Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Diabetic Shock
Created On 2/22/06 4:56 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

IDDM11
Junior Supporter

2/22/06 4:56 PM

I have been a Diabetic for 12 years, and until yesterday never experienced Diabetic Shock. It was probably the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. I woke up with an entire team of ambulence members standing over me, injecting glucose into me. My husband had called the ambulance, since I wasn't responding to my baby's cries, or him. Rather, I was just lying there with my eyes open. He had taken my sugar and it was 41 (low, but not THAT low), and started making me drink Sprite. I had just been at my doctor the day before, and had gotten the ok on everything, she hadn't even made any changes in my boluses or basils. Then all of a sudden the morning after this happened. Has anyone ever had an experience like this??

Bottom

samuelb
Junior Supporter

4/2/06 3:39 PM

I have unfortunately had such episodes several times, ( 2-3 times with Hatzala) I find that it's more common when asleep to slip into this situation because we don't always have the feeling of the low coming on. Also, you may be having a early -morning rebound (are you taking a long acting or bolus in early am?).
It is sometimes difficult to review what went wrong for a particular episode. Did you take a correction bolus at night , or skipped a snack? These may have caused a quick or sudden drop in BG. We are generaly taught that IF we cannot figure out why we got a severe low, we should lower the insulin in THAT period IMMEDIATLY! BG testing @ 2-4 am may shed some light on what's happening.
I hope you figure it out.
Good Luck,
Shmuel

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Diabetes > Diabetes < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.