Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: anyone here struggle with chew and spit?
Created On 8/3/11 1:19 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

8/3/11 1:19 PM

Hi, just joined this support group and it looks amazing. I've been anorexic and bulimic, but am doing much better except for chewing and spitting which I can't seem to kick, despite my best efforts. I feel disgusted with myself. Anyone else has this issue? Any advice?

Edited: 8/3/11 at 1:20 PM by wishtobehappy

Bottom

ayelet_hashachar
Supporter

11/24/11 9:44 PM

Yeah, I had that too. Are you very anxious when you eat? If so, maybe some deep breathing before could help. Or is it that you're hungry but can't stand the thought of all the calories? If so, maybe try eating small amounts throughout the day- so it's not a lot at once? I really recommend finding a good nutritionist- someone who specialized in eating disorders, listens to you, understands your struggles. I find that my own eating disorder reflexes are so ingrained that they're second-nature so to overcome them I have to confront the core psychological conflicts. A good nutritionist understands that and can help you work through them. Hope this helps!

-------------------------
Let's just say G-d knew I had a sense of humor.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

11/27/11 12:19 PM

Thanks for responding, I was doing much better in this area but relapsed over Succos. I can't seem to get back on track and I'm struggling with this a lot. I used to do it to avoid the calories in the food but now I usually use it more as a coping mechanism when I feel very empty, sad, depressed or anxious, it's basically a watered down version of binging and purging. As for a nutritionist, I've seen one in the past and she was helpful, but after a while I didn't feel like it was helping anymore. at this point I could be a nutritionist myself.

Bottom

ayelet_hashachar
Supporter

11/27/11 10:29 PM

I totally hear that! Hmm...maybe try deep breathing before eating?

-------------------------
Let's just say G-d knew I had a sense of humor.

Bottom

Ice Cream
Supporter

1/30/12 1:29 PM

Hi-
I can't believe I'm reading this post, as I'm desperate to stop too!
I used to be a compulsive binger, and by chewing and spitting, I've really stopped binging.
Yes I feel so much better, but this option totally disgusts me....
I do it basically when stressed or bored.
ANY SUGGESTIONS TO STOP???????

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

1/30/12 2:59 PM

feels good to find partners in crime... I also started doing it as an alternative to binging but after a while it got really out of hand, I'd do it all day, every day and felt totally out of control. I've also read that it causes weight gain and sugar imbalances as well as bad teeth, this frightened me off for a while but I keep on relasping, because as ayelet hashachar has mentioned, you need to address the underlying psychological issues and as long as you don't do that you're fighting a losing battle. the more I deal with the underlying emotions the easier it is to stop and lately I find myself relapsing less often b"h.

also, have you ever tried DBT, it can be really helpful.

Bottom

Ice Cream
Supporter

1/30/12 3:13 PM

In other words, you're suggesting I find the reason causing the stress or emotions, that would have caused me to binge but now I'm expressing myself in this form?
Thanks! That's gonna be tough- any suggestions where to start other than therapy? Perhaps I could do this by myself?
TIA!

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

1/30/12 7:42 PM

basically yes. I know it's tough. I don't know about you, but I could not possibly do this on my own, I guess it all depends on how bad it is. besides emotional triggers I do it out of bordedom a lot, and once I get started it's a downward spiral, in that case, being on a busy schedule and feeling fulfilled can help ward it off. there are some good books on how to conquer food addictions you can google it, maybe you'll find them helpful, if you're totally out of control you'll probably need a good therapist and/or nutritionist. g'luck!

Bottom

Ice Cream
Supporter

1/30/12 10:51 PM

Wow- thanks for your help. I will try on my own and see if it helps at all before taking the next step.
Any book recommendations?

Bottom

Ice Cream
Supporter

2/7/12 2:44 PM

I can't believe I could actually say this, but it's been a week + 1 day since I've chewed/spit. NEVER have I lasted more than a day. I'm trying to divert my focus off food and see underneath me where the addiction lies. So far so good and I'm hoping for further success.
Just an update, thanks for your support.

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

2/10/12 2:47 PM

amazing! keep it up!

I was doing really well for a month or so but have been having trouble again in the last coupla days. hope to get back on track soon. I don't come on here so often anymore but you can e-mail me if you want, let me know and I'll PM you with my info.

Bottom

wit!
Junior Supporter

8/8/13 11:03 PM

Are there any tricks/methods to overcome this evil monster?

Edited: 8/9/13 at 1:03 AM by wit!

Bottom

wishtobehappy
Senior Supporter

8/9/13 10:38 AM

see my post in the 'looking for support' thread.

Edited: 8/9/13 at 10:59 AM by wishtobehappy

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Mental Health > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.