Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: panic attacks
Created On 12/15/04 6:43 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

SUSAN
Supporter

12/15/04 6:43 PM

hi
i am a frum mother of 5 who suffers from panic attacks i would like to find out if any one out there in the frum world is also suffering from panic attacks and what r u doing to get help.
i went to my doc who prescribed me medicaition but i refuse to take it after i read the negetive side effects that it has.
usuly what triggers a panic attack in me is stress and boy there r enough stress out there for me with raizing teens and there yeshivas and parnasah and everyday life.
if anyone can offer me some good advice how to get rid or at least deal with these panic attacks it would be a great mitzvah.

-------------------------
smiling wont cost you a penny

Bottom

GamZuLetovah
Supporter

12/15/04 7:38 PM

There is an organization called Relief 718-431-9501, they might be able to help you.

The sun is always shining! There are just times we don't see it.

Bottom

downsyndrome
Supporter

12/15/04 10:38 PM
User is offline View users profile

Susan: I really want to help you, but this time I don't feel comfortable doing it on a public forum. Please provide me with your private e-mail address and I will write to you.
Sarah
e-mail: downsyndrome@earthlink.net

Bottom

Admin
Administrator

12/16/04 12:08 PM

FYI: In cases like these, where you wish to exchange information but don't want it to show publicly, you can use the 'private message' feature by clicking on the icon in the upper right hand corner of each message (assuming that that user has enabled 'Allow Private Messages:' in their profile). They can then view their private messages by clicking the link shown below.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/26/04 1:07 AM

Susan,
I don't have panic attacks. But I have depression now in remission. I am not a psychologist. But I suggest you get help. You ask if other people experience what you do. Of course they do! Its just that they dont talk about it! You have no need to be ashamed. Get help. but mot from your general practitioner. Go to a good psychiatrist and consider therapy. side affects are a concern. But good psychiatrist can help you moniter if you are experiencing them. If you get side affects they can try a new med untill yoy find one that doesn't give you side affects. I take 4 medicines and have no side affects. Don't suffer. Get help.

Bottom

LOOKINGFORAFRIEND
Junior Supporter

12/26/04 4:10 PM

I too am suffering from depression. I also take meds but their not working that well. Would u mind telling me which meds you're on ?

Bottom

maidel770
Junior Supporter

12/28/04 1:19 PM

Ive suffered with anxiety which includes panic for a number of years.. This is excabated when I dont sleep well,then worry about not sleeping... I got it very bad after I had a baby.. I find that a combination of Zoloft and Klonopin works great for panic..
Ive also heard that paxil is good...
hope this helps..

Bottom

helpless mom
Junior Supporter

12/28/04 3:58 PM

there are many medications that have been proven to "work" for depression however there is no one medication that works for every-one. As a depression sufferer I have tried several medications and I personally have found Wellbutrin to be the most effective. Ask your doctor (preferably a psychiatrist) which medication best suits YOUR personal needs

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/28/04 9:51 PM

Hi,
I didn't see your question.
I take celexa -30 mg its an anti depressant and seems to work
I also take Trileptal- a mood stabiliser
klonopin anti anxiexy
Buspar anti anxiety
What are you taking?

Bottom

EK
Junior Supporter

12/30/04 10:53 AM

I have been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety for the past three years. The craziest part is that one day I was fine and the next day I had my first panic attack leading to constant and extreme anxiety. Unfortunately my life, school/job was put on hold for about 6 months because of the intensity and I ahd to move bak home with my parents.
Although recommended, I too have not wanted to use medication because of the side effects and also because I am afraid that I won't feel "normal". I have been seeing a psychologist throughout this time and the change in my life has been dramatic. For a short time I was seeing my psychologist as well as a cognitive behavioral therapist.
The cognative therapist does not neccessarily deal with why you are anxious, but focuses more on how to change the behavior that leads to panic attacks. I learned how to stop a panic attack before it starts. It is really important to remember to breathe through it (although this may seem silly it does help). Try to breathe in and out through your stomach.
Also, it is helpful to try to identify what it is that is causing that moment's panic. You might start to realize that you are attaching "danger" to a situation that is not really dangerous as a way for you to cope with where the real fear is (i.e. afraid of flying because you feel out of control) In my own experience I have found that I have started to panic about terrorism because I was starting a new job.
Something really important to repeat to yourself is that a panic attack is NOT dangerous although it really does feel like it is. You will not die or lose your mind. You are not going crazy, your mind/body is finding a way to cope with overstimulation and runaway thoughts. My therapist recommended writing on an index card "Anxiety is not dangerous. It is uncomfortable, but it cannot hurt me." She recommened that I carry it with me and when I start to feel anxious take out the card and read it. ( I only used that technique for a short time and although it also seems like it couldn't help, it does help you understand that you will be okay once the anxiety passes).
Another helpful technique (that I originally thought was completely dumb until I reluctantly tried it and it worked) is to keep a rubber band around your wrist and everytime you have an anxious thought snap the rubber band hard! You will see that after a few days the thought of the painful rubberband is enough to chase the anxious feeling away without physically snapping it.
I find that a big part of anxiety is wondering and being nervous about the next panic attack (thank G-D that is a challange I no longer deal with). It is called anticipatory anxiety. This type of anxiety can be even worse that what the fear or problem actually is. Try to discover if you are nervous about getting nervous. Realize that facing the situation might be less scary than the reality that you have now created.
Although I am not as anxiety free as I could be if I took medication, I am living my day to day life pretty normally. I got married, I have a job, and I can eat and sleep at night again. Although I thought my life was over, I do live most days without anxiety (I thought this could never happen) , but I do face little bursts. Thank G-D I haven't had a full blown panic attack in about 2 years. Unfortunately for many anxiety is lifelong battle. I pray for you as well as myself that we have the strenth to live strong.

Bottom

RachemNu
Junior Supporter

12/30/04 1:48 PM

The side effects of the medications can not be worse than the situation you are without taking your medication.

My best advice to you is to listen your doctor.
You have to be in control of yourself first and then all your problems will disappear.

Be Gezunt

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/30/04 1:49 PM

You sound like you have a top notch psychologist who really taught you allot of coping skills. By the way, I know someone who had some panic attacks and he is 99.9% fine now. They have almost totally gone. And he didn't even get help.
If you don't need medicine that is wonderful. Medicine is not something to be taken for no reason. But I just want to say that medicine does not necesarrily make you feal abnormal and does not necesarilly give you side affects. Every person reacts to various medicines differently.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/30/04 1:54 PM

Originally posted by: RachemNu
The side effects of the medications can not be worse than the situation you are without taking your medication.

My best advice to you is to listen your doctor.
You have to be in control of yourself first and then all your problems will disappear.

Be Gezunt

When you say "controll of yourself" what exactly do you mean?
Also, all of a persons problems never "disapear."

Bottom

Booster
Junior Supporter

12/30/04 2:32 PM

There is a great book for people with anxiety/panic attacks. it is called "You are not Alone". also newly available in Yiddish; "A Yid is Kainmul nisht Alain". you can buy it in your local jewish book store.

consider this great quote: Attitude determines Altitude!

Hatzlucha Rabba!

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/30/04 2:46 PM

Originally posted by: Booster
There is a great book for people with anxiety/panic attacks. it is called "You are not Alone". also newly available in Yiddish; "A Yid is Kainmul nisht Alain". you can buy it in your local jewish book store.

consider this great quote: Attitude determines Altitude!

Hatzlucha Rabba!

while it is true that attitude is important in dealing with mental health challanges, I disagree that a book about emuna is "a great book for people with anxiety/panic attacks." Panic attacks do not arise from a chisaron in emunah. Therefor, increased emuna is not the primary way of remmedying the cause of the panic. It is the medical aproaches of therapy and medicine. Obviously, everyone must improve their emuna, and this is especially true for people facing unique challanges, but just as one would not tell someone who is in a wheel chair to just "change their attitude and get up and walk," so too it is equally illogical to tell a person who is suffering from panic attacks to "change thier attitude." People with panic attacks allready have the right attitude. They want to get better and controll something that is distressing and in the case of the posters here are willing to work hard at doing so. It is the people who don't understand mentall illness and think that they should just "have a positive outlook" that need to change their attitude. I hope you do not consider me rude for being so blunt. It is just that when I was depressed it bothered me so much when friends told me to just snap out of it.

Edited: 12/30/04 at 2:47 PM by motcha

Bottom

Booster
Junior Supporter

12/31/04 10:21 AM

I can understand you! but, the author of this book herself went through this situation, so understanding and knowing what it feels like, she can provide advice that is applicable.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

12/31/04 1:03 PM

I didn't know that. Also, didn't mean to jump on you so. It is just that allot of frum people think that they can deal with mental health problems through emuna and its just not true. When I was in 7th grade I literally spent all my free time reading and rereading Zelig Pliskin's book, Gateway To Happiness. I even brought it to camp. When other kids were playing ball or learning mishnayos baal peh I was reading that book. Clearly, it wasn't the answer. The answer was medicine, which really didn't exist then. This was in the early 80's. prozak, which revolutionised the world of medicine wasn't released untill 1988. And therapy.My parents sent me to a therapist who was a waste of time. Frum people need to realise that seforim don't cure mentall health except in rare cases. They only act to support ones recovery. But therapy and meds are the main thing. I hated it years back when people told me my depression was my yetzer hara.
Wishhing you a good Shabbos.

Bottom

SUSAN
Supporter

1/5/05 10:22 AM

HI
I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AND ADVICE . I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT READING A BOOK ABOUT EMUNAH WILL NOT SOLVE MY PHYSICAL PANIC ATTACK PROBLEMS. ALTHOUGH IT MAY HELP ME DEAL WITH MY INNER FEARS THAT PARHAPD THATS WHAT TRIGGERS MY PANIC ATTACK.
I BELIEVE THAT MY PANIC ATTACKS REALY COMES FROM MANY YEARS OF KEEPING MY FEELINGS INSIDE AND NOT TALKING TO ANYONE ABOUT MY STRESS. I AM THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO TRIES TO DEAL WITH MY PROBLEMS ALONE AND AFRAID TO ASK ADVICE . BARUCH HASHEM I AM HAPPILY MARRIED WITH 5 BEAUTIFUL KIDS BUT WE WENT THROUGH ALOT OF CHALENGES IN THE 18 YEARS THAT WE R MARRIED AND I BASICLY DEALT WITH ALL OUR PROBLEMS ALONE AND PUSHED AWAY ANYONE WHO WANTED TO HELP. I THINK WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME NOW IS LIKE A BOTTLE OF SODA THAT HAS BEEN SHAKEN AND WHEN YOU OPEN IT IT ALL BURSTS OUT. I THINK THAT NOW IN THE PAST 3 YEARS I STARTED LETTING MY FEELINGS SHOW AND IT IS COMING OUT SLOWLY LIKE THE GAS FROM A SODA BOTTLE AND IT IS COMING OUT THROUGH PANIC ATTACKS. AS FAR AS HAVING EMUNAH YES I SHOULD BE STRONGER AND LIKE MY DEAR HUSBAND ALWAYS SAYS TO ME WHY DONT YOU LET HASHEM DO HIS JOB, HAVE EMUNAH AND THINGS WILL WORK OUT. I KNOW THAT WHEN I LEARN TO DEAL BETTER WITH LIVE AND STRESS I WILL BEABLE TO CONTROL MY PANIC ATTACKS. AND I HOPE TO DO SO WITHOUT MEDICATION. RIGHT NOW WHEN I GET A PANIC ATTACK DAY I TAKE XANAX WICH MY DOC PRESCRIBED ME IT HELPS ME DEAL WITH THE PANIC DAY ONLY MAKES ME DROWSY WICH I DONT LIKE. , I WONDER IF ANYONE OF YOU TOOK THIS MEDICAITION BEFORE AND WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT.

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/8/05 11:59 PM

I have been taking xanax. But only when I was overwhelmed and feared that otherwise I would lose control and have a full-blown
attack. I take a very low dose .25mg. When things get real bad I do take .50mg, and guess what It does make you sleepy.(and sometimes sleep is VERY good. You wake up with a different attitude.)

Bottom

EK
Junior Supporter

1/9/05 11:33 PM

During the worst time when I was constantly feeling anxiety on a regular basis my doctor prescribed xanex too. I took it aroung the clock (every 4 hours) at a low dose for a few months until I was able to get under control. The doctor prescribed .50 and told me I could take less depending on my reaction. That dose made me feel like a zombie so I took .25 or sometimes even half of that. I'm not even sure if such a low dose (the half of .25) made a difference chemically, but psychologically it helped me gain control.
Are you seeing a psychologist or a social worker? If you have realized that alot of your anxiety comes from bottled up emotions, don't rely soley on Hashem to cure you. He has equipped you with resources to make a change. It definetly takes time for therapy to help, but you might find that the combination of therapy and medication will help you overcome your anxiety, and maybe even eventually you will make a positive change and learn to express yourself.

Bottom

Jules
Junior Supporter

1/10/05 5:13 PM

Hi Susan

thanks so much for exposing this topic. I get anxiety and thought that it was taboo, and should not be talked about, espcially since I'm at age where I'm looking for a shidduch. By asking your question, you made alot of other people feel ok about they are and that they are not alone!
But in addition to anxiety, I get hurt by other and don't say a word, which ends up hurting me more. can you help with that? The result is often me ending breaking down

Thanks again

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/10/05 5:52 PM

Welcome Jules.
One thing that I have come to realize from this website is that there sure are a lot of us people "in the parsha" who are too scared to tell anybody about our problems or seek help because of what it would "do" to our reputation. Isn't that just horrible though? Since I'm already on the topic, I would really like to thank the people who started this website, because now at least I have one place to express myself where I can remain anynonmous and get help at the same time.
Back to your problem... I don't know anything about anxiety, but I can give you an idea as to what you can do about your second problem. I used to get very offended when people insulted me and I would hold it in for a very long time. In ninth grade a girl in my class told our teacher that I hurt her feelings and I got sent to the principal. I did not forgive the girl until the end of 12th grade! B"H, I have worked on this midda a lot, and I found that the best way for me to deal with it is too wait just one day to cool down, and then I email/text message/call the person who hurt me and inform them of such. I don't like to tell them right away when they've hurt me, as I am still too angry- but you must tell them or else they'll never even know that they offended you! Most of the time people simply do not mean to hurt you at all, and we just misinterpret their words! So as hard as it may be, do yourself (and them) a favor, and tell them that they have hurt you so that it doesn't end up hurting you forever. Also, if you ever get angry at someone when they hurt your feelings, try listening to Rabbi Frand's tape entitled, "What? Me Get Angry? Never!" It's amazing and I listen to it whenever I feel the need. B"H it has helped me tremedously and I recommend as a staple in every household!

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/10/05 6:58 PM

I want to second what you said. Whoever made this website really did us a service. I assume its the moderator though I don't know who he is either. I go to about.com's bipolar website (I used to be diagnosed as bipolar, now its revised to plain depression) and they are nice there but being that they are not frum they don't get it. Like the whole shiduchim thing with meds. I always "knew" that tons of frum people have mental health issues (sounds better than illness) but seeing all of us on this board is great.
Regarding telling people they've hurt your feelings I think it depends. If it is rational for you to be upset then it makes sence to be open about it. If, however, one is being overly hypersensitive then I think therapy is a better place to deal with it. Unless the person is a trully good friend, you run the risk of driving people away if you tell them they insulted you if you are not being rational. I've told true friends, "I know this is crazy but you insulted me, or, I worry if you are my friend..." and since they understood what I was going through they were understanding. But with people you are not so close you should only address an insult if it is trully an insult. Remember, depression can be a condition rooted in distorted thinking. I hope I am saying this right. What do you guys think.
P.S. What do you guys think of a frumster type of dating site for people taking meds like us? It would have to be done in a way that guarantees our anonimity. Or how bout since we are all worried about shiduchim we try seeing if some of us are apropriate for eachother. I'm sick of getting dumped when I reveal I'm on meds. On the other hand, some people with, sat depression, don't want to marry a person with a simmilar diagnosis.

Bottom

Admin
Administrator

1/10/05 7:12 PM

I am happy to hear that this site is doing what it was intended to do.

As for the last thing you mentioned:

Originally posted by: motcha

P.S. What do you guys think of a frumster type of dating site for people taking meds like us? It would have to be done in a way that guarantees our anonimity. Or how bout since we are all worried about shiduchim we try seeing if some of us are apropriate for eachother. I'm sick of getting dumped when I reveal I'm on meds. On the other hand, some people with, sat depression, don't want to marry a person with a simmilar diagnosis.

It's funny that you mention it because this idea came up lately a couple of times at disscussions and meetings of "askanim". Such a site might be in the works soon (who knows maybe even as part of FrumSupport.com).

It is very important to help us get the word about this site out there. The more people that know about it the more chance of finding someone in a similar situation. So, please try to do what you can to spread the word.

Thank you
Admin

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/10/05 7:24 PM

I told 2 people about this website b/c they have children with "issues", and I was soooo excited to see them posting! Both of them live in small, frum communites and have nobody to talk to about their kids... but now they have a whole sea of people to commiserate with!

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/10/05 7:35 PM

>It's funny that you mention it because this idea came up lately a couple of times at disscussions and >meetings of "askanim".
Send regards to the askanim and a big thanks. :-). What happened? All of a sudden people are doing something about this?! Sounds to good to be true.
You can't imagine the heartbreak I've gone through in shiduchim. One girl didn't beleive me when I told her I take meds. She said I look to normal. I guess thats a compliment.
A certain major frum convention had a discussion group on shiduchim this past year and someone who was there told me not a single person discussed the problems people like us have. Sorry if I sound like a complainer. On the other hand, my friends have been very understanding and some shadchanim have really tried to help. So there is alot of good people ouyt there too. When I get married I want to make shiduchim for people on meds bli neder .
I found out about this site by seeing a ad in Yated. Thought you should know that.

Edited: 1/10/05 at 7:36 PM by motcha

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/10/05 9:47 PM

I was so happy to find a support group that is frum. My family is not very supportive,but at least they try not to get me upset.
(although between them I'm considered a mental case.) B"H therapy has helped me cope with it . My heart goes out to all of you
who are going through this.It aint easy.

Does anyone have a combination of panic, depression? or does one follow the other? I used to have panic attacks(pretty bad) But with meds and therapy I B"H bacame much better. I even went off the meds for two years. I am back on meds now but only for deppression.

Bottom

EK
Junior Supporter

1/10/05 11:24 PM

From my experiences, depression and anxiety often go hand in hand. It is "normal" to get depressed when you feel that you, or things are out of control. It is also hard to feel many different strong emotions at the same time, so they can replace one another. I know that for me, if I'm feeling anxious and then I am angry about something, the anger generally replaces my anxious mood, or that the anxiety can spiral into depression because I feel so helpless, or that I'm anxious about being depressed. It is definetly a circle that feeds on itself.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/11/05 12:35 AM

Yes. One of the most important parts of handling your moods are recogising what "trigers" your depression. Strees is often a trigger. Thus if you are experiencing stress you can be on the lookout for depressive symptoms and deal with it through medicine adjustments by your pdoc, therapy, and other apropriate measures. I have managed to get through college by recognising that I can only handle 3 courses at a time. It may take alittle more time but it is the only way I can do it.

Bottom

helping hand

1/11/05 5:21 PM

While we encourage discussion we would really appreciate that detail medication treatments should not be discussed and medications should only be taken as prescribed by YOUR physician.

Not every medication or dose works the same for every person therefore what works for one does not necessarily work for others. Secondly not every diagnoses is the same you may have similar or even the same symptoms but end up with different diagnoses which in result require different treatment.

Therefore if you think that you have a mental health issue don't be your own doctor and don't delay getting the proper help talk to your doctor seek professional help with a therapist and if your are told that you need to see a physiatrist and take medication DO SO think of it as if you would of had stomach pain and your doctor told you to take a medicine you would not hesitate to take it, why not do the same in these situations

Edited: 1/11/05 at 5:22 PM by helping hand

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/11/05 7:19 PM

Obviously, medication should only be taken as prescribed by your physician. It is illegal to take prescription medication any other way. It is also almost impossible. I don't have access to illegal meds. You'd have to be crazy to do that. And that should be stressed on this site.

Yet, it is still important that we be able to discuss our medication. One reason is that this way, if someone has a side affect they can ask others if they have had similar experiences.

A psychiatrist told me that he believes an educated consumer is the best customer. Our discussion of medication is part of that process.

Also, it is not enough for pdocs to dole out meds to us as unquestioning patients. The days of the obedient patient are over in America. We need to have a voice as the community of mental health patients too. Right now, frum therapists have a voice. They have, for example, organizations like Nefesh. But because we are stigmatized and ashamed of whom we are, we the sufferers have no voice. Discussing our meds and treatments is part of our voice.

of course it goes without saying that the psychiatrist has the final say. I have such hopes for this discussion group. I hope we aren't censored (except halachikly, of course.)
The non Jewish discussion groups, such as the bipolar group at about.com is full of discussions regarding meds. If chas vachalila a person had cancer, wouldn't he want to speak to other people who had undergone cancer treatment so that he could learn about his options? Isn't mental health the same thing?
Helping hand, you speak in terms of "we," saying, "While we encourage discussion we would really appreciate..." Are you the moderator?

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/11/05 10:16 PM

My dr. is always open to my suggestions of which medsto try. I have researched many of them and have heard from people about some
meds,and My dr. always takes these things into consideration.Every person has to have an active role in their healing. research,ask around, THEN discuss it with your dr. every persons body reacts diff. to diff. meds. What works for one ,doesn't always work for others.
Be an educated patient. Most good dr.s will appreciate it.

Bottom

Admin
Administrator

1/12/05 7:20 PM

Yes Helping Hand is a moderator as you can see by the title under the username and the moderator icon

Edited: 1/13/05 at 9:41 AM by Admin

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/13/05 4:46 PM

Ok. I don't remember seeing the icon there originally.

Bottom

gamzeyaavor
Junior Supporter

1/16/05 11:56 AM

i have been taking wellbutrin for the past four years for major depression. It worked Boruch Hashem very well, of course, along with talk therapy! I tried stopping ithe wellbutrin twice. THe first time, I landed up extremely depressed after around 3 months off the medication. This time I had a full blown panic attack and ended up in the emergency room. I have not experienced uncontrolled anxiety for the entire time that I was on the wellbutrin. Now, I am four months pregnant and i've been suffering from up and down anxiety -some days being better than others. My Dr. now prescribed me xanax. I'm afraid to keep taking it because i've heard that it's addictive. I also don't understand why suddenly after four years of doing well on medication I'm having this problem. In addition, i feel mild depression as well. Maybe this is because i'm pregnant. I don't know!
I'm so dissapointed, i thought that my depression was under control.
Does xanax really help for anxiety? Anyone has been helped long term on xanax?

Bottom

gamzeyaavor
Junior Supporter

1/16/05 12:09 PM

i just want to give the people in shiduchim some chizuk. I'm 22, and got married six months ago. I've been on medication for four years - and experienced all that you people write about regarding Shiduchim. When I told my husband on our fourth date, he was so cool about it, i was shocked. I was so nervous before telling him, i had already been dropped once before because of the meds. Anyway, there really is a HAshem up there and he's watching over all of us. I do not k now why we have to suffer this way.....and i know it's hard to remember that HAshem loves us so much - especially in these helpless trying times. I happen to have had a setback two months ago, which i haven't had for three years. It has been very stressfull on our marriage. However, my husband loves me, and he has married me for everything I am. Believe me, all you out there, although meds seem to take up your whole personality and existence, there is so much more in you. I like to refer to my medication as "Bechira Pills" - meaning, they give me the capability to live in this world with the same bechira that everyone else deals with. YEs, without medication, when there's a chemical imbalance, sometimes we are unable to make choices; we feel controlled by our thoughts, fears, emotions, anxieties. Medication is a gift from Hakadosh Baruch Hu. Embrace the gift - pray to Hashem and I PROMISE you that if you believe there is more to you than mental illness, you will meet a person one day who feels the same!
I am going to have a baby in a few months and i'm suffering now from depression and anxiety again - so if i'm giving you CHizuk, i'm giving it to me too. HASHEM LI LO IRA! HASHEM loves us. HAshem loves us. Hashem loves us. Hashem loves us. Just keep reminding yourself. Hashem loves us...

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/16/05 12:24 PM

I am not a doctor, but I think pregnancy can cause mood swings because of hormonal stuff. In fact, someone here posted about their post partum (after giving birth) depression. As the admin. says, listen to your doctor. If you are concerned about adiction then ask him. Good luck. And don't feel bad about your moods. Its natural. Youve done nothing wrong.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/16/05 12:29 PM

Thanks for the chizuk. And I wish you well in what your going through. Mazal Tov on the pregnancy knaina hara.
Remember, like always, your moods will pass. Also, you said you had a setback recently? Were you pregnant then? That might have been the cause.

Bottom

EK
Junior Supporter

1/16/05 1:13 PM

The problems with panic attacks is that if you really do have a chemical imbalance, they don't really go away, it's a matter of controlling it. Hopefully you get to the point of controlling it (through medication or behavior modification) where you don't really even have to deal with it day to day. It sounds like you were in that place. My therapist told me that for many people this is a lifetime issue similar to a physical disease (like diabetes etc.) I myself have been married for 2 years and want to have a baby and even though I have been doing well I am terrified. I'm curious to know if your anxiety has aything to do with the pregnancy.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/16/05 3:01 PM

Wow Gamzeyaavor, thank you for sharing your story. It is true that Hashem is the one in charge, especially when it comes to shidduchim, but sometimes it is hard to see it clearly. I have not yet gone out with with anyone, becuase I think I would like to wait until I have my depression under control (I have yet do go to the dr...). As for your re-occurance of depression and anxiety, it is most probably (take it from a pre-med student) being caused by the chemical imbalances that come along with a pregnancy. The good news is, it IY"H won't last too long after you have the baby. The bad news is you still got a coupla months to go. So if the doctor recommened something, I guess it can't hurt to try it, rite?

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/16/05 3:03 PM

>So if the doctor recommened something, I guess it can't hurt to try it, rite?
not only wont it hurt, it could save your life. I know of a post partum who was freaking out. The pdoc put her on meds (she had never been on meds) and her life was saved.

Bottom

rainbow
Supporter

1/16/05 3:40 PM

Panic attacks,Deppression are a lifelong struggle. It is just a matter of learning to live with it. I was off meds for 2 yearsB"H. Now
I am back on meds. But my dr. says such relapses usually last about 8-10 months. I chose to go back on meds Cause I feared of
having a bad attack and I don't want my kids traumatised by it. It was a very smart decision. I too took meds during pregnancy.
The most important thing is for you to trust your doctor.That way you will feel confident with whatever choices you make.
I follow my doctors recomendations, I have changed meds very many times,and he always was very accomodating. Even when I was bothered by small side effectslike dry mouth. He told me to switch there is no reason to be uncomfortable. These meds
have so many side effects some make you sleep, some keep you awake.
But keep on trying till you find the one thats right for you. Also your body gets used to certain meds and they are then not so effective. Just hang in there. You will im yertza hashem feel better. As long as you are aware of your ups and downs just dont let it get out of hand . An attack usually comes without warning. If you feel you need meds to keepp you from being jumpy dont
hesitate. I'm in the same boat. And yes there is smooth sailing ahead.

Bottom

SUSAN
Supporter

1/16/05 7:17 PM

Wow i didnt even imagin that this topic that i started would get so much reaction .I guess there r more people out there then we know who suffer from some kind of panic disorder.
reading all your inspirational words especialy gamzeyavor it gives me a chizuk and to see that i am not alone with my panic disorder makes me feel a little better. beacuse i really have no one to talk to about this problem although i just opened up to my sister who told me that she also suffers from panic attacks beacuse she is going through some stress time in her life right now.
I think it might be genetic beacuse looking back at my life i remember my mother going through something wich probebly was panic disorder beacuse i know she saw a phsycologist wich prescribed her volume medicaition
I am just praying to hashem that I wont suffer from it too long that all the stresses in my life will go away and that the panic attack will go with them. I really dont want to get into the rutine of medicaition i would rather do without it.
again thank you all for your responses and continue to write and to inspire each other. when we say tehilim everyday we should all keep each other in mind that hashem should give us all a refuah shelema soon.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/16/05 8:11 PM

I don't know. To me medicine is such a no big deal. But I have to admit I really didn't want to take it before I started. And I went off it a few days after I started with disastorous results. But after taking medication for 10 yrs (11? I don't even remember) its like such a gornisht to me.
You are married so taking medicine won't prevent you from getting a shiduch. Why suffer if you can take meds? (i'm not saying you need meds. Thats a doctors decision. By if they think it will help you what do you gain by not taking it.)

Bottom

Jules
Junior Supporter

1/16/05 9:27 PM

Thanks gamzeyaavor!

Although, B"h I'm not on meds, I've had to take Ativan once in awhile to calm myself down. And some morning I take "rescue medication" , a natural med. Have you (or anyone) ever heard of Stress X, another natural med?

Bottom

EK
Junior Supporter

1/16/05 11:21 PM

Someone once told me about a spray that you spay in your mouth that is completley herbal. You can probably find it in a health food store. Supposedly it works but I've never tried it.

Bottom

Jules
Junior Supporter

1/19/05 8:20 AM

Hi ....

does anyone get anxiety from big change: ie moving cities, people moving away?

Bottom

SUSAN
Supporter

1/19/05 9:20 AM

Sure any changes in life can be a major issuue and if you are more sensetive then others you are most likely to get some type of axiety.
I think the main thing before you do any changes in your life as far as moving for egzample to a new city you should prepare yourself amotionlly as well as physicly I know from personal expirience and its coming from a person who gets panic attacks very easily if i prepare myself before of whats going to be the good and the bad it is much easier for me to do any change,
wish you good luck. And dont worry they say in hebrew Meshane Makom Meshane Mazal and it should all be good luck and a good change for you.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/19/05 10:43 AM

>does anyone get anxiety from big change: ie moving cities, people moving away?
Sure. Thats very common.
i'll tell you a big yesod. You know how the pediatrician looks at a million ear aches a day and they are all the same. The psychiatrist sees the sasme thing. Tons of simmilar anxiety... depression. Its just that no one talks about it so we all wonder, is it just me? but many of us here are experiencing very simmilar stuff. We need to remember that. Its too bad there isn't enough psychological awareness out there.

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/19/05 4:08 PM

I don't think it's a matter of awareness, as much as it is rendered a stigma and because of that people don't talk about it.
I wish I had someone to talk to though!!!!

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Panic Disorder > Panic Disorder < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.