Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: hearing impaired
Created On 1/3/05 10:58 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

hear me
Junior Supporter

1/3/05 10:58 PM

anyone out there with hearing loss? i have one that is less than severe. it's like not being really deaf, nor totally hearing. let me know how you cope in daily life.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/11/05 11:37 AM

Before my family made aliyah many years ago, my sibings and I all went to the doctor for physicals, eye checkups, and hearing tests. Much to everyone's surprise, it turned out that my sister was hard of hearing in her right ear. Because she was still young and hadn't yet began school, nobody had picked up on this problem. But once she started first grade, it did bother her. She couldn't hear the teacher unless she was sitting on the right side of the classroom, so her left ear was facing the teacher. Also, she cannot hear people on the phone with her right ear. But B"H it is not severe enough to require a hearing aid or anything.
What is the extent of your impairment? Do you wear a hearing aid?

Bottom

willnevergiveup
Junior Supporter

1/13/05 10:08 AM

hi i wanted to tell you that it is not the end of the world . my brother has 2 children who are hard of hearing
him and his wife put everything they can into there kids and it payed up. Although his son is also autistic he is in a home for adults like him and is happy there
baruch hashem his daughter is married also with a deaf man today his daughter has 2 beautiful children who are 100% hearing and healthy and smart.
his daughter exept for her hearing is very7 gifted and talented especialy in art i think that hashem may take away something but he gives back in other areas more then others.
today with all the technology there is soo much you can do to help with the loss of hearing.

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

1/23/05 11:35 PM

Hearing loss comes in many variaties.

There is a conductive hearing loss - where the sound is blocked from going into the ear.
This could be something as simple as being blocked by some ear wax, and a simple
cleaning would do the trick. Other forms of "conductive/blocked" hearing loss can
be from ear infections, a fusion of the ear bones, other ear bone abnormalites (eg. fractures)
a hole (perforation) in the ear drum, or (chas vsholom) something as serious as a tumor.

Another big type is sensorineural hearing loss - where the sound gets into the middle ear
but the ear does not convert the sound into nerve impulses to the brain, or that the
brain does not/can not interpret the sounds. Examples of this type of hearing loss
include noise induced/acoustic trauma, aging (presbycusis), side effects of medications,
tumors, vascular reasons, infections, brain abnormalities, autoimmune disorders.
Sometimes people have "sudden" sensorineural hearing loss for no reason at all.

Then there are people who have a "mixed" hearing loss - with a combination of
conductive and sensorineural.

Then the "hearing loss" can be described as "mild" "moderate" "severe" "profound".
Some people just need the sounds to be only a little louder to be able to hear,
while some people need to have the sound alot louder to be able to hear.

It is important that you understand the type of hearing loss that you have, and
how it is to be treated (eg, with medicines, surgery, hearing aid/amplification,
or just observation with the recommendation to avoid any acoustic trauma to the ear to
reduce further damage to the affected ear, or even to the normal ear).
It is also important at times to get xrays to make sure there is no serious reason for the
hearing loss. Further, a workup is worthwhile to make sure what affected one ear
(for example an infection) would not affect the other (hopefully normal ear).

Wishing you well,
P. Ledereich, MD

-------------------------
P. S. Ledereich, MD
Family Ear Nose and Throat Care
1033 Clifton Avenue, Suite 204
Clifton, NJ 07013
Telephone: 973 470 8266
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901
Telephone: 845 357 8302

Bottom

hear me
Junior Supporter

1/24/05 10:37 PM

thank you for your replies. my loss is sensorineural and moderately/severe. in fact i have quite a lot information on hearing impairment, but until now i just didn't learn to live with it confidently yet. communication with people in certain situations is what makes it difficult. i'd like to know what others with hearing loss have to share.

to lose sight is to lose contact with things.
to lose hearing is to lose contact with people.
-hellen keller

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

1/25/05 12:34 AM

OK, so I recommend you
1) get worked up for the cause(s) of the hearing impairment to make sure
it does not progress (if preventable)
2) avoid acoustic trauma to preserve the hearing you have left
3) try to obtain a hearing assisting device (eg - a hearing aid).
there are many styles and types of hearing aids that help fit all
budgets and lifestyle preferences.

Wishing you luck

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Clifton, NJ 07013
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901

Bottom

hear me
Junior Supporter

1/26/05 12:00 AM

my loss is genetic; i was born this way. and B"H it never became worse, it was always on the same level. there's really nothing i can do to help it become worse or better. i can only work on myself to improve the quality of my life as is. thanks for your concern.

Bottom

chani
Junior Supporter

3/25/06 10:30 PM

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter with severe/profound hearing imparement. She has a cochlear implant in one ear and wears a hearing aid in the other. She goes to lots of speech therapy (5 hours a week) and we work with her constantly to teach her to speak.
If there are two things I want her to learn about her hearing loss, they are these:
a) You are not limited to or by your hearing loss, but since it was something given to you by Hashem, it means that only through dealing with deafness can you fulfill and bring out your ultimate potential. This means that there is nothing to hide or be ashamed of. Embrace it. Wear your hearing aids with pride and don't be afraid to tell people "I AM DEAF!" Just imagine the looks on their faces (especially since people always assume a deaf person is also "dumb") when they discover that you can speak and think and are such an amazingly smart, charming, beautiful person!
b) Advocate for yourself. If you can't hear someone, it's okay to say "I didn't catch what you said. Can you repeat that?" or "It's really noisy here. Would you mind please facing me so I can read your lips?" Using your sense of humor and charm in such awkward social situations helps make it easier, but if you are confident (i.e. you make the concsious decision in your mind that "I will not be ashamed. I am proud of who I am.") then people will pick up on that and treat you the same. If you feel uncomfortable, it makes others feel uncomfortable as well. But, if they see that you are fine with your deafness, then they will get past it too.

I hope that this helps you in some way.

P.S. How old are you? Do you wear aids? What attitude do you get from your family, friends, teachers regarding your hearing loss?

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

3/26/06 11:12 PM

I could not say it better myself.

It should not be a problem to wear hearing aids, the same way it is not
a problem to wear eyeglasses!

There is an excellent organization that helps hearing impaired children, called
Haazinu, based out of Brooklyn.

Wishing you and your family health,

P. Ledereich, MD

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Clifton, NJ 07013
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901

Bottom

yeshivah
Junior Supporter

8/27/06 1:06 AM

i dont really cope i have constant ringing in my ear n i keep on losing a drop of hearing at a time and i'm fed up with life i feel so lonly n worried about my hearing

mark gotlieb

Bottom

yeshivah
Junior Supporter

8/27/06 1:08 AM

wanna shmuz about it on the phone?

mark gotlieb

Bottom

Iluv2Hear
Junior Supporter

9/5/06 3:40 PM

hi. i just wanted to let you know that i was born with a hearing loss and i wear hearing aids in both ears and i b'h consider myself like any regular girl out there. i b'H had a wonderful childhood and i recently got married and i'm very happy. i think the main way to cope in life is just to look at yourself like any other person out there and dont think of youself as a "different" person. cuz you're not. the same way someone else wrote, "there's nothing wrong with wearing glasses..." so same thing, there's nothing wrong with wearing hearing aids. they're both there to correct something. hope you have hatzlacha. and remember, you're no different then anyone else in the world.

Bottom

jerseyhub
Junior Supporter

1/4/07 3:00 PM

that may be coorect however it will be quite a while till the stigma of hearing loss is not an issue ,shiduchim etc

Bottom

trying
Junior Supporter

1/23/07 9:38 PM

Originally posted by: Iluv2Hear
..... "there's nothing wrong with wearing glasses..." so same thing, there's nothing wrong with wearing hearing aids. they're both there to correct something.

I remember a teacher in high school who said same as quote above. I didn't think she was right. Now after being married to a hard-of- hearing husband for years I still think she definitely was wrong. The more I live with it the harder it gets. Don't get me wrong, I like my husband. But had I known beforehand all the hardships I probably wouldn't have married him. He also has cousins, with hearing impairment, who manage better than him for ex. on the phone. So I guess each case is different. I would c'v never divorce him but this is a real "nisoyan" for me but I do believe everything's bashert.

Edited: 1/23/07 at 9:39 PM by trying

Bottom

Mark3000
Supporter

7/15/07 10:02 AM

I have what they call a tiny hearing loss but i find it to be very frustrating. If you email me your phone number we can chat

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Otolaryngology - ENT > Hearing Loss < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.