Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Overeating
Created On 1/23/05 3:19 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Mevakeish
Junior Supporter

1/23/05 3:19 PM

Did anyone have experience with eating even when you are full?How can we overcome taavas achile?

Bottom

Mr.Yeshivish
Junior Supporter

2/7/05 1:26 AM

I definitly eat too much, i eat chulent every day. i'm that guy who always finishes everyones leftovers. its like everyone wants me too, every shabbos the baal habos is always like " chaim yankel, theres still chulent left in the crock pot." (dont worry thats not my real name) ive been thinkin about joinin the kosher gym but its too long a walk down coney island, plus its too big a nisayon to even see sweet choice, they have those delicious cooladas in like a million flavors.
any other yeshiva guys out there feel the same?

Edited: 2/7/05 at 9:46 AM by FrumSupport Moderator

Bottom

masger
Junior Supporter

2/28/05 4:46 PM

I realize that you are addressing the complex topic of eating disorders, something that applies to some people and not others. But I have a comment that is suitable for anybody - whether they have an eating disorder or not.

You mentioned being asked / expected to "finish off the chulent". There is a prohibition of "bal tashchis" which means that we cannot discard food. However, a person's body is kadosh - it is wrong to make one's own body into a garbage can. As part of "vi'nishmartem mi'od..." we have an obligation to keep the bodies that Hashem gave us healthy.

If you feel the desire to "finish off the chulent" when you know you've already eaten plenty, there may be a medical problem. But especially for the times that you DON'T feel like eating more but someone is asking you to finish the food as a favor in order to avoid discarding it, it is much better to say "the food was great but now I'm full".

Bottom

shlomo
Junior Supporter

4/7/05 1:41 PM
User is offline View users profile

I work with a child with down syndrome
who is 13, and like most people he does'nt
know when to stop eating.
I try to talk to him and explain about bad
eating habits and also getting fat, but it
does not seem to help.
If any one has any idea's on how to help
please reply thank you.

Bottom

specialmom
Junior Supporter

4/8/05 1:06 PM

If you are a compulsive eater, you cannot intellectualize it away. You need a program of action. Compulsive eating can destroy lives, health, and relationships. I highly recommend checking out the Overeaters Anonymous website www.oa.org or OA groups near you. Compulsive eating is a disease of the spirit and mind as well as the body. Before I learned to eat abstinently and live a healthy life, I would eat even if I was full to the point of pain, even if I didn't even notice what I was eating or how it tasted, just so long as I could eat it. Now I eat to appreciate the wonderful foods Hash-m has given me and daven to learn what Hash-m wants me to do to fulfill a healthy, happy, useful life.

-------------------------
mom to 5 bli ayin hara, with issues including eos enteropathy, bipolar, ACC/SID, LD, dev delay, gtube, etc

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/11/05 1:44 AM

In my experience, overeating often becomes a problem in and of itself. However, in order to solve it, I encourage people to look at overeating as a symptom- usually of anxiety and/or depression. One exercise is to take an accounting of your emotional states when you are tempted to overeat, and then and write about the feelings in a journal rather than eat. This will help you to delay gratification (you can feel good about the discipline), and simultaneously you will find more productive ways to express and cope with negative feelings.
A Lynn

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

4/18/05 5:28 PM

Shlomo, I am overweight, and so is my daughter with Down syndrome-- so I am trying to increase BOTH of ourselves awareness. kids with DS have an added problem that their basal metabulism rate is about 10% less than others.
There is a dietician who has written VERY good ideas on how to reach teens with DS. Her name is Joan Medlen, the book is published by Woodbinehouse publishers

http://www.woodbinehouse.com/search_results.asp?PAGE=3&txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=29&txtsearchParamType=ALL&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&btnSearch.x=12&btnSearch.y=4

"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

8/29/05 12:42 PM

I don't think it's always Taavas Achila
I know by me it isnt.
I'm overweight, and I tend to eat, all the time, I can be very full, have a stomach ache and sit with a plate of noodles and eat..
I think I'm also eating alot to supress other feelings and food is the only thing that gives me a good feeling (for the moment only).
Not only do I binge, but I actually go around looking for food even if I have just eaten and I'm not hungry at all
I also tend to eat very quickly so by the time I finish I don't feel full and keep stupping myself.

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

9/4/05 1:21 PM

Dr Lynn, Your idea of writing in a journal is a very good one but it won't work for me.
I am a very depressed person and s/times I am soo depressed that I say to myself, that I'm sooo depressed that I won't eat a/thing today, I end up eating double.
I don't like writing in a journal or diary. I am very not in touch with my emotions and don't like to talk about myself in a journal or diary.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

9/4/05 7:31 PM

Hello Needsupport!

It seems that you are already aware of what you need to do to overcome your problem.
You said you eat to suppress other emotions that you can't or won't deal with. As someone
who is dealing with an eating disorder (anorexia), I can tell you that almost all eating problems
whether eating too much or too little, are emotional in nature.
My suggestion then, is for you to find a therapist or dietician who specializes in eating disorders
and try to deal with your emotional problems ina healthy manner.
Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions

Ernie

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

9/5/05 9:17 AM

Ernie, I see a therapist once a week.
She has helped me alot and says that I improved in alot of areas..
but it takes forever till I see some progress.. it's tough.
seeing here more often is not an option, she has a very busy schedule.
seeing s/one else is not an option either as I have no money and work full time.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

9/5/05 12:14 PM

I'm glad you're seeing a therapist. Do you feel confident that she is helping you at all?
If not, sometimes a change is needed.
Either way, keep the faith! Keep writing and let us know how you are doing.

Ernie

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

9/5/05 7:12 PM

Ernie, thanx for the feedback.
Changing therapist is veeerry hard for me, I did it a year ago and actually went the whole summer w/out therapy and it was very bad then, I had needed it badly and bec. I wasn't getting it ended up much worse, I could've gone for the summer but it took me a very long time to have the courage to start with the new one, I liked the old one alot but she was gonna be on maternity leave and she gave me the choice of 2 others, It's very hard for me to open up again to s/one new and tell them my long megillahs. finally at the end end of the summer, s/one pulled me into her office and said, there you are, try it out. I tried it and didn't want to go back to the old one. I liked the old one but the current one works with a diff. approach which I like better, I don't think I will change again, I feel she is helping me, I think if I would've have more time with her I could get more done, by the time I finish telling her what went on that week we don't have time for any solution seeking. it's tough.

Also if I would be able to stand up for myself I could've had more done by now and wouldn't be in such a bad state (I'm talking about other issues, not just overeating)

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

9/6/05 9:25 AM

Needsupport,

I just sent you a private message. Do you know how to access it?

Ernie

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

9/6/05 3:45 PM

Thanx Ernie, I replied.

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

12/21/05 3:04 PM

i soo eat too much.

atara

(i've had a trainer for seven years, lost 50 lbs. in one year, then gained 30 of it back. seems like it's not working. any ideas?)

atara

what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

1/24/06 6:47 AM

I also lost and gained back. For a while I kept saying, "I CAN do it myself." Finally one day I said, "Well, you're NOT doing it yourself, so go to a diet group!" And so far I have lost 15 kilo.:D Anyway, to lose weight and stick to it, you need to want to lose MORE than you want to eat.

"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

1/25/06 9:58 AM

lol, good point. i'm thinking of joining weight watchers and eating less and excersising more, anddefinitely want to lose more than i want to eat, but i will do it very very very slowly ad meticulously this time, so hopefully this time it will stay off for good.

atara

what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

8/12/06 4:04 PM

In addition to a group, I think a diet diary for at least a few weeks
should be attempted. Write WHAT you eat, WHEN you eat, WHY
you eat (feeling, are you full or not, etc.)
This type of diary can be very useful. It helps you see patterns
in things that are triggering the behavior. For example, I
discovered that being tired was and is a big trigger in overeating,
as well as emotional upset. There is not too much I can do to
decrease tension-causing behavior in family members, but the
TIREDNESS may be much more controllable. I discovered that
one of my best stategies to avoid overeating was a nap in the
afternoon.
TIREDNESS may not be a trigger for you- but by making a diary
you can search for things that DO trigger eating behavior, and
then you can try and find a way to deal with these triggers.

"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

9/12/06 6:08 PM

yeah they do say that people who get more sleep dont eat as much as when they get less sleep. i guess it makes sense in that the less hours you're awake the less you can eat but they say it has more to do with it than that. but "they" say alot of things so i dunno if there's any truth in that.

Bottom

eagle wings
Supporter

9/13/06 12:51 PM

It has definately been shown in studies
that people who undersleep has a much bigger tendency to overeat.

"Let GO and Let G_D"

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

10/4/06 12:49 PM

hey. this is a website i found with some cool tips. (i'm signed up for all of these nutrition and weight loss emails so i get lots of cool stuff, if anyone's interested in that kind of thing i can tell you what i get).
anyway here's a list of tips to deal with overeating. i think some of them are actualy really practical. of course any change is really hard at first, but if you get into a routine it gets easier as you go on.
here's the site, click on here if you're interested in viewing it:
http://diet.ivillage.com/issues/iportions/0,,bjzg,00.html?nlcid=cv|09-29-2006|

Edited: 10/4/06 at 12:49 PM by killedlastyear

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Addiction > Addiction < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.