Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: The pump and Shabbos
Created On 2/24/05 7:20 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

davis7
Junior Supporter

2/24/05 7:20 AM

I would like to get peoples feelings on how they use their pump on shabbos. Since the pump gives you alot of freedom do you just let go and eat what you want and then take the appropriate action by giving those extra units. Diffrent pumps give diffrent options I hace minimed 508 which enables a square bolus which i have heard is good for long meals I havenot tried does anyone have experince with this especially on shabbos

Bottom

splenda
Junior Supporter

3/5/05 9:44 PM

I use the dual and square bolus on Shabbos all the time. I tend to overeat at Shabbos meals and unless i set my square bolus I wake up shabbos morning with a real high BS level. It works great just you want to make sure not to give too much on the square so that you don't get a low in middle of the night.

-------------------------
splenda

Bottom

davis7
Junior Supporter

3/7/05 6:49 AM

Could you please explain to me want square bolus is and wy you use it dafaka on shabbos

Bottom

splenda
Junior Supporter

3/16/05 10:16 PM

the square bolus gives you a set amount of insulin over a set amount of time. Instead of giving a bolus that gives all the medicine at once, it gives for example 6 units over 3 hours. The reason it is good for Shabbos (i find), is for example if you eat a big meal Friday night that has many carbs but with fat, then the sugar doesn't hit your blood stream immediately. It may cause your sugar to rise hours after the meal. If you took a large bolus at the time of the meal, then you may get a low 2 hours later, because alot of the sugar hasn't even hit your bloodstream yet. Then you'll eat something to combat the low, and may not even know that you sugar is very high two hours after that. The square bolus lets you cover the carbs in a way that it delivers the amount you're body needs over the amount of time that it takes for it to enter the bloodsteam. I find that if I set a square bolus friday night, i wake up shabbos morning with good bs levels. Sometimes I forget, and without fail my sugar is high in the morning, even though it may have been low when i went to sleep. Do you get it?

splenda

Bottom

davis7
Junior Supporter

3/20/05 2:17 AM

Can you explain how to do this on the minimed 508 pump ?

Bottom

splenda
Junior Supporter

3/28/05 9:30 PM

i have a minimed 511 so i'm not sure if the 508 has the same functions. you should call the company (the number is on the back of the pump) and they can tell you if you're pump has this ability. my guess would be that if it had it then whoever trained you in using the pump would have taught you to use this feature. i guess you could look for it in the pump. it would be under bolus- you then have a choice normal, square, or dual. normal gives you the entire bolus at that time. square lets you put in the amount of the bolus and then the amount of time that you want it to be given over. so you can give yourself 6 units to be given over the next 3 hours for ex. The dual feature combines the two and lets you give yourself a bolus immediately, and then another bolus over the set amount of time.

splenda

Bottom

davis7
Junior Supporter

3/31/05 9:18 AM

That is great but how do you decide when to give Square or dual
Does it depend on the type of meal or its length or both
Maybe you could give me some examples of food and which method you have used
thanks

Bottom

sweet tooth
Junior Supporter

4/10/05 7:30 PM

i'de like to know if there is a specific halacha about eating on shabbess when you have a pump. the more you eat the more insulin you have to take, the more chilul shabbes is involved... does anyone know exactly what the halacha is??

Bottom

splenda
Junior Supporter

4/10/05 9:34 PM

Lets say you eat on Friday night a peice of potatoe kugel. It has oil and eggs in it so it may not hit your bloodstream right away. you would take a square bolus. the bolus would be for whatever your carb to insulin ratio normally is just you would set the pump to give you the medicine in small increments over the next 3 hours. if you would have take the total bolus needed to cover that amount of carbs all when you ate it, it would be very likely that you may go low, and then 2 hours later be high. do you get it? Carbs with fat don't hit the bloodstream right away so they need to be covered over time.

splenda

Bottom

davis7
Junior Supporter

4/11/05 6:56 AM

In general some one who is on the pump is a chol shyes bosacana and there fore is not violating anything the opposite he is doing a mizvah of behai behem.
On the other hand from what i know the pump is much less issurim than injections and rav sz aurbach holds that a machine with batteries there is basically no issur - check it out

Bottom

davis7
Junior Supporter

4/11/05 6:58 AM

Yes I do understand and the example was very good - i will try it this shabbos and see how i go
Should it be over 3 hours how do you know how much time to set it for or is it trial and error

Bottom

splenda
Junior Supporter

4/13/05 9:08 PM

i can't tell you how long to set it over but like you said based on trial and error you should be able to get some idea for a typical shabbos meal is usually the same food so if 3 hours works for you then stick with it. since i totally binge on shabbos i sometimes set it for even longer because i find that my sugar is still going up many hours after the meal. the one thing to keep in mind when trying this is that you should keep on checking your sugar to make sure you don't go low because this is something new. i would also prefer trying it after shabbos lunch rather than in the middle of the night. let me know how it goes!

splenda

Bottom

BBJ
Junior Supporter

4/15/05 1:29 AM

I would also discuss any changes with your endro. It is important to wok out a plan in consultation. IF he/she IS not jewish explain that on shabbos we eat, akot and discuss it. IF you have any questions about chilul shabbos speak to a rav do not be your own posek. Good luck be well

Bottom

IDDM11
Junior Supporter

2/22/06 2:13 PM

Am I the only one who got a psak not to press any buttons on my pump on Shabbos? I wear it, but I give myself shots after every time I eat with those disposable pens.

Bottom

samuelb
Junior Supporter

4/2/06 4:16 PM

It seems so. We were taught that pressing buttons ( even using square/daul boluses) is considered LESS chilul shabbos than taking shots. You may want to contact Rabbi Meisels (@friendswithdiabetes.org) or call him for Rabbi Weismandels' # (He's the official posek of the group & is VERY knowledgeable about diabetes & pumping). In the FWD newsletter (last year?) there was an article specificaly with these questions.
It is a shame to lose out on the benefits of pumping when it will matter most!!
Hatzlacha rabba!
Shmuel

Bottom

pin cushin
Junior Supporter

8/11/06 11:10 AM

who did you ask?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Diabetes > Diabetes < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.