Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: live kidney donor
Created On 3/23/06 10:33 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bfg
Junior Supporter

3/23/06 10:33 AM

I am being tested as a potential kidney donor for my husband. Anybody with such experience please share with me the physical, emotional ramifications of donating a kidney.
Thanks

Bottom

shaindy
Junior Supporter

3/27/06 12:54 PM

i am beggining to be tested as a potential donor for my husband as well- how far along are you in the process?

Bottom

bfg
Junior Supporter

3/28/06 10:26 AM

hi,
just started.
had creatinine clearance, blood tests, ekg, chest x-ray, abdominal ultrasound.

feedback that I have had, is that crossmatch was negative (which means that as far as blood type, antigens, antibodies, etc. it's a go-ahead), abdominal ultrasound showed healthy kidneys.

waiting to hear from transplant coordinator, need to have some sort of talk to see if I am acceptable - emotionally as well as otherwise, to be a donor. need to hear from her about further testing.

good luck.

Bottom

bfg
Junior Supporter

5/16/06 10:45 AM

Hi again,
How far along are you?
I have had medical clearance, now up to the detailed tests - renal scan to check individual kidney function and cat scan to check out blood vessels and structures.
am getting a bit nervous, unknown, etc.
doctors are about ready to list my husband.
happening much sooner than expected.
keep in touch
b'suros tovos

Bottom

mamoshnow
Junior Supporter

12/8/06 3:55 PM

Hi! I just (Nov. 29th) donated a kidney to our 16 year old son. It was a laproscopic procedure. I can't say that it was quite as easy as the doctors led me to beleive but I am recuperating nicely B"H. And the best part about it is of course that our son is off of dialysis now and has perfect kidney function so it was absolutly worth everything.

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/11/06 9:15 AM

Hi!

Hatzlacha and refuah shelayma to you all. I would like to be a live kidney donor for anyone who needs it. I was told that being that I have AB+ blood type,
it would be most certainly needed.
My only problem is, I am not sure yet if I can be cleared as I have high BP. The coordinater told me, I would not neccesarily be disqualified.

I will be so disappointed if I cannot do this. When else would I have an opportunity to save another person's life?

Ernie

Bottom

ernie55B
Senior Supporter

12/11/06 9:17 AM

Btw, I suffer from severe depression, and I believe this would be the best medicine for me!

Bottom

bfg
Junior Supporter

12/13/06 2:34 PM

I was to have donated my kidney (Laproscopically) to my husband on Nov 14th, but unfortunately we had to put it off for a short while as he had a serious kidney bleed (from polycystic kidney) and needed a blood transfusion. He was put on low-dose immunosuppressants so hopefully he didn't develop antibodies to my blood or kidney. IY'H we will redo cross-match tomorrow morning and if all is as we hope it is we will be rescheduled for January or February.
Is there anything you would recommend I know before I undergo laporascopic procedure, any surprises; would you be able to provide more information about recovery period for the first week after surgery?
Good luck; you did wonderful good deed; may your son continue to do well and be blessed with good health.

Bottom

mamoshnow
Junior Supporter

12/19/06 12:08 AM

The procedure itself was as they described it. It took about 31/2 hours. The day after the surgery they had me out of bed and I went to visit my son on another floor but then I really did not feel well. I was dizzy and nauseous and having a bad reaction to the pain meds. As soon as I stopped them I began to feel better and I went home the next day. The first week was pretty hard. Just getting up and down to the couch and in and out of bed was a challenge but it really passed by quickly and now, three weeks later, I am about 90% back to myself. Each day I can feel a difference.
The doctors told me to take it easy for a few more weeks and then I can begin long walks or excercise if I want. Overall I am very happy with the decision to give my kidney.
I wish you and your husband much hatzlacha and a Refuah Shelaima.
A Frelichen Chanukah!!

Bottom

bfg
Junior Supporter

2/4/07 4:22 PM

On January 23, my kidney was successfully donated (via laporascopic surgery) to my husband with pkd. B'H all went smoothly and we are thanking Hashem every moment for the wonderful change to his condition. My surgeon said I was born to do this (it went so classically well) and my husband's surgeon was excited by how well the kidney immediately started functioning.
Within a couple of days, he lost about 6 kilo of fluid, within a week all his creatinine, ureas, uric acids were within normal range. Now he has to go to clinic twice a week for meds regulation and for follow-up.

Anyone who wants more info or details about live donor transplant, from donor or recepient angle, please contact us through frumsupport.com

Bottom

kidneygiver
Junior Supporter

9/27/08 11:45 PM
User is offline View users profile

I donated a kidney to a total stranger on June 25, 2003. I would love to talk to anyone interested in donating a kidney. Give me a call. My name is David and my phone number is
1-718-854-7789. If you get my answering machine please leave a message. I will, bli
neder, call you back.

-------------------------
I donated a kidney to a total stranger on June 25, 2003.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Kidney Transplant > Kidney Transplant < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.