Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Diabetes type 2
Created On 8/29/05 12:38 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

NeedSupport
Supporter

8/29/05 12:38 PM

Hi all!
I'm new here, I have diabetes type 2 and PCOS.
so far dr said I don't need insulin, I'm trying to control my sugar with Metformin and diet, and I lost 20 lbs.
I've been testing my sugar for about 3 months and lately the numbers are very high.
I have a follow up appt. tomorrow and I'm positive the dr will put me on Insulin.
Last time she said that if I will need Insulin, I won't need a/thing serious, just Lantus, which is a base, and I will only need to inject once in 24 hrs. Lantus doesn't really peak, it goes on a slow steady level for 24 hrs. the dr did give me some syringes and a bottle of water so in case if I need to take insulin I should learn how to inject, the injections are not very bad. (I've only done it a few times, well see what I say if I need it every day).
I test sugar twice a day (not any specific time, dr said to test every day 2 diff. times, like once pre breakfast and post dinner, or post breakfast and before bed, I alternate)
The hardest part for me is the diet.. I lost 20 lbs. but I'm not even a little bit proud. I need to lose another 120 to get to my average weight.
e/one tells me that after a while the cravings stop.. that didn't happen by me so far.. when it comes to food I have absolutely 0 self control.

Bottom

BH613
Supporter

8/30/05 3:51 PM

Needs Support,
I am in a rather similar boat to you. I have been diagnosed with type 2 just 2 months agoa and am now on fortamet. The doctor said that if this does not work, I will need insulin. I have PCOS also. I need to lose 100 pounds and am struggling to do so. I lose two pounds and gain 3. Maybe we can be a support to each other. Would you mind a private email message?
Miriam

Bottom

BH613
Supporter

8/30/05 3:52 PM

Are you doing any special diet?
Miriam

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

8/31/05 12:01 PM

Hi Miriam, thanx for replying.

I went to the dr. yesterday for a follow up,
I had started with 500 mg. Metformin, went up to 1000 but couldn't tolerate it, so I went down to 750, I still have stomach aches but not such bad ones and not so often.
She told me to try to go back up to 1000 in a few weeks.
She is extremely proud that I lost 20 lbs. the only puzzling thing was that I lost weight, Metformin is def. helping it as I see that when I was off it for a few days, I didn't lose.
But my sugar levels were still pretty high (I've had as high as 290 something.
so yesterday she told me that she is going to put me on Byetta which is a fairly new medication, acommplishes similar to what Metformin does, it helps the sugar go down and the weight loss too. it's an injection though, a pen needle, and she gave me a prescription for that, then she sent me down to the lab to do an A1C Hemaglobin, which tests the overall sugar level of the last 3 months.
She called me back today in the morning saying that the A1C is very good, 5. something, last time it was 6.9 which is just borderline, so she said she dosent think I'll need the Byetta, I can't decide if I should try it anyways, I don't think it can hurt, maybe I'll just lose faster.
She also said that my Cholesterol levels are very high (which comes as no surprise to me, as I love cheese and eggs), so she called in to the pharmacy for medication, forgot the name, I'm going to pick it up soon.

I would love to be in touch with you by email, PM, messanger, whatever you want.
PM me for my email adress or AIM/Yahoo name.

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

8/31/05 12:03 PM

Sorry, forgot to say about the diet.
I am supposed to cut out sugar and carbs, which is very hard, and with my cholesterol, testosterone, and trygicelides levels, I don't have a big choice of foods, but I'm very bad with the diet, e/one tells me that after a while the cravings subside, they didn't, I've been dieting for 3 months and still crave Choc. like crazy.

Bottom

afototaker
Junior Supporter

12/9/05 10:08 AM

I too was diagnoised with type II 3 years ago and except for the total weight I had to lose (60 lbs in total) was very similar.

Your Dr may not agree with this because he will believes in the ADA diet but he will have to admit its not wrong. Its all about carb control.

Stay away from white flour (almost all bread but see below), corn, potato, fruit, carrots, peas.

Use instead old fashioned oats, salad, cauliflower and broccoli.

I'll also assume you are shomer mitzvot and shabbat so follow these additional hints:

Kiddush use Carbanet Sovigenat wine (almost 0 sugar use your meter to test)
for hamotzi use bread or challa made of whole wheat flour only.

Last and just as important with what you eat excercise.

Set a time and walk, or get a recumant excercise bike its a slow process start with 5 mins or less and build up from there. get a MP3 player load it with music, talmud, daf yomi or whatever it breaks down the bordom. its very tough but in a month or 2 it becomes as much a part of you as getting up every morning and davening. i have stick to it for 30 months and for the last 2 years have kept the weight off, sugar is never over 120 before breakfast. and under 110 before dinner, and no medication.

its tough but once your on the progam its easy

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

12/11/05 6:01 AM

Hi Fototaker..

I'll try to answer your questions and comments.

I try to eat whole wheat bread. I like it. but I already said that when it comes to food I have no self control at all. so s/times I decide that the noodle kugel is better then my slice of whole wheat bread.
I don't like too many veggies.

Yes, I'm Shomer Torah Umitzvos and I keep Shabbos.. I don't make kiddush, I drink a little grape juice, I don't like wine.
I eat the reg. challah bec. that's what is served and I like it better.

Ohhh.. excercise.. how I hate that word... I don't like to do any excersice the little I is walk ten mins. to scholl every day, I know it's not enough but it is tiring. I don't have time to walk more then that anyways and I live in a Chassidish community where I can't go on the street with my mp3 player (I have one, I use it when I travel and I'm bored). I tried treadmill and biking but get breathless after about 25 seconds.. I simply can't do more then that.. I used to go to curves and liked it but now I don't have the time and the money for it.. I had lost 18 inches with curves but no lbs. bec. .I wasn't really dieting..

Dieting and exercise are 2 very rough spots for me.. I did lose 22 lbs already but went back up, so now I'm only 15 lbs down.. it keeps going up and down.
I also have alot of other situations going on which contribute to stress and depression, which in turn makes me eat..

Bottom

just a guy
Junior Supporter

12/27/05 8:04 PM

to need support etc.

Same deal-diagnosed type 2 last year. I hate to say it, but here's what work for me-abject terror. I went online and read a short list of the complications from diabetes, I'm sure you know them-if you don't-google it and take a look. Scared the living daylights out of me. The way I saw (and see) it is I've got two choices-live with a good quality of life or get ready to suffer-a lot. Wasn't much of a question for me. I did get pretty radical- I've lost about 60 lbs and this week it will be a year since I've had any cake, candy, chocolate, cookies etc. I am (bli neder) sworn off them forever. My daily carb intake is about what is recommended for 1 meal alone. BUT-my A1c went from 11.1 when I was diagnosed (no that's not a typo) to 5.5-without insulin. My doctor wanted me to use insulin but I told him I would do it my way-he was a little surprised. Needless to say I feel great having taken 7 inches off my waist. I could go on but I'm probably already sounding annoying. Anyway, as I said what worked and continues to work for me is my fear of amputations, dimentia, heart disease, kidney disease, blindness etc. I'm kind of a fighter by nature so that's what motivated me. I actually say it was a bit of a beracha as I am in much better shape and taking better care of myself than before. My brother-in-law had a heart attack at age 38 about 10 years ago (my age now, btw). There are other ways you can find out you're not taking care of yourself, and many involve hitting the floor. Be thankfull this is something you caught and can control. Hope this helps.

Bottom

NeedSupport
Supporter

12/28/05 1:50 AM

Just a guy, thanx for sharing
You're not annoying. it's encouraging but I'm the type of person that wont work hard enough to lose weight, until I'm sick in a hospital bed..

Bottom

Yoursaver
Junior Supporter

1/30/06 2:00 AM

Hi Miriam,
My Name is Chaim, I want you to know that i was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 , I started on a diet & also itake Metformin, i want you to know that since i found out in Mid November tahat i have Diebetics 2 , i started on my own diet & B"H i lost about 40 lbs. & i eat 3 meals a day. You have to eat in order to loose, One of the things you can do eat in the morning a can of tuna tjhat's in water , you can put in 2 teaspoons of lite Mayonaise which is only 50 calories & have a coffee , also do exercise & drink at least 8 glasses of water, you will see for yourself that this thing works. Also i want you to know That i stop Noshing alltogether & i feel no use that i need any nosh at all. If u want you can write to me & i will Help u & direct you out of your promblem. By the way i still have to loose another 100lbs.& i hope to reach it by November of 2006. Stay in touch & i will help u loose your weight & You"ll be happy .Text

-------------------------
I can help some of the people

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism > Diabetes < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.