Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: benign neglect vs. non-support
Created On 10/10/08 12:19 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

justso
Supporter

10/10/08 12:19 AM

I started a new thread regarding the lack of support for adult adhd.

I believe that currently, the rabbinic community has been sensitized/educated regarding child and domestic abuse and this is seen as a more serious and urgent issue. I recently went to a lecture given by a very chasuv rav who advises a frum mental health agency. The topic was "mental illness in the Jewish community," but all he spoke about was the shanda of sxl abuse.

I got a bit annoyed, I felt the title of the lecture was misleading, but then I realized this is indicative to the issue at hand: mental illness is only seen as the result of an evil act. This results in intensifying the stigma since this perpetuates the "charecter defect" ontology.

On a side note, I've been dealing with a recent mental health set-back and this has affected my income, but I don't feel safe to explain this to the tuition committee. Its the stigma thing again and I worry how this will affect my family's reputation(eg shidduch.) I told them that I was in the hospital during the summer, but they don't know why. I'm choking over the increase in tuition and my income from work by affect my medicaid and thus, my treatment. HELP

Bottom

Supporter

11/19/08 9:24 PM

I'm not sure I get your point. I wish that sxl abuse was called what it was--a result of unbridled 'ta'avah' and, as the name implies, it's abuse. It may meander into the 'mental health' arena when a person truly wants to stop but has difficulty doing so and seeks help from 'mental health' professionals.

Please get the therapy you need--emotional and physical. Chazak V'ematz.

Bottom

momoffivesofar
Junior Supporter

3/26/11 11:09 PM

I think I get your points.
1-you're annoyed that any mental health issue in the frum community is being blamed on abuse and therefore anyone who has not been abused but has a mental health issue isn't getting the attention or support they need?
2-Because of the stigma and shame resulting from the lack of education and support for frum families with mental health issues, those families are not understood or supported because it's a cycle, lack of education -> shame -> misrepresenation -> lack of financial or emotional support -> etc. You are suffering financially because you can't explain your reasons for not being able to pay tuition because you want to marry off your children one day. I totally understand that and there should definitely be more support for families with ADHD or mental health issues. It may have something to do with how you were treated as a child, but it's also genetic and definitely doesn't have to be a result of any kind of abuse.

-------------------------

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Mental Health > ADHD < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.