Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: perfectionism in eating
Created On 2/20/12 9:38 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Teachright
Supporter

2/20/12 9:38 PM

so im a perfectionist and its really disturbing my eating habits. im on a diet and lost over 20 pounds i have like 5 more pounds to go(jst to feel good) and i literly stand on the scale when i eat im noradic about gaining weight and i go into a frenzy when i see the scale is off by even a half a pound(its usally not more than that and its normally off the next morning). sometimes i even fast because im so scared to gain any weight back. i know itll backfire cuz if i ever start to eat normally ill just gain it right back but it doesnt help. i tried telling myself once a week i can weigh myself and thats it but it doesnt work.

any ideas to the fact that i can eat without being petrified to gain and i can enjoy my food? at this point everything that i eat even if i like it i dont emjoy it cuz all i think about are those calories adding up. mind you my overall calorie intake is not that much to beign with and scientificly i cant gain weight but it still doesnt help!!!!

Bottom

Leah Anderson
Supporter

2/21/12 2:54 PM

Very often, dieting leads to eating disorders. You need to do two things. Throw out the scale because it will drive you crazy and is not an accurate measurement like if you ate something salty and if you are a woman hormonal weight gain once a month. The second thing is to see a therapist. You will be glad you did. Good luck.

Bottom

Messed up
Supporter

2/21/12 6:40 PM

Teachright, I agree with all that Leah said. Please try to follow what she said, even though it may be hard.

Also, in adition to a therapist, you may want to see a nutritionist. I found that very helpful. A nutrutionist can help you make a menu for yourself (while still allowing alot of your imput - so you feel like you have a certain amount of control). It also is helpfull to know that someone is on top of your weight, someone who wont let it get out of hand, so you dont have to worry so much about every pound, cuz you know if you weight gets to high, she'll cach it and will be there to help you figure out how to lower it - so its not on your head. Also she can tell you how much is normal to eat, how much weight is normal for your height, and in general reassure you so you dont panic. Also having someone on top of what you eat, makes you think twice b4 eating to little or not healthy and ect, since you know someone is going to ask you about it.

A nutristionst can help with the effects of the problem, but like I said before, you need a therapist to work on the underling reasons, bec without that, its just about impostble to heal.

Please do try to take care of it. By me, although b'h today I'm basicly recovered, then I denied the problem for a long time, and I cant tell you how many times I regreted not taking care of it right away - it would have made things SO much easier. The longer theres a probblem, the harder it is to get rid of it.

Hatzlocho Rabba!

Bottom

Teachright
Supporter

2/23/12 4:54 PM

im gonna try the nutritionist and well see how well that goes thanx for the advice

Bottom

Messed up
Supporter

2/23/12 5:57 PM

Thats a great step, Teachright! If ur eating prob didnt get to bad yet, I think theres a good chance that if your REALLY commited and work hard, that you'll be able to recover with a nutritionist. If that doesnt help (wich I hope it does) then you can see a T as well if you want.

The only thing is, usally there are underling reasons for such a prob, so then if they dont show themselves this way, they might show themselfves through another way. So keep that in mind. Maybe buy a self help book and follow that in combination with a nutritionist? Any Barnos and Nobles should have such a book.

I dont know were you live, but if you live in my area, I can recommend a very good nutritionist. shes a really sweet person, and really works WITH you. She takes some insurances and even if she doesnt take yours, she's very not into the money. A friend of mines insurance didnt cover her, and she only made my friend pay for the first visit. After that, she went for free. If ur interested, your welcome to pm me for more info.

Good Luck with what ever you end up doing!

Bottom

Teachright
Supporter

2/23/12 7:47 PM

what type of self help book would you be referring to?

Bottom

Messed up
Supporter

2/23/12 8:19 PM

To one on eating disorders. Even if you dont have one now/ or dont think you do, I think it would still be very helpful to you bec the type of things you decribed above, are things that really lead to an ED. A big book store should have a bunch of them. It would be best to try to get one thats written in a way that you read a little everyday, and then it gives you some exersise to do. That way you can work on it a little everyday. I'm not sure if they have a book exacly like that, but try to get somthing similar.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Mental Health > Eating Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.