Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Yomim Noraim
Created On 8/29/13 5:01 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Shver
Supporter

8/29/13 5:01 PM

For the last few years, I have been having an OCD relapse
around this time year. The OCD is not always related to the Yomim Tovim.
Usually, I am better by Succos. Last year, it lasted a long time and it was very difficult.
I think this is common among many frum people. Any advice on how to cope ?
Part of it the long davening in schul. I ifind Rosh Hashanna more difficult since I can't take
a break and have a short nap.

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

8/29/13 5:43 PM

Maybe just to take a break during davening.
You can give an excuse that you are under the weather, and you need to lie down a bit.

You may want to ask dr price for advice.
I think that he once mentioned that he treats ocd.

Hope to hear good news.

Kesiva vichasima toivo

Bottom

his8sm
Supporter

8/29/13 6:04 PM

I have ocd and I find it tough as well-more the intensity of the time building a succah tight schedules shopping etc. not forgetting the fact that ocd people like us find it easy to feel guilty about just about anything.
I would say its a balance to get the best out of the spirituality of the time without becoming overly guilty if you take it a little easy on occasion- after all with any other condition you would take that into account so just do what you can its all hashem expects

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

1/8/14 10:35 PM

I just saw a letter from the Lubavitcher rebbe on ocd. It's about physical OCD, like washing hands, but maybe the rebbe's advice can apply also to racing thoughts.

The letter is addressed to a lady. Here is a translation:

Surely the doctor told you, that many people are in the same situation that you describe (that it seems to them that they did something without 'hidur,' that their hands aren't clean and therefore they need to wash them again etc.)

And when they try to not dwell on these thoughts at all, (not to fight them, but rather to move away one's thinking about them as much as possible) -- they become weaker from time to time, until they pass by completely.

And when you have a desire to wash your hands, for example, you shouldn't make an issue of it, rather, you should either tell yourself that there is no validity to this desire, or you should wash your hands and then occupy yourself immediately in something that has no connection whatsoever to all this.

Among the causes for the above situation -- weakness in health generally -- and strengthening it will also help to lighten the situation.

Also, to speed the remedy -- you should ask a doctor who is a close friend, and do as he instructs.

Checking the mezuzos.

[submit] the names, and I will mention them at the tzion [ohel].

Bottom

ygoldstein257atyahoo
Junior Supporter

2/8/15 3:09 PM
User is offline View users profile

Thank you Gad for that letter. Where might the original be found?

PS Hello to my chavrusa somewhere on this forum

-------------------------
My email is revealed in my username.

Yehuda Goldstein

Bottom

gad
Senior Supporter

2/11/15 12:35 AM

Sholom uvrocho

Welcome to the site.

Sorry, I don't remember where the source is. If I find it, I can let you know.

I hope to hear good news from you.

Edited: 2/11/15 at 12:36 AM by gad

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) > OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.