Login
Questions or Comments!
admin@frumsupport.com

Get FrumSupport News! Join our mailing list.
Email:

Search

Navigation:

Tehilim List  < Refresh >
TOPIC TITLE: PPD
Created On 1/4/05 1:34 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

PPD
Junior Supporter

1/4/05 1:34 PM

Just wanted to bring up a topic I don't see here. Post Partum Depression - it's out there and especially in "our" world - people suffer and they suffer alone because so many of us put on the is fake happy face with 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. kids in tow. I suffered from ppd after the birth of my son it was 10 or more agonizing months - I am finally getting help - I joined a support group and after going two times I feel like I belong, but the sad part is I don't feel like I belong in the frum community. I have found maybe one or two people who say they suffered to and we talk all the time but I see people suffering and they think it will just pass - yeah eventually it will but why suffer - There are therapist and there is medication. One big mistake we have in this world is that if we say something Oh my gosh it will affect our childrens future. but if we don't share our experiences and we suffer alone what have we created!
just a thought.....

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

1/5/05 10:49 AM

I highly recommend you read, "Getting Up When You're Down," by Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski. I bought it 'cuz I thought it would give me insight and help me get over my depression, but it mainly focuses on post-partum depression in the frum society, so it didn't benefit me that much. However, I think it would talk to you.

Bottom

motcha
Supporter

1/30/05 12:05 AM

Hi,
There was a great frum radio show tonight with hosted three frum women who had post partum depression. One of them, i forgot her name, gave her number, 718 435 5335. She said any one with ppd can call her about it. She is working to spread awareness and support for ppd in the frum community.

Bottom

twttin
Junior Supporter

6/7/05 10:31 PM

I had PPD when my first and second were born; didn't realize what was happening to me, got pulled really low. Still scared of babies, even of older kids - they're confusing and too hard to deal with.

It's been 4 years - anyone tell me why I would wanna do it again? I'm interested on and off.

-------------------------
twttin

Edited: 6/7/05 at 10:32 PM by twttin

Bottom

lookinforhelp
Senior Supporter

6/14/05 1:14 PM

I just read a book about PPD and it says that there is indeed a 50% chance of re-occurance, but then if you want to look at the half-full cup, that means that there is a 50% chance that you will have no problem whatsoever!! Please check out this link I found for you!!

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/ppd/exkk6.htm

Hatzlacha rabba!!

Bottom

ImaD
Supporter

6/15/05 5:16 PM

hi twitin,
There is an organization in Israel called Nitza, started by a frum woman who suffered from PPD, dedicated to helping women through peer counseling, mutual support, and other kinds of assistance when necessary. I don't have the number off hand, but can get it if you are interested. Their "motto" and the driving philosophy behind everything they do is "you are not alone". B'hatzlacha, and may Hashem help you to have the clarity to make the right decision, whatever it may be .

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

12/13/05 1:00 PM

did you guys hear about the dispute betwen brooke shields, the famous actress and model and tom cruise, the egocentrist jerk who calls himself an actor? he says she shouldn't take meds for her ppd. but VITAMINS! LOL, VITAMINS! what a jerk. did i say that already? sorry. sorry, tom, GUESS WHAT? sometimes WE DO NEED MEDICATIONS. WE ARE ALL NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU OH HOLY ACTOR ONE! NOT! i totally sympathize with people who have ppd, although i've never had it and i hope sincerely to g-d i never get it-- it seems like a crippling disease. plus i have bpd and ocd already (what's up with these three letter words for like, every disease, lol?) i've got enough to deal with! plus, quite an assortment of meds in a coctail that is more than i'd like to acknowledege.. couldn't we all just not get sick? ahhhhhh.....in a perfect world. which doesn't exist (right now).. but who says it can't exist in the future? i mean hey, we're all working on it everyday already anyway, in our own special ways..it's bound to happen someday. nah, in fact, i guarantee it. maybe not in our lifetimes, but it will happen, mark my words. did anyone say.. moshiach?..hmm..

atara

what the hecka is a signiature?

Bottom

Date78
Junior Supporter

12/19/05 5:12 PM

It is interesting that you mention Brooke Shields. I happen to be reading her book that just came out about her journey with PPD called Down Came the Rain. It was so reassuring to read about someone's experiences that were so similar to mine. As I was reading, I kept thinking, "I can totally relate." I have not finished it yet but I would highly recommend it. I gave birth to my first child about seven months ago and have been dealing with some difficult times very recently, since I just stopped nursing. I think forums such as this one are so important for people to realize that they are not alone and that there are other people out there going through similar things. I would be happy to share my experiences with someone who needs someone to talk to about this issue.

Hang in there. You are not alone.

Bottom

Heth
Junior Supporter

1/16/06 3:10 PM

I have suffered 3 PPD's after each child i had. I also felt very alone at the time as it was a long time ago and PPD was a taboo subject. However, there is much more help available now, and if i can help you in any way , with suggestions or tips as to how i coped, then please be in touch with me. H

Mother of 3 , psychiatric social worker

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

4/11/06 1:48 PM

heth, read "down comes the rain", by brooke sheilds. it's a good book, and may address some of your issues.

atara

Bottom

Torsalicious613
Senior Supporter

4/11/06 1:49 PM

sorry, heth, and everyone else, i didn't realize it was previously mentioned. sorry, duh.

atara

Bottom

teanecktherapist
Junior Supporter

1/24/07 6:13 PM

post partum depression is a serious problem for many new mothers - as many as 10- 13% of new mothers will experience it. We are lucky that there are more resources out there then ever and its become more acceptable to talk about it. If someone had a depressive episode once - the changes are greater that she will have another. However, if she prepares and learns therapy techniques she can be more capable of battling a mild depression, should it occur. Very often a support group is helpful - and many are available through larger hospitals.

For New Jersey mothers there are a lot of resources available. A new state law was passed that went into effect in October 2006 - which requires OB/GYN's to educate mothers about postpartum depression and to screen for it - both before and after delivery. Therefore, many hospitals have set up their own screening programs. In addition, there is a state initiation called "Speak Up When You're Down" - which provides information and referrals.. They have a 24/7 hot line: 1-800-328-3838 and their website address is www.njspeakup.gov ( this is funded by the state of new jersey).

Also - there are organizations that provide information online. One of the largest is Postpartum Support International - they provide information and articles on a variety of topics. Hope this helps.

Sarah Schleifer,MSSW,LCSW

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

5/16/07 11:30 PM

the only problem with the screening is that they probably ask you at the postpartum checkup about PPD. meanwhile, you can get it anytime in the first year.

frumsw

Bottom

BCS
Junior Supporter

1/6/09 2:20 PM

i am also suffering from ppd and the hardest part it that i can not discuss it with anyone (besides my therapist) cause its really taboo in our community, i would be so embarrassed if my in-laws would find out cause they probably never heard of it, but on the other hand i do need help from others. how can we get it more accepted in our community?

Bottom

su7kids
Senior Supporter

1/6/09 3:31 PM
User is offline View users profile

I don't know that you need to be the pioneer, but the only way to make it more acceptable is to talk more about it and make it known that other people suffer from it.

Sometimes when you DO start to talk about it, other people come out of the woodwork and admit that they suffered, too. And the suffering is so needless, because help is out there.

So, I'm saying TALK about it!

Proud Mom of 7, MIL to 3, Grandmom of 4!

Bottom

Flowergirl
Junior Supporter

1/7/09 10:47 AM

I also suffered from PPD and am now on Zoloft for it. I have actually spoken to a few people about it and although it seems taboo, there are quite a few people willing to talk about it. It is also being discussed in the Binah magazine a lot which is truly a great service to our community. There are also an organization which I think focuses very much on PPD called "Anchor". I think they are based in Boro Park. BCS, if you want you can PM me if there's anything I can help you with.
Just know that you are not alone!!!!

Bottom

frumsw
Senior Supporter

3/27/09 8:48 AM

In Lakewood there is Yad Rachel which helps mothers with PPD-mentors, household help, help with counseling etc.

frumsw

Bottom

BCS
Junior Supporter

5/22/09 10:01 AM

i am still going through it and my doc does not want to prescibe me meds she wants me to go to a psychiatrist but i do not have money for that
does anyone know of one that takes hip medicaid?

Bottom

downandout
Senior Supporter

5/22/09 12:47 PM

Call Relief. I'm sure they will be able to tell you if any good psychiatrists in your area take Medicaid. Their number is (718) 431 9503.
Good luck!
Know that you're not alone in this...

I want to love my life. My desire is what counts.

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Post Partum Depression > Post Partum Depression < Refresh >

Navigation:

The information in this site is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. FrumSupport disclaims any liability for the decisions you, the User, makes based on information on this site. By using this site, reading, viewing, posting or otherwise, you signify your assent to the Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all these Terms and Conditions of Use, please do not use this site. FrumSupport may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at anytime. Your continued usage of FrumSupport will mean you accept those changes.

If you think you or someone you know has a medical emergency, call your doctor, Hatzolah or 911 immediately. FrumSupport cannot and does not monitor forums and postings and cannot and will not pro-actively obtain help for users in need as FrumSupport does not have the funds or people power to accomplish such tasks and it will infringe on the anonymity of each user. Therefore, FrumSupport’s liability is limited by this paragraph and as further set forth in the Terms and Conditions of Use.