Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Feeling Overwhelmed
Created On 5/30/16 12:34 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

WingsofHope
Junior Supporter

5/30/16 12:34 AM

Hi, everyone. I haven't been on frumsupport for a really long time, which means I've been doing amazingly well till now, B"H. But there's just so much going on in my life now, that every night I find myself getting depressed again. I started putting myself down again, too.

Just found out I have TMJ and have to wear a mouth splint all the time for the next 6 to 8 months. And that's after running to a bunch of different doctors, who didn't know how to diagnose all my headaches and dizziness and difficulty concentrating etc. I hope this thing works, because I can't see as well without my lenses, which I haven't been able to wear for the longest time, and I can't always function anymore with these daily headaches. I'm so nervous this TMJ is never going to go away, and I'm going to have chronic pain forever.

Anyway, what also bothers me is a dream I had quite a few years ago. My uncle (who was niftar) came to me in the dream and told me I'm going to get married and have 2 kids, a boy and a girl, and then my tafkid is going to be over. Ever since then, the dream really bothered me. My husband took me to a Rav and he said it's just a dream, it doesn't have to mean something bad. But I know of people who passed away and came to people in dreams to tell them something. I even went to shul to say the tefillah that nullifies bad dreams. But I'm married now with a boy and a girl and because I just had a girl, I am totally freaking out.

I don't know what to do with myself. I'm really depressed, and every night I'm petrified to go to sleep because I'm convinced I'm going to die and never wake up, G-d forbid. I don't know what to do. My husband tried reassuring me so many times about this dream. I drove him crazy repeating my fears over and over, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to die.

I've always leaned toward the negative idea that I deserve to die young, and the fear that that's probably what's going to happen to me.

And all I keep thinking about is how the people in my family keep getting older and my fears get worse and worse that someone's going to pass away soon. And then I keep thinking, what's the point of it all? What's the point in living if everyone you love, and eventually you-yourself-is going to die?

I know, I know, there's the next world and Mashiach etc. But somehow I wonder if I believe that it's true. I feel guilty thinking that, as a Jew who's supposed to believe in all these futuristic ideas of Geula, but I keep wondering if maybe there's a lot that Hashem didn't reveal to us, and maybe things are going to be different once Mashiach comes.

And who will I be anyway? And maybe I won't deserve to live in those times . . .

But anyway, I'm a stay at home mom now, and that's also taking its toll on me. I mean, I love, love, love my kids, but I feel like I'm missing something now. I used to work with special needs kids, and that gave me a purpose, but now things have changed, and I have to be home with my kids. One of them was a preemie, so I'm too protective to leave her with a babysitter. But I feel like I need to do something meaningful, something productive.

But I don't even have the time for anything because I'm too busy with the kids. I used to take piano lessons, but I was pregnant and couldn't keep up practicing because I wasn't feeling well, but I would love to do that again one day. I don't see how I would find the time to practice now either, but I wish so badly that I could do that. Or take swimming lessons. And I want so badly to publish the book I've written. I'm busy editing it, but I'm so terrified to send it in.

What if all the Jewish publishing companies reject it? It's not really a typical Jewish book. It's very unique and a bit controversial. But I love it and believe in it.

So back to the kids; I feel like my whole day is a waste. Not the part about spending time with my kids, but just that the day goes by so speeding fast, it's gone in two seconds, and then I'm already starting the next day and the next, and before I know it, all my days are gone, and what have I accomplished?

I feel so empty these days, and it makes me frustrated and I feel like I'm slipping back into old patterns again.

I used to be very depressed and cutting and I went for therapy. Lately I feel very strong urges to cut again, which I have not acted on, but still . . . it's hard not to do it. And I feel so empty, so lonely inside. I would love to connect with my friends, but it seems like everyone's too busy to keep in touch.

Plus lately I've been struggling with nursing my preemie. With my first baby, nursing didn't work out because I was too exhausted to nurse at night and probably my son wasn't latching on well or something. With my baby girl, I taught her to nurse, but lately she's not doing really well with it. I give her pumped milk in a bottle, but feel horribly guilty doing so, and feel downgraded as a mother. I think I'm finally going to get myself a lactation consultant to help me. I really want to nurse so badly.

I wish I could be a happier, more confident, and more positive person. It would definitely enhance my marriage if I would stop being so negative and complaining and worrying so much. I hate that I do that. My husband doesn't deserve that. He's the most amazing person. I wish I could give him more, do more for him. I wish I was more sociable and had better self-esteem and was more easy-going, with more enthusiasm for life. Like my husband. I told him he's my role model, but somehow, I can't seem to implement his ways into my routine. It's so frustrating, because I really wish I could.

I really want to be a better, happier person.

Any ideas or encouragement?

Thank you so so much for reading my post. It really means a lot to me!!!

Feeling Hopeful,

WingsofHope

-------------------------
I will try to fly until my wings carry me. They are my silent hope.

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

5/30/16 4:50 AM

You sound like an amazing person and a really devoted mother!
I can relate to some of what you wrote. My children are grown now, but when they were small, I felt pretty much the way you do. Looking back, I realize that being a stay at home mom was not good for me. I need both structure and creative stimulation, and I wasn't getting either then. Being physically exhausted made me feel negative and depressed.
Did you read Dr. Miriam Adahan's book, Awareness? I found that helpful in understanding myself.
Your husband and children are lucky to have such a caring and sensitive mother, and I am sure you will have a lot of nachas from them iy"h.

Bottom

WingsofHope
Junior Supporter

5/30/16 12:07 PM

Wow, thanks so much! It really means a lot to me, keep climbing

I wish I could figure out how to have some sort of structure besides for being a mother. It's hard for me to stay home all day with the kids, even though I love them.

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

5/30/16 12:37 PM

Maybe you can take a class or go to the gym? A part time job? Any regular activity that you enjoy and doesn't exhaust you.

Bottom

WingsofHope
Junior Supporter

5/30/16 5:39 PM

That sounds like a great idea!!! Thanks Just have to find something I like that's not too expensive, and make sure someone can watch the kids. It would be great to have that structure even once a week. Something to look forward to

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

5/30/16 6:28 PM

H ope you can do it because it can really make a difference. Good luck!

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

5/30/16 8:40 PM

Hi wingsofHope,

I just wanted to say that I read your post and you sound like a great mother. You have a lot on your plate, and it's only normal to feel negative when dealing with exhaustion and fatigue. It's great that your husband can be your role model, but you shouldn't be so down on yourself about your perceived shortcomings. I'm sure you have some very positive qualities too. Don't have much advice at the moment, despite having been a stay at home mom. I struggled with it a lot and never was able to find the perfect balance. Exercising and getting out, as keep climbing mentioned, is really important. Proper nutrition too in my experience. Meds or supplements for anxiety if necessary.

Hang in there. You're doing a great job!

Bottom

WingsofHope
Junior Supporter

6/1/16 9:47 PM

Thanks so much for everything, keep climbing! wishtobehappy, thank you so so much for your encouragement! It's so hard to find the right balance and to be patient with the kids all the time-especially when you don't get out enough.

I find that if I even go out to the grocery store or the cleaners, it makes such a difference in my day. I need to go out at least once a day. I just find it hard to push myself to set up the double carriage, make sure both kids aren't hungry, make sure they had their pampers changed . . . till I get out could take a couple of hours. Somehow the day dwindles pretty quickly.

I keep trying to create a schedule, but somehow with two little kids, that schedule keeps changing, becoming totally unpredictable!!!

Somehow, even with two kids to keep me busy, I sort of feel bored. I need to feel like I'm accomplishing something, not just parenting. So I have the book I'm working on, that I hope to publish, but I feel like I need something more. I guess I need to get out more, but a lot of times, I don't even know where to go.

I'm missing basic structure in my day. When I used to work, I had to be up a certain time, get on the bus, and follow the school's schedule. Then, when I got home, it was late afternoon already.

But honestly, I'm happy not to work a whole day. I do wish I could still work with the special needs girl I helped until my second baby was born. But I want to nurse her. I have an appntmnt with a lactation consultant this Friday. Hope it helps. Also, if I would go back to working with this special needs girl once a week, I would need someone to babysit both kids.

Till now, my mother watched my son when I worked with this girl. But I don't think she could watch both kids.

Still trying to figure things out . . .

Again, when I go outside, I feel like I need a destination, not just 'going for a walk with the kids'. And I kind of feel overwhelmed bringing both of them along with me. I'm always worried my youngest is going to need a bottle (nursing not working out so far) and I won't know where to warm one up.

Thanks so much for everything, keep climbing and wishtobehappy!!! Keep the advice coming, if you think of anything else!!!

Bottom

WingsofHope
Junior Supporter

6/1/16 9:48 PM

Btw, I'll look into that book, keep climbing! Thanks

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

6/2/16 12:50 PM

You don't need a destination in order to go outside. I go for walks and tell myself=this is for my health. And it is (Maybe take the kids to a park?)
Good luck with the nursing. BTW, how old is your baby?.

Bottom

keep climbing
Senior Supporter

6/5/16 8:29 AM

How are you doing, Wings? we're all rooting for you.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Mental Health > Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.