Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: Re: Coaching & Getting Diagnosed
Created On 12/29/08 12:05 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

webjunkie
Junior Supporter

12/29/08 12:05 AM

Hi;

I have two answers for those questions....

As to coaching.... there are some good coaches, but alot of people claim their coaches, but don't do anything...

All a coach can do is recommend or suggest alternatives to to your typical behavior patterns...

Coaching works for some, not for others... it depends on the individual..
As to diagnosis...

There are several good "self assesment" tests on line... all a Doctor does on your first visit is ask those very same questions....

Most of the tests ask 21 questions... if yuo say yes to most of them, you should consider the possibility that you have ADD or ADHD.

Since its a neurobiological disorder, there is no set diagnosis...

Bottom

torah momma
Supporter

12/29/08 10:51 PM

can you recommend any of the coaches that you know are good. Thank you.

Bottom

webjunkie
Junior Supporter

12/30/08 12:34 AM

I have only met one coach in NYC who I really respect.. and in all candor, I don't remember her name... and from what I remember, she's not cheap...

I don't like recommending commercial services, becuause they work for some people, not others...

Coaching is not cheap... rather then go to a coach...

try alternatives (which you can do for free)

Write notes to yourself to remember tasks....

get together with a friend & clean your apt...

Bottom

killedlastyear
Senior Supporter

2/18/09 3:29 PM

I tried coaching once. One of the country's top ADHD coaches happens to live in my state so my mom sent me over to her (supposedly she wasn't taking new patients but somehow i got in...); anyway I didn't have the best experience. Since she was so "good" she had too many clients (patients?) so she really didn't remember much about me and I really didn't get the feeling that she cared all that much either. She gave me few tests to take and kept forgetting to give me the results (even though I asked her about them every time). She said she hadn't seen them yet. Finally she tells me she'd seen them but when she went to look for them she couldn't find them! It seemed like the whole office had ADHD. I could go on about that but I think you get the point.
Oh yes and it was very much not cheap.
I've been to only one other coach besides for her so I guess my thought's aren't worth much, but what I think is that for most people they only tell you really obvious stuff that you already know. You can buy a book and read the stuff they can tell you (I can give you the names of some, my mom has a ton on her bookshelf).

I've found plain old therapy to be more useful then coaching.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > ADHD > ADHD < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.