Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: games/activities
Created On 1/22/06 11:26 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

elish3va
Junior Supporter

1/22/06 11:26 PM
User is offline View users profile

Hi! So, i volunteer at an orginization called friendship circle which helps pair up a teen volunteer with a special needs child (be it autism, social anxiety, down syndrome, etc). the teen goes with a partner to their child's house once a week as well as plays with the child on weekend activities - we arent there to be therapists - just friends who can maybe give the parents a little time off or the child a chance to laugh and play.

anyways..... i'm kind of at odds as to what types of games i should be playing. i've tried coloring, painting, singing, running around, etc and the staff has their own games which are good to play but i was wondering if anyone knew of any other games which children with all types of special needs - autism in particular like to play or are good to play? i know it depends on the child, but if anyone knows of anything which can appeal to a wide variety of needs thats would be great.

i would really appreciate it if anyone did!!
thanks so much again!

Bottom

rina miriam
Junior Supporter

3/1/06 4:09 PM

Dear staff,
Hey! Special kids especially need activities that will stimulate their senses and especially for autistic kids-that will be interactive with the perso they're playing with.
for example:
Touch:finger painting, playing with shaving cream (making sure kid dosen't eat it!), making cookies-if necessary help him\her push down on cookie cutters-let them feel and manipulate the dough.
Interactionary games:blow bubbles for a minute then stop and wait for child to "request" more bubbles-allow him to catch\pop them, peek a boo with a piece of cloth, playin with a ball.
spacial games: slides, swings, two ppl. holding him in a blanket and swinging him.

Cause and effect toys.

books,puppets,music tapes, toy keyboards.

I hope this is a good start for you.
There are many more examples of games if you want.
If you want more details about an activity feel free to ask!

Good luck and yashar koach!

Bottom

alwaysbehappy
Junior Supporter

3/19/06 9:08 PM

Hi! As a teacher for autistic kids I hope to give u some good ideas. What u can do are:
Sensory -play doh, theraputty-cutting and pulling. shaving cream, finding something in a bowl of beans or rice...
Art-coloring, dot art,cutting, tracing, watercolor paining...
Books- reading books or finding pictures on a page, having the kid turn the page...
cognition-matching, identifying, sorting,classifieng by food, colors, animals...
gross motor-simple simon, ball-throwing and kicking...
taking to the park and playing tag....

I hope u get some ideas. If u need more u can let me know!

Bottom

meira
Junior Supporter

12/3/06 9:48 AM

Do you know if something like this is available in the Monsey area? We could really use something like this as parents. If it is not available, do you know how we could start it?

-------------------------
meira stein

Bottom

alwaysbehappy
Junior Supporter

3/25/07 9:10 AM

Meira-does your child get any sevices after school hours? He/she should be eligable for a lot of after school therapy-recreation, music, res hab, behavior...

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > MR/DD Mental Retardation Developmental Delayed > Autism < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.