Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: suffering from sinuses
Created On 2/14/05 6:52 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Cindy
Junior Supporter

2/14/05 6:52 PM

I never knew anyhting about sinuses till I got my frist sinus infection beginning of this winter. Since then it hasn't really left me. I was on antibiotics 3 times already but it always seems to come back! the pain gets soo severe that I called in sick to work so many times already! Funny thing is that it comes back the same time of the month EVERY month. Does it have to do with my hormones?

Bottom

live it up
Junior Supporter

2/15/05 4:05 PM

I am also suffering from severe sinusitis my Doc. is recommending surgery, what do you know about this ?:

Bottom

Cindy
Junior Supporter

2/15/05 7:24 PM

IS your sinuses constant or they come & go? Do you use any painkillers? I find that peppermint oil really relives me.

If mine would be constant I would deffenetly go with surgery. what surgery does is, they open your sinuses & so it drains without soo much pressure.

But mine comes only the time of the month & last me for about a week & puts me into a real bad mood.

I would love to talk to you. Do u have an emial address ?

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

2/26/05 11:25 PM

There are many different type of sinus infections:
acute, subacute and chronic.
They can be caused by bacteria, and they can be caused
by fungal infections.
They can be allergic in nature, and they can be caused
by some anatomical features.
Surgery will only correct anatomical blockages of the sinuses.
Before considering surgery, I recommend maximal medical therapy,
which CAN include (depening on the patient), topical nasal steroids,
antibiotics, systemic and topical decongestants, mucolytics,
saline drops, amoung many other treatments. It is a fairly common
disorder (just take a look at how many different over the counter
medications are in the pharmacy - it is a multi billion dollar business!).

Hope this helps

-------------------------
P. S. Ledereich, MD
Family Ear Nose and Throat Care
1033 Clifton Avenue, Suite 204
Clifton, NJ 07013
Telephone: 973 470 8266
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901
Telephone: 845 357 8302

Bottom

YennerEckVelt
Junior Supporter

2/27/05 11:30 PM

Let me tell you my experience. I had sinus surgery seven years ago. It did absolutely nothing for me. I suffer constantly from infections. My father-in-law is a doctor. He told me that it works about 30% of the time. Usually doctors give you a prescription for antibiotics for ten days or so. He told me that the body really needs three weeks of antibiotic therapy to rid the body of the infection. What I have been doing for the last several weeks has been a big help. I got a waterpik (which is meant for teeth) it costs about 30 dollars. I mis one teaspoon of sea salt with a gallon of boiled or distilled water. I also add a tablespoon of baking soda. every night before I go to sleep (or before shabbos) I put 12 ounces of this solution in the waterpik and put the tip in my nostril distributing it equally between both sinuses. you must be careful not to sneeze or swallow while the tip is in the nose. Not only is this refreshing but it really helps you clear your nasal passages and you wake up with an almost clear nose! So first of all, make sure that you are on antibiotics for three full weeks. zythromax or ketek works well. Amoxcicillyn (sorry if misspelled) gave me a terrible stomach ache even when taken with food. You probably feel miserable and depressed which is a result of the foginess in your head. In other words, STAY AWAY FROM SURGERY LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! As soon as you start the antibiotics, start the waterpik therapy. If your doctor doesn't liek th solution then ask for a different one.

Let us know if it worked for you.

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

3/11/05 12:52 AM

Hi - see my reply within your letter.

>Let me tell you my experience.
One anecdotal experience.

>I had sinus surgery seven years ago. It did absolutely nothing for me. I suffer constantly from infections.
I am sorry that you had a miserable time. Just like purchasing a car, sometimes you get a lemon. I do not know who did your surgery, and even if the doctor was the greatest in the world, the surgery may not have been a success in your case. Remember the greatest Healer is the One Above, in whom all refuas are possible. If Hashem had wanted you healed, than it would have been so.

>My father-in-law is a doctor. He told me that it works about 30% of the time.
I do not agree with that number.

>Usually doctors give you a prescription for antibiotics for ten days or so. He told me that the body really needs three weeks of antibiotic therapy to rid the body of the infection.
This is usually very effective, and is a good options for lots of patients who have acute sinusitis (One week is usually enough).

>What I have been doing for the last several weeks has been a big help. I got a waterpik (which is meant for teeth) it costs about 30 dollars. I mis one teaspoon of sea salt with a gallon of boiled or distilled water. I also add a tablespoon of baking soda. every night before I go to sleep (or before shabbos) I put 12 ounces of this solution in the waterpik and put the tip in my nostril distributing it equally between both sinuses. you must be careful not to sneeze or swallow while the tip is in the nose. Not only is this refreshing but it really helps you clear your nasal passages and you wake up with an almost clear nose!
I agree with that 100%. That is an extremely helpful suggestion that I often tell my patients.

>So first of all, make sure that you are on antibiotics for three full weeks. zythromax or ketek works well. Amoxcicillyn (sorry if misspelled) gave me a terrible stomach ache even when taken with food. You probably feel miserable and depressed which is a result of the foginess in your head. In other words, STAY AWAY FROM SURGERY LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! As soon as you start the antibiotics, start the waterpik therapy. If your doctor doesn't liek th solution then ask for a different one.
I disagree with that 100%.
1) 3 weeks of antibiotics can be too much for some people
2) using antibiotics too much can cause resistant bacteria.
3) surgery works well for many people (although not 100% for 100% of people)

It sounds like your surgical "cure" was not complete. I would encourage you to seek a second opionion and see if that helps you. Wishing you a refuah sheleimah.

P. S. Ledereich, MD

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Clifton, NJ 07013
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901

Bottom

chanieF
Senior Supporter

3/14/05 2:05 AM

don't know if i'm missing s/t or not as i skimmed this thread...but i'd have an x-ray to check for anatomical variations that may put one at higher risk for infections; such as deviated septum etc. in this case surgery would be VERY beneficial!
fyi- also make sure you're not living in 'mildewy'/damp quarters, and yes, the daily saline. as for antibiotics, i think 2 wks is more like it (as with most infections).

Bottom

YennerEckVelt
Junior Supporter

3/14/05 7:19 PM

I did have a deviated septum which was corrected. I did get other opinions from other doctors after the surgery when the problem wouldn't go away and so far every single one was of the opinion that surgery is not the best option and that it should only be tried as a very last resort. This is not with reference to deviated septums, only regarding widening the sinus cavity.

Antibiotics may work in a shorter period of time for some people. However, if a doctor sees that it isn't going away after ten or two weeks he should be aware that some people need three weeks and not just try another ten days or two weeks of antibiotics.

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

3/23/05 1:00 AM

see my comments in your text:

>did have a deviated septum which was corrected. I did get other opinions from other doctors after the surgery when >the problem wouldn't go away and so far every single one was of the opinion that surgery is not the best option and >that it should only be tried as a very last resort.
I agree with that. Surgery should be tried after failing medical therapy.

>This is not with reference to deviated septums, only regarding widening the sinus cavity.
OK - I agree.

>Antibiotics may work in a shorter period of time for some people. However, if a doctor sees that it isn't going away >after ten or two weeks he should be aware that some people need three weeks and not just try another ten days or >two weeks of antibiotics
I do not know if I would treat all chronic sinus infections with antibiotics at all. - 1, 2, 3, 4 or more weeks?
remember that antibiotics have their own set of issues - resistant organisms, allergies, etc. THis is why
antibiotics are a prescription medication, and can even cause deaths! (Hashem Yishmarienu).

Hope you feel better.

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Clifton, NJ 07013
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901

Bottom

YennerEckVelt
Junior Supporter

3/24/05 7:31 PM

I am feeling better. For the first time in my life I had a bad cold and didn't get an infection as a result of sinus irrigation.

In my previous post I wrote ten or two weeks. It was a mistake. I meant one or two.

Bottom

refua
Junior Supporter

3/18/06 7:14 PM

chronic sinus infections can also be caused by a condition called primary ciliary dyskenisia in which the cilia in the nose and sinuses do not function properly. it makes a person more prone to congestion and infections.

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

3/26/06 11:14 PM

Yes, this is a rare disorder. It can be diagnosed by a
simple swab of the nasal mucous membrane and then
studied under scanning electron microscopy. I often
have looked for this syndrome, but have never actually
seen it!

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Clifton, NJ 07013
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901

Bottom

obbl900
Junior Supporter

5/18/06 3:25 PM

any tmj problems also

sam green

Bottom

hichum
Junior Supporter

5/26/06 1:11 AM

I suffered from chronic sinuitis for a long time. I had surgery on the sphenoid sinus and deviated septum. surgery was successful but my body suffered total collapse. CSF leak was suspected but not confirmed. official diagnosis is now orthostatic intolerance due to autonomic nervous malfunction. My mobility has basically ceased for almost a year now. Has anybody heard of anything remotely similar to what I am experiencing???? please respond if yes!

hichum

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

5/29/06 11:48 PM

I have never seen that, but certainly csf leaks can occur during sinus surgery. I would suggest you get a second, third even a fourth opinion.

Some ideas for you - without knowing anything specific about your case, may include:
a neurology work up,
a csf leak nuclear scan
check the nasal liquid for glucose
consider dyeing the csf, and looking for the dye in the nose looking for a leak
if there is an autonomic dysfunction, there are severeal "Jewish" autonomic dysfunctions.

Good luck to you.

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Clifton, NJ 07013
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901

Bottom

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Doctor

5/30/06 12:01 AM

correct - tmj pain can feel like sinus pain. so can an "atypical facial pain"/ an neuralgia, etc.

P. S. Ledereich, MD
Clifton, NJ 07013
144 Route 59
Suffern, NY 10901

Bottom

rinx
Junior Supporter

9/19/06 1:10 PM

I get these attacks that some say are migraines, but I'm trying to find out if it is connected to sinuses... when it's very humid-it kills in balls behind my ears and behind my eyebrows... Is that sinuses? sometimes when I take sinus or allergy meds I feel better (or its just my imsgination?) and something that really helped me feel better so far-is this little machine like a humidifyer, but it evaporates peppermint oil into the air....what does the DR think about this? Any connection to sinuses??

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Sinus Disorder > Sinus Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.