Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: panic attacks
Created On 12/15/04 6:43 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

motcha
Supporter

1/19/05 8:52 PM

part of the stigma exists because of the lack of awareness. Its like racism. When different races get to know each other they look down on eachother less.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/20/05 7:16 PM

But people aren't interested in being made aware of these problems. They'd rather pretend they pashut don't exist. There have been so many people throughout this thread and others on this site who have said that their own parents/siblings won't aknowledge the fast that they are depressed or have anxiety or bipolar... kal vachomer other random people. I wish someone here would recognize that I am sick and need help, but they are so oblivious and just expect me to "snap out of it" or "stop being so moody", and they just have no idea that it doesn't work that way.

Bottom

feelingbad
Junior Supporter

1/21/05 12:15 AM

has anyone had alot of anxiety and panic attacks when they started dating i m starting and i have terrible atttacks.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/21/05 4:26 PM

Sure. I needed to take my first medication when I started dating ten years ago. The pressure was enough to make me get extremely anxious. It cam,e to the point I couldn't walk down the street. But I'm better now. through meds so I guess that was the begining of my recovery.

Bottom

feelingbad
Junior Supporter

1/22/05 10:59 PM

my parents tell me to cut it out and they dont believe in medication or seeing a doctor. this also isnt my only time i get anxiety. also when i got to job interviews or start a new job.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/22/05 11:05 PM

Your parents unfortionately don't understand. Many people don't get it. But you do. Do you have health care? I get coverage from my Oxford health plan for 30 therapy sesions a year if I go to someone on their list which is what I do. All I pay is a ten percent co pay. The therapist chrages me $75 a sesion so I pay only $7.50! Do you have a job? Can you afford care?

Bottom

feelingbad
Junior Supporter

1/24/05 1:05 PM

i have a pt job and some money

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/24/05 1:47 PM

Why don't you try a psychologist? I can suggest you mine. She's in Manhattan and Brooklyn. I like her. She's not perfect but no one is. I do have to tell you that she isn't frum but shes not anti frum. I can suggest my psychiatrist to you too if you want. He has helped me.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

2/15/05 10:00 AM

I never had a panic attack before, but then one day this week I got a lot of bad news in one day and then I just couldn't breathe. I had to keep telling myself, just relax, chill out and breathe... But I couldn't calm down! I finally went to take a nap and when I woke up I felt somewhat better. Is that what a panic attack is about??

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

2/15/05 7:17 PM

Please get yourself help. If i knew who you were I'd do whatever I could to get you help. But I don't.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

2/16/05 4:47 PM

I guess that means that it wasn't a good thing :-)

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

2/16/05 7:08 PM

What wasn't a good thing?

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

2/18/05 5:50 AM

What I said that happened to me... B/c you said I need help!!

Bottom

feelingbad
Junior Supporter

2/24/05 1:15 AM

i ended up going to a therapist and im going back so we will see how it works out.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

2/24/05 3:47 PM

Kol hakavod to you!!! That was definetely a step in the right direction!!!

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

2/24/05 6:22 PM

Hey,
I'm happy you saw as therapist. Was he/she nice to you?

Bottom

Ida
Junior Supporter

3/2/05 1:08 PM

I had postpartum panic attacks. Upon doing research I read that caffiene can trigger the attacks. I stopped all caffeine including soda and chocolate and I have not had an attack in 3 months. I recommend anyone who's not on medication to try it.

Bottom

feelingbad
Junior Supporter

3/4/05 4:43 PM

he was nice but from the two times i went he hasnt really been helping. i went with this girl a couple of times and no panic attacks so b'h im heading in the right direction.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

3/5/05 6:28 PM

I don't think two times is really enough to judge... Give it a couple more weeks at least before you decide to either stop or continue!! Good luck with both the therapy and the girl you're dating! Btw, are you going to tell her about your attacks?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

4/5/05 3:30 AM

For panic attacks, I think meditation and journaling are helpful. By journaling, I mean to list when the attacks occur, and what precipitates them, so you can find a pattern and start to get a handle on them. Taking control is important and empowering. Meditation is also very effective, but many people very a very serious mistake; they try to do it WHEN they are stressed out. This has very limited effects. The best thing is to meditate when you are relaxed- it's like making a deposit in the bank...building your relaxation account. If you try to meditate when you are stressed out, it's like making a deposit and then immediately writing a check against the deposit you just made- the check bounces.

If you don't know how to meditate, start by setting aside time to sit comfortably for 10-15 minutes and focus on the sensation of breathing. When thoughts and concerns come up, let them drift away, and bring the attention back to the breath. Remember, the mind and body are connected, so if one is relaxed, the other will follow.
A Lynn

Bottom

Joelle
Junior Supporter

11/5/05 9:03 PM

Hi,
I didn't read all of everyone's messages, but I just wanted to say that when my husband was having panic attacks, he tried different medications and had many adverse side effects. He decided to try to help himself. He read a book called From Panic to Power (I think) by Lucinda Basset, that helped him a lot. He likes to read the Rabbi Tewrski books also, but that particular book, plus a lot of internal coaching, seems to get him through most of the hard times. He was suffering from agoraphobia, and was panicing in crowds, elevators, etc...
It's been several years now, and I would say he's doing about 90% better. Hope this was helpful to someone out there.

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

11/16/05 1:07 PM

Wow - it is great to see the sharing here. FYI - Panic Attacks are DEFINITELY treatable - with AND without medication. If you think you are suffering from this - call RELIEF or another referral source and ask for a therapist that specializes in Cognitive-Behavior Therapy - treating things like anxiety is what CBT is BEST at. People can save themselves years of running in circles from one med and one therapist to the next, looking for relief. If you don't find someone within the Jewish community, seek a competent CBT therapist outside the community. It will be well worth your time. (No, I don't get any kickbacks on plugging the effectiveness of CBT - it is simply the truth - and the research backs it up.)

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

11/20/05 12:40 PM

I've also been dealing with panic disorder, with agoraphobia (anybody had that?). I second the CBT recommendation. My therapist claims that panic disorder is the easiest to treat and that you can recover completely. I haven't been on medication, so don't know anything about that.

Like Susan, I tend to keep my feelings inside, and I think that's also what caused it. I also have (or had, rather) low self-esteem and have trouble believing in myself and trusting myself. I'd love to talk more with people who are going through it.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

11/21/05 7:18 PM

It's funny I stumbled davka onto this page...

Just this afternoon, I was scheduled to have a meeting with a Rav that I really didn't want to talk to and someone was forcing me to... Anyways, for like 10 minutes before I went in there I was like hyperventilating. I really could not catch my breath. But what is the line between extreme nervousness and a panic attack??

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

11/21/05 8:07 PM

A panic attack is the fight-or-flight response, so it's perfectly normal to experience it in dangerous situations. Or emotionally dangerous, I guess. The problem is when people experience them out of context. The point where it becomes panic disorder is when you're nervous because you anticipate a panic attack, especially if you avoid things.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

11/21/05 11:37 PM

Was the rov nice about it when he saw you so nervous? In general, was he understanding? I am happy you went to a rov.

Bottom

frumtherapist
Supporter

11/23/05 1:22 PM

People who suffer from panic attacks can sometimes not attribute the attack to a specific antecedent, or prior, event. It seems to come from nowhere, and this contributes to the anxiety. Again, CBT is an excellent, time limited, and effective treatment option.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

11/24/05 12:15 AM

LFH-
Welcome back! How did the meeting go?
A Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

11/29/05 9:26 AM

Hey everyone!

The meeting was ok. He just told me alot of scary stuff about myself that I already know and need to work on. But guess what? As a result of my meeting (in a very back-sided way) I agreed to go to therapy. After all this time of me suffering... I can't believe I agreed. My parents are even paying (although they don't know that I know they are). Man! What am I going to talk about? I start next week and I'm sooo nervous! I really don't want a female therapist cuz I think women are dumb (no offence meant to anyone), but I'm kinda being forced to. Dr. Lynn, do you have any good arguments why I shouldn't go to a female? I really want a male shrink cuz I don't trust women and I don't have much respect for them. All the people I speak to in my daily life is Rabbis and I like that. Aghhh, what am I going to do?

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

11/29/05 7:48 PM

Woohooo! I am so happy you are finally going to therapy. By the way, I go to a therapist who is a woman and she is the best one I've seen. Don't say women are dumb. Its not true. And Im a guy. Don't worry. If the therapist is good youll like it. Start out by telling the therapist that in therapy you expect to be able to say anything you want without her making fun of you. Once you make that deal youve got nothing to worry about. I make that deal with anyone I go to for therapy.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/1/05 7:36 AM

Motcha,

Shouldn't your deal be a given? I'm sooo nervous! Really, I have no idea what I am supposed to talk about. I so don't want to go. I can't believe I agreed- cuz I'm now starting to regret it! Help!! I know deep-down that this is definetely the right thing for me to do. I need it so badly, but I'm really scared!

Bottom

SUSAN
Supporter

12/1/05 7:35 PM

Hi everyone
this is susan the one that originaly opened the topic, i cant believe that this topic bought such a reaction. i guess that there are more people out there that suffer from some type of panic disorder then we know.
By me it is so wierd beacuse i get like clock wise once a month, i can usely predict when
I will have a panic attack day before it comes, it is a mentel feeling and also i have physycal symptoms like insomnia the night before or migranes,
I am so comfused as what to do. like i said in the past posts i refuse to take any medicaition beacuse the side effects of these medicaitions make me feel worse, i cannot function while on these medicaitions, and i have to be a totaly functional person when i am a mother of 5.
Now, going to therepy is an option though with my medical insurance i am not given too much of a choice, maybee someone can give me a name of a therepist that takes americhoice in brooklyn.
I was thinking maybee god forbid i have something nurological wrong with me maybee I need to see a nurologist beacuse when i am having a panic attack i have alot of physycal symptoms like dizziness, head ackes, seeng double for a few seconds, feeling weak,
i am also trying to think what could have bought the panic attacks to my life suddenly 3 years ago maybe like one of you said" attribute the attack to a specific antecedent, or prior, event. It seems to come from nowhere, and this contributes to the anxiety."
maybee i should search into things in my life that might have attributed to these attacks
What do you guys think should i also go and see a nuroligist just to make sure that physcly nothing os wrong with me?.......

waiting to hear from you guys
thanks susan

-------------------------
smiling wont cost you a penny

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/1/05 9:53 PM

Don't worry. You can talk about what ever you want. Something is bothering you? Right? So say, "Something is bothering me."
Therapist: Could you put it into words.
You: Thats the point. I dont even know what to say!
Therapist: That is very common.
and on it goes......
Hows that for therapy?
These people are trained for years in schools. Theyve seen all types. Including people like you and me.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/1/05 9:54 PM

Have you ever seen a psychiatrist?

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/1/05 10:45 PM

LFH-
I am soooooo proud of you for having the courage to seek help. I think if you would feel more comfortable with a male, then see a male. I cannot make a good argument for not seeing a female therapist, except if you are not comfortable, that is a good enough argument. Please do keep us abreast of developments; enquiring minds want to know....
A Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/4/05 7:54 AM

Thanks for the kind words Doc. Unfortunately the psychologist that I was meant to see cannot fit me into her schedule and so now I just got the number of someone else. I hate this. It stinks. I'm so depressed and just wish I had a friend to speak to, but they're all married and busy with their families... Anyways, I guess I'll call the other psychologist later. And no Motcha, I have never seen a psychiatrist- the most I ever did was tell my GP that I was depressed. Aghh, it's all a lost cause. I just feel myself sinking lower and lower, every day gets harder. Help me.

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/5/05 12:13 AM

LFH,
Keep searching for shrinks. Hashem has the right one lined up for you- male or female. Don't give up. You owe it to yourself to check it out. You mentioned about friends. Even though friends are essential to a happy, well balanced life, I feel strongly that they are not a substitute for a good shrink. It is not fair, or ultimately helpful to have people wear more than one "hat". For example, even though I am a licensed shrink, when my wife has a problem, I try to be supportive and helpful, but I try hard NOT to cross the therapy threshold, b/c I think ultimately it would mess up my marriage. Friends and family have important roles in our lives, no doubt, but the therapist role should be separate. Best wishes finding someone.
A Lynn

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/5/05 12:22 AM

You are experiencing depressed thinking. Depressed thinking says,
Its no use.
Nothing will work out.
Why try.
Its all a waste.
Its too bad you cant hear me say those things. I am very good at saying them with the depressed nigun lol :-)
I've been there. Ocasionally I go back to depression land even now for short visits. But with treatment you will get better!
I told a girl tonight about my meds and she accepted it. I never thought Id get to this level. You will get better too.
If I were you I'd ask a psychiatrist about the POSSIBILITY of medication. I am telling you. For me, meds are great. Once I started getting depressed and my psychiatrist upped my dose. 4 days later I felt fine. I don't know why people make such a big deal about anti depresants.
(Disclaimer: I am NOT a dr. Only take drs advice.)

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/5/05 12:24 AM

Telling GP was an act of courage. I am impressed by your strength and desire to get better.

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

12/5/05 12:39 AM

LFH, are you male or female? And what kind of experience with women have you had that makes you think we're dumb??? No, I'm not offended, I think it's funny and very naive. My therapist is a woman, and she helped me a lot. But I'm a woman too .

What if you tell yourself that you're just feeling depressed, but you don't have an objective reason for being depressed? Don't make up a reason, like resenting your therapist who you haven't even met. Don't justify your feelings. Just accept them as feelings. And then ask yourself -- what do you really think about your life? Not how you feel about it, but what you think rationally. Is this making any sense?

And if you need friends to talk to -- we're here for you. I don't know if you're a man or a woman, but here's a virtual (((hug))) .

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

12/5/05 12:48 AM

Susan, all those symptoms are typical of a panic attack. I get them too. Do a search online -- there is a lot of info. about panic attacks. You can try going through the CBT workbook for panic disorder on your own.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/5/05 7:32 AM

I'm looking now for a different therapist, just getting so frustrated. You know how like when you finally agree to do something and it doesn't work out, you get so disappointed? And I don't know what's wrong with me, I haven't been so down in quite a while!

Motcha, I'm sooo happy for you! About the girl you're dating I mean! Hatzlacha!!

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/5/05 11:54 AM

Thanks

Bottom

HopefulMommy
Senior Supporter

12/5/05 12:07 PM

LFH, what helped me when I was so down is to rememer that what you're feeling is temporary. You've felt better before, and IY"H you'll feel better again. Another thing that helped is not to focus on how I was feeling and not to feel sorry for myself, but to be busy doing something productive. Do a chesed for someone. It won't take away that low feeling, but at least consciously you'll be able to say that this is a nisayon from Hashem and you're handling it the best you can and are functioning to the best of your ability. It will help you feel better about yourself. And daven for help.

Good luck with finding a therapist!

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/5/05 12:10 PM

I am a simple guy. When you feel so aweful you get medicine. (Just took mine 10 minutes ago!)

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/5/05 11:19 PM

Motcha-
Hatzlacha with the girl!
A Lynn

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/5/05 11:40 PM

Thanks

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/7/05 7:12 AM

Ok guys, I found a therapist! I'm so excited! I found him all by himself and had him approved by the person I trust most.

I'm meeting him for the first time tomorrow and I'm sooo nervous. What do I talk about??

HELLLLLLLLLP! I can't believe I'm really going to do this. I just hope Hashem helps me say the right things and that this therapist should be a shalaich to help me get better and finally rid myself of this depression.

Daven for me... LFH

Bottom

Dr. Lynn, Psy.D.
Psychologist

12/8/05 11:09 PM

LFH-
Mazel tov! It's going to be fine. Let us know what happens...
A Lynn

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

12/12/05 7:51 AM

Baruch Hashem it went well.

My therapist was really nice. And he's really smart and he asked me questions that forced me to think honestly. It's amazing how capable we are of decieving ourselves when things are too painful to think about, but then, I was asked to think and the truth came out. Scary actually. Sometimes he would ask me a question and I would just say, "I don't know!" and he was like, " You DO know." and I really did... Am I making any sense?

I guess it's a good sign that I'm looking forward to my session this week, right?

Thank you for your support Doc!

Sincerely, LFH

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Mental Health > Panic Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.