Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: teenagers who have scoliosis
Created On 3/4/06 12:25 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

momoftwins
Supporter

3/4/06 12:25 PM
User is offline View users profile

i would like to hear from people whose teenagers have scoliosis

and tips on what i can do about it !i would like to hear more about therapy or your experience with

back braces

Edited: 3/31/06 at 7:17 PM by momoftwins

Bottom

shainki
Junior Supporter

3/6/06 9:44 PM

Hi,I had a brace!
I had a brace from when I was 13 until i stopped growing or [until i stopped wearing it]
It is really annoying though it's not that bad once you get over it. I had the brace that you wear under your shirt,not the boston brace, and it was a hard plastic,i heard now that they have an elastic one.
The brace really helped me, i think that if i would not have worn it,then my curviture would have gotten much worse. Even though it got worse throughout the early times of me having the brace, later on, the curve evened out Baruch Hashem.
I had to wear an undershirt under the brace with baby powder on my stomach, because other wise it would get sticky and hot. I also had to wear loose fitting shirts as other wise ppl. would notice that i had a bump. Also whenever ppl. would hit into me, i would be scared what they were thinking,as they felt as if i had a hard stomach. I had to wear it all day and night, at the begining. After i think my 2nd dr. check up, i was able to take it off for 3 hours a day. Since then i used to extend the 3 hours to 5-6, then eventually the dr said i would only have to wear it at night, and 6 hours throughout the day. That made me happy!
though you should know that it is really not something you should play around with. i wish i had worn it more that i did when i had it, as my curve that i have today may have been reduced much more. I'm sorry ididn't because now my back has a little hump.
but really it's best to wear it, and listen to the dr,cause this is your back that Hashem gave us, for 120 years so we want it to be straight and strong.
if you have any questions dont hesitate.
Also swimming backstrokes is really good to stregnthen your back muscles!

Bottom

OK
Junior Supporter

3/27/06 11:41 PM

Hey. i wore a brace for 14 yrs of my life.... if u have any questions feel free to send me an email or msg. good luck with ur decisions.

Bottom

momoftwins
Supporter

3/29/06 7:09 PM

i am sorry you had to wear a back brace for so long
in my case it would be a much shorter period of time
thnak you for writng

Bottom

momoftwins
Supporter

3/29/06 7:11 PM

thank you for wriing me back thanks for the tip on backstrokes it will be helpfull

Bottom

emptysmile
Supporter

6/18/06 5:27 PM

Cant you get a rod in you back for scoloiosis?

-------------------------
"life is like a box of chocolates always too many nuts and never enough caramels."

Bottom

WarriorGirl4ever
Junior Supporter

11/9/07 2:18 PM

Hi there. I'm 16 and I remember my doctor, like two years ago, saying that I've got scoliosis. A nurse, in camp said the same thing. My mother knows what's going on and doesn't try to seek help. I don't exactly want a brace, and I don't really feel any back or shoulder pain, but I think my shoulders are crooked and my back isn't straight. What do I do?

A girl in my grade had surgery to correct her scoliosis, but operations-the pain and anxiety involved-terrify me. My parents won't take me to have it done, anyway. I think my mother is trying to deny I have scoliosis. She thinks the doctor/nurse doen't know what s/he's talking about. Any advice?

Bottom

bubbs96
Supporter

11/12/07 8:14 AM

the good news is, not all scoliosis needs treatment....mine didn't. it depends on the degree of the curve. i had to get x-rayed every few months for years to monitor how my spine was growing and to make sure the curve didn't get past a certain point, but in the end my scoliosis didnt need treatment....i just have a curvy back:-P so, maybe ur curve isn't too severe....

"Recovery is a process, not an event."
Even when it doesn't look like it, I am trying, and I'm doing my best in the moment.

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

11/12/07 10:28 AM

I have also heard of chiropractors (really good ones) being able to help with scoliosis.

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

justso
Supporter

11/23/08 2:49 PM

I had a student in the PE class I taught who said Pilates helped her.

There's a yoga class for scoliosis in our neighborhood, but its on Shabbat.

My dd is getting a referral to be checked for scoliosis. In the meantime, we are going to go to yoga classes together.

warriorgirl4ever -- continue to do research on the topic (as your doing now.) maybe if you present some info to your parents they won't feel overwhelmed by it?

It is your body so call your doctor yourself and speak to him/her about it. If you don't have a number for the doc to call back ask the receptionist for a specific time to call.

My friend's son has some issue and they got him a bar to put in in doorway. He hangs from it.

Bottom

alive and growing
Junior Supporter

12/3/12 1:22 PM

i run a newsletter sent by post for frum girls with spinal problems. for more details email rnaddel.naddel@gmail.com

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Orthopedic > Scoliosis < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.