Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: yeshiva in Israel for young men with high-functioning special needs
Created On 4/23/06 1:35 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bmwachs
Junior Supporter

4/23/06 1:35 PM

I am a mother of a 21 year-old young man who was diagnosed with asperger at about the age of 11. He is currently attending a wonderful brand new yeshiva in Israel (where we live) that caters to the needs of high-functioning special needs young men. As his mother, I am so utterly grateful to have finally found a place where my special son can get the tools he needs to work on himself. The staff is incredibly devoted and talented. I am posting this message to let parents know that there is a wonderful place that exists where your son can grow in a Torah environment, with staff who truly know how to help these young men.

Any questions? Please ask!

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

5/18/06 3:23 PM

hello, i am a single white 23 year old jewish rather religious modern orthodox female looking for my bashert. i dont know if regular guys would "want" me, because i'm "blemished" and bipolar. i guess i figured high functioning asperger's guys i might like, since i am currently dating one, and i like him a lot (we're not exclusive yet..) i figure if i like one guy with asperger's i may like more. maybe not? what do you think, bmwacks?

atara

-------------------------
what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

bmwachs
Junior Supporter

5/23/06 10:37 AM

It's very possible that high-functioning Asperger young men might be the right kind of guys for you. But I think it is all very individual. I also think that it is possible that a young man without bipolar disorder or any other kind of special need, could also be interested in you.
Like I tell all my kids (only my oldest has his special needs), Hashem loves each and every one of us, just as we are. All Hashem wants from us, is that we always continue to grow as Jews and work on our middot so that we can grow closer to Him. He is just waiting there patiently, for us to turn towards Him and to start our own personal growth. When we work to get rid of our anger, criticism, fears and feelings of helplessness - and instead, fill ourselves up with Hashem's existance, we can accomplish amazing things. And that includes you.

Bottom

friddy12
Junior Supporter

5/29/06 7:48 AM

Hello there ! I am also a mother of a 21 year young man who was diagnosed with HFA at the age of 12. We also live in Israel. He currently learns in an english speaking Yeshiva, very small (about 17 young men) - mainly for guys with different learning disablities. He has been there for about 4 years. It has been a tremendous growing experience for him. I am very interested in hearing about your son's Yeshiva - where is it located ? How many guys are there? Does it have a dorm? Is it "tipuli" and if so what kind work do they do with the guys? What are the qualifications of the staff? Is it an affordable option?

We are also thinking ahead to the future, when the time will come for him to leave Yeshiva and set up as independant a life as possible. What we are currently considering is setting up an apartment of frum guys, who are all high functioning , HFA and aspergers , for assisted living within the community. It is not a hostel - these guys dont need that sort of closed environment. It is important to us that the guys are all properly frum and whoever will oversee the apartment is also frum and there should a Toradik environment. It should also be a framework that continues to help these young men to advance developmentally and spiritually and to reach their true potential . Of course, suitable employment would be a part of this program.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the above mentioned idea.

Text

Bottom

bmwachs
Junior Supporter

5/30/06 1:34 AM

Very happy to hear from you! The yeshiva my son attends is brand new. He has basically been the only student for the past year. We are currently on track to get at least four new students in September. We will be getting a dormitory and a madrich. Up til now, in the past year, my son has lived with his incredibly devoted teacher. He meets twice a week with his very creative and innovative psychologist (who is also the rosh yeshiva). Strong emphasis is placed on living and social skills. The work done with each student is highly individual. A specified treatment program and schedule is designed for each student. The idea is that this is not a place to bunch everyone together and treat them as a group, but to make it highly individual according to the needs of each student. Of course, the more students we have, the more staff we will need in order to accommodate this program. The teacher (who is now doubling as the dorm counselor) has a strong background in special ed (especially PDD) and the psychologist does individual and family counseling, has worked with youth at risk, and of course, people with special needs. The yeshiva will, b'ezrat Hashem, be moving to Jerusalem in the fall. What is the name of your son's yeshiva, and where is it located?
I am going to give you the details of the rosh yeshiva, Rabbi Meir Weiner so that you may contact him for further details. 050-7810182 ravmeirz@yahoo.com The teacher is Rabbi Ashenberg 0546-202-781. Please feel free to get in touch with them. As I said, we are on track to get at least four new students for the coming year. All english-speaking.

Bottom

SuperShuki
Junior Supporter

12/5/06 11:34 PM

Edited: 12/5/06 at 11:35 PM by SuperShuki

Bottom

SuperShuki
Junior Supporter

12/5/06 11:35 PM

Hello, all, especially Torsalicious613. . .
I'm a bipolar of the male variety. 24 years old. Also 'modern orthodox' although I'd rather put it as dati leumi. I'm presently in Los Angeles, hoping to make aliyah in about a year or less.
A Nefesh b'Nefesh (www.nbn.org.il) Social Worker,
Joy Epstein
Clinical Supervisor
joy@nbn.org.il
clued me in to an Israeli organization called Ohr Lenefesh, which provides group housing for mentally disturbed individuals like ourselves ;-) and social workers and other help in Israel. E-mail Joy to find out more.

Torsalicious613- I'm also looking for my bashert. If you can overlook my present lack of money, maybe we could be looking for each other? Drop me an e-mail, at SuperShuki@aol.com.
P.S.
A diagnoses of bipolar isn't all bad. It means you're smart.
All the best,
Yehoshua

Bottom

teddy
Junior Supporter

4/28/07 2:27 PM
User is offline View users profile

I have a grandson who lives in the U.S. who is as well high-functioning. He is interested in coming to Israel to study in a yeshiva. We moved from the U.S. and currently live in Israel. We would appreciate it if you could give us the name of this yeshiva so we could visit and perhaps seek placement for our grandson. We have many questions that we would like to ask and hope you can help us. Thanks so much.
Our e-mail address is ej.bm@hotmail.com

Bottom

shosh860
Junior Supporter

5/15/07 5:04 PM

Hi, I've been married to a wonderful man for 25 years who was diagnosed with Asperger's only a few years ago (he's 50!) Our son, 15, was diagnosed with PDD at 3, and we went to a genetics clinic in our community. We live in Canada, and there is nothing Jewish for our son. Unfortunately, we've had to place our son in a non-Jewish group home due to his severe behavioral problems. One of our daughters is severely learning disabled as well, but able to hold down a job and go to college. Our other daughter is gifted academically. I didn't make the connection between DH and son until much much later. I've been looking all over for a Yeshivah to place my son in, but gave up. What is the name of the Yeshivah your son is in? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bottom

shosh860
Junior Supporter

7/2/07 3:48 PM

I'm from Toronto and just saw your topic on a special needs yeshivah in Israel. My son is only 15, but am looking for placement after high school. Can you please tell me the name of the Yeshivah and contact info?

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > MR/DD Mental Retardation Developmental Delayed > Aspergers < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.