1:43 AM by PB613

Bottom

seb613
Supporter

4/2/08 1:55 PM

I've had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and I would the prep for the colonoscopy is much worse then the procedure itself.

Bottom

PB613
Supporter

5/12/08 2:24 AM

ditto, seb613

Edited: 5/12/08 at 2:24 AM by PB613

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.