Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: How fast dialysis started?
Created On 1/18/05 4:24 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Thank Him
Junior Supporter

1/18/05 4:24 PM

HI!
I Have a family member who has some kidney problems and the doc says that he will have to go on to dialysis or have a transplant soon. I want to know what is the normal number of the creatine when you have to start dialysis.

-------------------------
Only Hashem Can Help

Bottom

helping hand

1/18/05 5:45 PM

I hope the following link would answer your question
should you have any more questions please feel free to post them

http://www.aakp.org/AAKP/Forms/ckdbook.pdf

you need Acrobat reader to view the link

Bottom

It's All For The Best
Junior Supporter

1/19/05 2:44 PM

There really is no "normal number of the creatine when you have to start dialysis." It really varies from person to person. I happen to know someone who's creatinine climbed to 12 before needing dialysis, while another was sick enough to need dialysis/txp (transplant) by #3! Although your family member is going thru quite a rough time now, one can really be encouraged by the fact that there are many, many people who have successful txp's, B"H, and go on to lead healthy, normal lives. Refuah Shelaima! Please ask any more questions you may have

It's all for the best!

Bottom

zamp
Junior Supporter

1/19/05 11:09 PM

The creatine level is only a measure of kidney function. I, too, have seen patients with creatine levels over 8 before starting dialysis. B"H, our bodies have an amazing ability to adapt to stresses placed on the normal functioning levels.
The doctor's decision to begin dialysis will probably depend on other factors such as overall function of the other systems and results of blood tests. Uremia, urea in the blood, *does* have system-wide effects, and that ultimately will be the determining factor in when to start dialysis. The doctor may also be deciding whether kidney function can be improved (eg, if the kidney malfunction is reversible) with medications.
Hashem should grant your relative a complete refuah sheleima b'soch shaar cholei yisroel.

Bottom

gailks
Junior Supporter

5/31/05 1:59 PM
User is offline View users profile

i had a kidney transplant 21 years and eight months. the last 2 years i had problems with a rise in creatinine. it kept going up and down and couple of times i was dehydrated and had to be admitted which brought my creatinine down. then i went to the progressive renal disease clinic and my creatine was up a little. i wasn't feeling to bad. my left ankle was swon up to my knee. but when the doctor checked my heart i had a pericardial friction rub and some fluid aaround the heart that necessited dialysis. that was my 2nd trasnplant i hope to go for my third.

gaail karen shaanfield

Bottom

manray
Junior Supporter

1/19/06 2:06 PM

i started dialasys at 8.1 but i should have started sooner. once you know that you are going to need it , you should start. dialasys is actualy good for you.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Nephrology > Dialysis < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.